• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Lead car batteries as shotgun lead?

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Since lead is drying up and or getting more expensive and lead wheel weights are disapearing and being replaced by a non-lead substitute. Do old car batteries work fairly well? Yeh, I'm not looking forward to tearing them apart but I have started to collect a couple of batteries for the task. my brother-in law has built a lead dripper for making shot and has test run it for the right sized shot. ... Any info or experiences post it....SmokeRolls

Re: Using Lead car batteries as shotgun lead?

Only if you have a death wish. Battery lead is alloyed with arsenic.

Thats a pretty good argument...hahahahahaha...Does the smelting process remove any of this? Or is it a no go on even the old timers, you know the ones that died when they were 50 ..hahaha...Smelting lead and lead in general is not a healthy process / material either way due to the fumes and chemical composition but is this a complete no go due to the poison in the lead? Questions, questions? Be patient with me, I'm trying to get a thorough answer Any additional info would be appreciated.SmokeRolls

I'll have to see if I can find a link for you. Back 30 years ago when I started casting pistol bullets it was taboo to even consider batteries.

Thankyou for the additional info.. That article would be cool but don't kill yourself over it.. I do appreciate it.. Thanks..Patrick

You definitely don't want to inhale any of that stuff, for sure. Don't recommend it. Not to mention that you probably will have the EPA knocking on your door demanding some answers.

Thanks for all the info... All questions are answered very nicely.. Thanks for all the help. I will scrap the batteries and use the jingle to locate a better source of lead for shot.............SmokeRolls

As I understand it, it isn't the "calcium" that is so toxic. It is the "Cadmium" in modern "no maintenence" batteries. Older (and newer batteries that are NOT no maintenence) could be melted. Better to forget it and use wheelweights. Not the stick on type, but the clamp on. They are fairly consistant. Not pure lead, however. For casting good bullets you'll need to add about 1% tin for filling out the mould.