• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Using Tennerite as a tool

ridurall

Sergeant
Minuteman
A couple of years ago some friends from a concealed carry forum got together on my property for some fun camping and shooting. I checked out how legal Tannerite was and decided to purchase enough to keep us happy. I also called the sheriff to explain what we were doing. We had a great time and at the time I purchased 440 lbs of Ammonium Nitrate and enough Aluminum powder to work with it. Of course I've still got plenty left. So today==============Wahoo what a day! My shooting buddy Randy spoke to my FFL owner friend of ours about removing a 5’ tree stump that was about 50 yards from his house where he is putting in a new drive way. He suggested that I might try using my Tannerite to blow the stump out. He called me to purchase some and I told him no way but I’d be happy to work with him in using the Tannerite together to remove the stump. They had already dug about 1.5 foot down and while I was there I suggested that his son dig us a hole under the 400 lb stump about as big as my arm. I then mixed up 3 gallon bags each with 3 lbs of Ammonium Nitrate and 6 teaspoons of Aluminum powder. That way I was able to use the Tannerite for a fuse by putting the first bag as far under the stump as possible then the next bag and the finale bag just at the entrance where I could shoot it with my .308 AR-10T. His son acted as spotter for traffic, Jarrett called the Sheriff’s department and I climbed up on the roof so I could get a good angle on the hole the stump was setting in. Jarrett also covered the windows on that side of the house to prevent them from getting busted. Once prepared I called out that I was fixing to shoot and got the Okay. When I pulled the trigger the boom got everyone’s attention including a neighbor that was home sick. When the fire and smoke cleared we ended up with no law enforcement activity and the 400 to 500 lb stump was blown in two with ½ of it ending up 7 yards out of the hole and the other half 20 yards away from the hole and nothing but a hole to refill. The one thing I regret was not turning on a video to take pictures of it. I’ve set off larger shots, but none as close as this one and it didn’t break anything besides the stump. I couldn’t have asked for it to work better. It did blow dirt and chunks of wood as far as 100 yards away and I could hear them hitting the roof of the barn and it kind of got me dirty. I must say it’s not as handy as AMFO and TNT but it works just about the same. I must say I’m impressed and wow was it fun.

I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Ron

Re: Using Tennerite as a tool

Even if it was legal, it seems just a little
eek.gif
much, and repeated acts like this seem like they could only lead to bad PR for gun owners, and I could easily see this kinda thing turn into the end of binary targets.
What if the stump ended up on the neighbors house? that would look great on the news.

BTW, I've been to Oklahoma, they have backhoe's there.

+1 on it being a handy tool. I've used it for that same purpose up at camp a couple times. No need to call anyone or spot anything up there though. Perhaps video will be in order next time...

For the worry wart, I did plan ahead and have worked with explosives. The charges were set to move the stump away from the house. Everything worked exactly as planned. Just because it was fun is no reason to get mad. As for the Anfo, I used it in the military but I wouldn't dare take a chance on getting the authorities on my back for using it without the proper paperwork. When I was stationed in NC I could go to the St Paul FCX store and purchase dynamite for a dollar a stick and dollar a cap. They used a form 4473 and it was just like purchasing a rifle. When I moved here to OKlahoma there was no provision for doing that easily. Also I do own a bull dozer but using the Tannerite for a friend didn't cost him anything.

Dudes, this was on private property far away from town with the permission of the sheriff. Oh screw it, you winers must be Obama voters. You sound just like liberals. Just because we enjoyed doing a job to solve a problem does not mean it's wrong.

First of all, how did you get 440lbs of Ammonium Nitrate? Do you have a farm or something? I mean I know it's legal to buy but I'd figure the FBI would have payed a visit and asked some questions with that big a purchase.

Listen, I saw it in the X-Files, it must be true.
wink.gif

Sucks you didnt record it.
Saw a bunch of stuff get blown up over the years.
Stationed at all the good places to see this, Fort Sill,Fort Hood,Fort Leonard-wood in the US. Learned to fear combat engineers!
When they say back up you better do as asked! Saw gun bunnies drop rounds on cows,deer and everything else walking on a live range.
Why do you have 400+ pounds of anything?
Because you frigging want it! Good enough for me Sir!
Get the film equipment out next time!

