• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using steel casing Ammo in my new 308ar

Ksgunguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2013
I Plan on using some mil spec ammo to break in my new rig, but afterwards have some steel case ammo. Anyone have problems using this type of ammo in their 308AR?

Garbage in...Garbage out!! ;)

Look, I don't run steel-cased stuff in my rifles for any number of reasons as a rule, first and foremost of which is piss poor accuracy by in large and the fact that its dirty as @#$% leading to the need to stop/clean/lube more frequently. If you are building a precision rig...I'd skip the garbage and find some decent ammo to run in it. Aside from that, if you are just "plinking" or otherwise putting rounds down range...have at it with the steel-cased stuff, but just be sure to keep your rifle well-lubed and clean as necessary to prevent stoppages. The only "exception" to that rule that I've found personally is the Hornady Steel Match ammo, which while still dirtier that your average mil-surplus, brass-cased stuff...is actually not too bad in terms of accuracy (at least compared to the BB/Tula/etc. garbage).

That is a very good article. I read it a couple years ago and couldn't remember where I found it. Thanks glock45

The drop I accuracy was attributed not to the steel case, but to the steel and copper wash projectile.

I do not know, however, if there are any non ferrous bullets being loaded into steel cases- other than the hornady steel match. The main problem I have with the hornady steel match is that it is nearly as expensive as the brass cases ammo, without the reload ability of the case.

Start reloading- shoot inexpensively and accurately. Win win!

I only shoot steel case in my AK and Mosin. They were designed for it and it works great. I would not run it in any AR or pistol platforms.

I'll use it in my battle ar's but not my 'better' firearms.