• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

using a short action cartridge in a long action ?

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Is it bad to use a long action and then use a barrel/chamber for a short action cartridge?
I will probably guess reloaders do it for freebore and really long bullets?
Just pondering what my next action purchase might be...

Is it bad to use a long action and then use a barrel/chamber for a short action cartridge?
I will probably guess reloaders do it for freebore and really long bullets?
Just pondering what my next action purchase might be...

Not at all. It’s pretty common and even preferred to run Short Action Magnums in long actions. Allows you to run the longer heavier high BC bullets and still fit them In your magazine without having to seat them so deep you take up case capacity. Keeps from having to single load them

Last edited:
Not at all. It’s pretty common to run Short Action Magnums in long actions. Allows you to run the longer heavier height BC bullets and still fit them In your magazine and not have to single load.
In fact, it's common enough that Tikka streamlined their manufacturing by using the same long action for all their rifles. Only change is the bottom metal for the various magazines and bolt stop.

Yup, and still can’t get 300wsm to feed right.

I had issues with the 6.5 PRC in a long action with AICS Mags but I believe that was more due to stock fitment than anything else. It would feed the stuff loaded over 3” but shorter would leave it unsupported just long enough to nose dive into the front of the feed ramp.

To prevent this issue I picked up some of the LRI mag spacers with the feed ramp in the front. Solved the issue entirely.

Reactions: buggz
If savage did it, you can too!

I have an old 112 (long action bull barrel) that runs 22-250. Works just fine.

I attempted it. 6.5 SAUM, 700 Long Action. Magpul AICS mags. Worked really well.

Attachments

• 20190928_182905.jpg
    20190928_182905.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190928_183505.jpg
    20190928_183505.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190928_190626.jpg
    20190928_190626.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 101
What are the bad things from using small cartridges in a long action?
Feed problems, and?

Say I put a 6.5CM SA prefit on a long action.
Bad?
Or, can I even do that?

Not trying to drag this out.
I am asking really in general, not trying to be specific.

If you have a long action, and you put on a proper short action cartridge chambered barrel,
what would be the downside consequences of doing so?

Thanks, great answer and information.

Why? Just wondering, and asking before I a make a wrong decision.

Thanks again.

Thanks, great answer and information.

Why? Just wondering, and asking before I a make a wrong decision.

Thanks again.
I would only do the saum based or wsm or prc case on the long action. Get more performance and mag feed nice