• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Redding Comp Seating Die

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
So I went ahead and made the plunge to buy a Redding Comp Seating Die in 20 Tac for my new rifle, but I have a problem. I can't get the thing to work.

I have followed the directions to a T.

Raise ram all the way
Screw in die until it touches shell holder
Unscrew die until micro lines are visible on the front (about 1/2-1/2 turn)
Tighten die

But when I put a case and bullet, nothing happens. It doesn't seat. I have tried screwing every adjustment on the die all the way down, but still to no avail.

How the hell do I get this thing to work?

Re: Using Redding Comp Seating Die

Get a round ready to seat the bullet on. Take the die, and unscrew the lock ring to where it's near the top of the die. Put bullet on top of case, insert into shell holder, and raise ram all the way. Take the die and screw it down onto the round until you get some tension on the die from the bullet making contact. Lower the ram slightly, and screw your die in a little further until you are close to your seating depth. Then lock it down, and fine tune the seating depth with the micrometer on top of the die.
If you screw the seating die in too far, it can hit the case shoulder, and crush the case. Just keep screwing in the die on the press, and you'll get there.

Its not just screwing it down till it touches the shellholder. That paticular die has spring tension in it at the bottom of the die. Raise the ram and screw the die down and dont stop till the die cant go any further then back it out until the adjustment indicators are in front of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its not just screwing it down till it touches the shellholder. That paticular die has spring tension in it at the bottom of the die. Raise the ram and screw the die down and dont stop till the die cant go any further then back it out until the adjustment indicators are in front of you. </div></div>

Figured that out just now.

Though I read die "BODY", I never gave the die enough pressure to push in the sleeve, and assumed (like an asshole) that the end of the sleeve <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> the die body. I was just afraid of destroying my new die before I even got it installed.

Thanks for all of the info guys.

I may have more questions later about this thing, but I'm on my way now. At least I had the regular seating die as well last night so that I could get my bullets loaded.

Yep, as he said above. The part thats touching in the directions isn't the spring loaded guide, but the actual threaded portion of the die body. there is no crimping mechanism in the comp seater, and it won't crush your shoulders.