• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using brass fired from one rifle in another?

enichols

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Southern CA
Hi All,
I have done some searching on this question, and the answers are rather mixed. Some are of the opinion that this should never be done, and that brass fired in one rifle should be kept exclusively with that gun. Others suggest that it's not a big deal, particularly if you full-length resize.

Here's my situation. I have been shooting a custom Rem. 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor in competition for several years. I have been collecting my once-fired brass for this rifle over the course of three barrels, all cut and chambered by the same smith. I always use a FL Redding die and bump the shoulders back 0.002".

Soon, I will be picking up a Sako TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I've been lusting after one for a long time.

My question is this: can I use brass fired once in the Rem. 700 in the Sako? My idea was to shoot some factory rounds through the Sako, measure the fired brass, and have a baseline for resizing once fired brass from my stash. After that point I'd probably keep the brass exclusive to each rifle.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.
Regards,
enichols

Not a problem. It will be easier to keep them separate if you have different headstamps though.

It most certainly can be a problem.

Brass fired in a slightly larger chamber will retain a memory and switching to a smaller chambered rifle can make primary extraction of the case a much harder proposition that shows itself as a "click" when raising the bolt handle if not a stuck case.

Load in 100 round lots, placed in 100 round MTM boxes, write the gun name and load on the box and keep brass separate!

Should not be a problem, I run 3 different 6.5 guns, one is a gasser. As long as I use an FL die and a .002 shoulder bump I can use the same brass in all 3. I was not lucky enough to find a load that works in all of them but I do use the same brass.
BTW all 3 loads still hold better than 1 M.O.A. all with the same brass set-up.

You already have the answer......it depends. The logic behind keeping it separate is sound. Chamber reamers between the 2 guns are probably cut to slightly different specs. Blame this on reamer wear, material hardness etc. The key point here is the physical size of the chamber and headspace variance. Also depending on variance, you could be prematurely wearing out your brass due to sizing. Object is to move as little brass as possible while still maintaining a round that will consistently chamber.

If you're doing comps, I'd keep your brass separate. It's not an absolute, just a recommendation to minimize the appearance of Murphy. I have factory loads shot in two guns, an RPR and from a custom barrel. The RPR brass chamber in my custom after firing. Even after FL sizing with bump, some of the RPR rounds are tight in the custom barrel and this is with factory ammo. Animal of a lifetime steps out, you run the bolt and can't get around chambered. or what happens middle of the stage and you have 3 live rounds you have to ditch, then what? I keep mine separate to potentially avoid these scenarios.

You probably see both sides of the argument, but if you want to minimize the WTF moments, you can perform a secondary check using a chamber gauge sized correctly. Meaning if the cartridge fits the gauge, it's going to fit both guns and then make sure you check every last round and set the culls to the side. Pull those bullets, pop the primer and discard that brass as it 's never going to get any better.

Even if you aren't switching between guns using. chamber checker is just a good practice because dies and seating stems come loose when you're not paying attention or doing due diligence before and during reloading. I've had good luck with the Wilson's and the Hornadys guages