How in the hell did you get so much? Thanks to that bastard Tim McVeigh, we all now have a VERY strict limit on how much fertilizer we can legally purchase. Also, there's a misconception about the legality of binary explosives. First off, they may NOT be stored or transported in mixed form. Second of all they may NOT be attached to anything that can fragment (eg. metal, glass, etc.) or spread a flammable accelerator (eg. containers containing gasoline, kerosene, petrol, etc.). Not trying to be a killjoy, but rather just making sure people don't cause any new stupid regulations on binary explosives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Durall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes, this was on private property far away from town with the permission of the sheriff. Oh screw it, you winers must be Obama voters. You sound just like liberals. Just because we enjoyed doing a job to solve a problem does not mean it's wrong. </div></div>
Look everybody, we found ourselves a macho redneck who makes himself feel better by judging others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah well, legal or not if you'd have done it next door to me we'd have a problem </div></div>

The irony of THIS coming from YOU is borderline comical.

Private property+Legal activity+safety precautions="GET BENT!" Right?

Well, at least that's what I would have told you.

I give up... wanna shoot an AR on private propery, be prepared to have another jurisdiction's LEOs show up and harrass you, and you better be happy about it.... because you're wrong.

but block traffic and use homemade tannerite to blow stumps out of the ground and it's all cool

after reading,, the fact that some talk about the legally of this proves to me how screwed up our country has become, as a child i spent summers on uncle's farm, if you needed to remove stump you went to hardware store bought dynamite and job done...if all these idiot laws and rules worked why is dc the gun crime capital of the us? making something illegal never stop a criminal only made honest folks into criminals

OMG! Did Slap-a-cop just turn this into a cop bashing thread, by trolling a juicy piece of bait from another thread totally unrelated to this one? Instigate + Participate + Berate = perceived slander of LE on evry thread even remotely dealing with law. And who has ultimately been to blame?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but then again... I'm not seeing anything LEGAL he did.... <span style="font-weight: bold">You really don't have a clue what you are talking about </span> he used a limited use explosive <span style="font-weight: bold">huh? where did you get this? </span> outside it's approved use <span style="font-weight: bold">huh again? what is its approved use? </span> ... probably in an amount excessive to legal limits <span style="font-weight: bold">and what are the legal limits? There is NO limited amount of tannerite </span> to throw debris in excess of 100yds wasn't it <span style="font-weight: bold">SO? </span> .... and they had to have a spotter for traffic... <span style="font-weight: bold">Your gripe is 'safety' but you come up with this? </span> that sounds safe.. "got everyone's attention, including the neighbor"....

yeah, that's about equal to a couple of guys shooting on private property...(in excess of 100 acres)

so tell me smart ass.... how is blowing debris all over (probably into the roadway, possibly into the neighbor's property) etc....anywhere near legal or safe (traffic spotter or not)

and the calling the sheriff and not getting an LE response... does that maybe kinda scream "good ol' boy" and show you a little about why I have very little use for the ones here....since the OP and I are in the same state and all... maybe, huh... ya think? </div></div> <span style="font-weight: bold">Tannerite is LEGAL to use in all 50 states, including yours. The key to legality is really "malicous intent", if the OP had no 'malicious intent' to destroy property then he was completely legal on private property </span>

Can't believe some of the shit some people find to bitch about to a complete stranger on the net! But they will do something STUPID and have no issues with it because it was THEIR idea!!!

If your going to post why not post facts instead of BS. Know something about what you are bitching to others about!

Edited to add......is #400 alot?
smile.gif
Guess that depends on who you ask huh?lol

Good post turned to shit by cry babies and cops. Bet they voted for Obama. MM

Thanks for the support from the good guys. As for how I got the 400 lbs, I just went to the Eldorado Coop a couple of years ago with a 55 gallon over pack container. Cost me $90 and I had to show them my license. The one thing I've done is make a point to always play it safe. That is why I wouldn't just sell him the amount he needed. He had never used it before so I wanted to be there. Besides it was just fun. How did we get the obama voters on this site anyway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering how mixing AN w/ it is legal.... seems like the same thing as mixing AN w/ fuel.... wait for the no knock </div></div>

You can put your "wondering" to rest wonder boy. When you break it down, AN and Aluminum powder IS Tannerite. It's not like he was adding fuel oil or gasoline to the mix. Therefore it was perfectly legal from what it sounds like.

To top it off, he made sure that there was no oncoming traffic, and checked with his local Sheriffs which he probably didn't have to do but it doesn't hurt. Furthermore the OP clearly stated that the debris went no further than 20 yards but hey, don't let that stop you from making things up in order to further your argument. Typical of your kind, you don't want anyone infringing on your rights but here you are trampling all over the OP's right to engage in LEGAL activities on HIS property.

