• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Short Brass in 6.5CM

jstarko0329

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2017
Lake Charles, LA
I have some used Alpha brass cases for 6.5 CM that are too short. Most of the cases range from 1.875-1.880“ instead of the generally published minimum of 1.910”. It’s almost 150 pieces. What should I do with them? Should I shoot them or toss them? They’re still long enough to properly seat a bullet, and lengths are consistent. My worry is potential carbon buildup. Would that be a problem? FYI: I didn’t trim them to that length. Brass is from someone else. Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Typo in original post misstated length.

Last edited:
I would load em and use em honestly. They will stretch with normal firings and sizing operations. Like for practice ammo at least? I just hate wasting brass. I accidentally trimmed a bunch of 223 too short once, didnt notice anything wrong or any issues.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
Use them, they will be fine. I screwed up a batch of brass and they were .030”+ off of max and worked fine. Now I trim ~.020” under max so I don’t have to trim every time.

This isn't 0.030 under MAX.

This is about 0.160 under trimmed ( your 1.175" length).
The 6.5 CM neck is about 0.285" long.
How much neck do you have?
0.125" ?
Could you post a pic of some of the shorter ones as a double check of your measurements?
Maybe a Typo?

Last edited:
This isn't 0.030 under MAX.

This is about 0.160 under trimmed ( your 1.175" length).
The 6.5 CM neck is about 0.285" long.
How much neck do you have?
0.125" ?
Could you post a pic of some of the shorter ones as a double check of your measurements?
Maybe a Typo?

Thanks for catching my typo! They are 1.875-1.885”.

I recently bought a few boxes of Berger 140 gn Target Hybrid. 6.5CM. This cartridge is manufactured using Lapua SRP brass.
And when I went to reload the brass it measured 1.900". Some were longer but none were 1.910" That is 0.010" under 'trim length' : 1.910" per Hornady's manual. I reloaded it at that length and fired it and it worked fine. No problems, shot accurately.

I recently bought a few boxes of Berger 140 gn Target Hybrid. 6.5CM. This cartridge is manufactured using Lapua SRP brass.
And when I went to reload the brass it measured 1.900". Some were longer but none were 1.910" That is 0.010" under 'trim length' : 1.910" per Hornady's manual. I reloaded it at that length and fired it and it worked fine. No problems, shot accurately.
But the actual spec is 1.900-1.920.
Your necks were within spec.
1582324466600.png

All a bit short does is let that little bit in front of where the brass ends get a little sooty. Keep it clean like you should with any barrel and youll be just fine with brass thats a bit too short of the ideal.

Reactions: LG65CM
But the actual spec is 1.900-1.920.
Your necks were within spec.
View attachment 7255746

All a bit short does is let that little bit in front of where the brass ends get a little sooty. Keep it clean like you should with any barrel and youll be just fine with brass thats a bit too short of the ideal.
thanx Spife, had not noticed that before. :)

How many actually measure their chamber length and trim their cases to match that dimension (- .010 +/- ) rather than a published spec?

Reactions: LG65CM
Good question Mainer. My chambers are SAAMI spec. I go by the published spec in Hornady's 10th Ed. (6.5CM) 1.920 is max, and I try to not trim any more than necessary, so I have ended up with two trim lengths. 1.918 and 1.916. This is a mix of mostly Hornady and some Federal, Win, Nosler. & Now I have Lapua which at 1.90-ish needs no trimming at all.

47guy, where did you get that? A cut from a barrel?

Any Smith can make you one from the bit of barrel they cut off the blank at the muzzle and the reamer used for your chamber.

The biggest benefit is it is made with the exact same reamer.