• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Kestrel 5700 AB to Adjust for Moving One Scope Between Rifles?

AggiePhil

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
TX, USA
Anyone know if it's possible to use set up a Kestrel (Elite 5700 AB w/LiNK, if it matters) to allot for moving one scope between multiple rifles? Ideally, I'd like to zero my scope on my .308 and then also be able to use it on my Barrett M82A1 (or vice-versa). Seems like I would just need to add or subtract the elevation and windage differences at my zero range when swapping to the "other" rifle. The Kestrel has a Zero Offset option but it's in inches or centimeters and I'm not sure that would do the trick. I think I could just do the addition or subtraction when making adjustments but that seems liek it'd be much slower than if the Kestrel let me build in offsets in mils.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if it's possible to use set up a Kestrel (Elite 5700 AB w/LiNK, if it matters) to allot for moving one scope between multiple rifles? Ideally, I'd like to zero my scope on my .308 and then also be able to use it on my Barrett M82A1 (or vice-versa). Seems like I would just need to add or subtract the elevation and windage differences at my zero range when swapping to the "other" rifle. The Kestrel has a Zero Offset option but it's in inches or centimeters and I'm not sure that would do the trick. I think I could just do the addition or subtraction when making adjustments but that seems liek it'd be much slower than if the Kestrel let me build in offsets in mils.

Thanks in advance.

So the zero offset is for measuring where your zero group POI is compared to your POA. So let's say you were seroing your rifle and aiming dead center of a defined target, like a diamond tip and your actual group was 1.5 inches above it and you called that a good zero at 100 yards. Well it is a good zero but you haven't actually zeroed at 100 yards. By measuring that offset you are telling the Kestrel (or any calc) the actual range you zeroed at. Could maybe actually 93 yards since your group was high.

So so it is possible for you to do what you want by measuring that zero offset when going from your 308 to your M82A1. But I would make sure that the baseline zero is down at exactly 100 yards target to turret. Measure it with a tape and make sure it has no offset. POI must equal POA as best as your skill allows.

I use the zero offset feature in my Kestrel to do this. Just measure the offset in mils with your reticle, convert to inches or cm with this app, and enter that into the Kestrel.

Attachments

• photo72272.png
    photo72272.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
I use the zero offset feature in my Kestrel to do this. Just measure the offset in mils with your reticle, convert to inches or cm with this app, and enter that into the Kestrel.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that app is for Android. Know of any good, cheap ones for iPhone? I'm using the Kestrel apps for everything else. Too bad they don't include this feature.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that app is for Android. Know of any good, cheap ones for iPhone? I'm using the Kestrel apps for everything else. Too bad they don't include this feature.

Yes, I have an Android. No ideas about iPhone.

Our iPhone app includes Sight Scale Factor and Zero Height/Offset.

Our next version should be coming out very soon, it is currently undergoing iOS 11 and iPhone X simulations prior to release.

What about for those of us using your Kestrel products?

What about for those of us using your Kestrel products?

Zero Height and Zero Offset are available in the Kestrel Unit.

The AB Engine supports Sight Scale Factor, and the Profile loaders can already handle it. If you wish to see that feature added to the Kestrel then I recommend making a suggestion to NK that you would like to see that feature added.