You sir are a hipocrite.

To the OP:

Good job, sounds like a hell of a time. I'm sure it was a blast (pun intended) to see that much going off. And most importantly, you were safe about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Durall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes, this was on private property far away from town with the permission of the sheriff. Oh screw it, you winers must be Obama voters. You sound just like liberals. </div></div>

HAHAHAHAHA Right On, Right On!

I can't believe what some people will get their panties in a wad over. No wonder it's illegal to fart in a public restroom.
Ok, it's not illegal to fart in a public restroom...........now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe what some people will get their panties in a wad over. No wonder it's illegal to fart in a public restroom.
Ok, it's not illegal to fart in a public restroom........... <span style="color: #FF0000">yet </span> . </div></div>

Fixed it.

The facts as you described them sound like this was a fairly reckless act.

Exactly how did you determine the charge size for this foray? Just slap it in there and say "looks good"?

I am glad it all worked out for you, but you very easily could have ended up with a chunk of wood jammed in your noggin.

There is a reason we say "if you can see the explosion, it can see you". If you can see it, then the frag can get to you. I do shoot tannerite. I blow the hell out of pumpkins every year with it. Maybe I am being hypocritical, but I use a low charge, long range and rotten pumpkins that aren't likely to do much but vaporize. YouTube is full of Tannerite videos where you can see the frag raining down around the intrepid experimenters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tannerite is LEGAL to use in all 50 states, including yours. The key to legality is really "malicous intent", if the OP had no 'malicious intent' to destroy property then he was completely legal on private property</div></div>

Almost every state I am aware of also has some version of "Criminal Recklessness" too. Engaging in an activity that a reasonable person would see as likely to cause harm to persons or damage to property is generally criminal. If one of your bystanders was injured by frag, and you ended up in court, what do you think the chances are that a jury would not look kindly on you jamming a pile of tannerite under a stump?

Sure it all sounds like fun. It also sounds like "hey ya'll, watch this" and you end up on Dateline looking like a dumbass.

Again, I wasn't there. Maybe you took safety precautions that I am missing. Maybe not. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to prevent the next guy from not getting so lucky.

Now if it was the "good old days" then I could care less. If you blow yourself up the problem takes care of itself. Anyone stupid enough to be in the blast area also it prevented from further procreation. However you possibly ending up on the front page then intrudes on my ability to freely acquire binary explosives and then paints me with the same brush as you. THAT is the only reason I really care.

I was in South West Oklahoma today. Was that your mushroom cloud?

Here in Oklahoma we have a day set aside for just this, Blowing Shit Up.

A day where anybody and their dog can come out to a predetermined place and shoot fully automatic weapons (the list of weapons is astronomical) and blow stuff up from cars to a simple clothes dryer. Hell we even have a website for it.

When you look up Redneck in the dictionary, a picture of the state of Oklahoma is beside it.

According for FM5-34 Engineer Field Data manual. I used my own experience of dealing with TNT and I do understand that the minimum safe distance (MSD) for charges under 27 lbs is 300 meters. Since I was using an explosive with a detonation velocity of 8,900 to 11,000 FPS that was in a 2 foot deep hole with the Tannerite. The rule of thumb for blowing live stumps with dynamite is 2 lbs per foot of diameter. Since the tree stump was 5’ tall 2 foot in diameter and about 2 foot underground that provided a protective ring to direct the blast upward and setting the Tannerite on my side of the hole leading to underneath the stump ended up providing me with exactly the result that I wanted. I figured that there was probably 400 lbs of stump to be moved. I didn’t have anyone else within MSD besides myself so ya’ll can quit chewing my butt about this. I would have preferred different explosive materials but this was cheap, handy and fun.

They dont want to hear that stuff.
All anyone wants to do is bash you for what you did.
Throw numbers at them but it aint gonna buy you anything.
My question is did anyone or thing get harmed?
If not what the hell are we talking about now ?
Are we are the safety police for things that you can have buy law.
Folks better stay off Youtube!
A frigging stump aint shit!!!
They blow up cars and trucks all day there!

Did you not think about to poor rats and ants living in the stump?

The OP's actions are appalling in his blatant disregard for the safety of the stump. The way I see it, the OP violated the stump's civil rights, as the stump was clearly staging a non-violent 'sit-in'. I'm sure the Justice Dept. will want to hear about this now that the media has forgotten all about their Fast and Furious debacle. Furthermore, I'm going to turn him into PETS (People for the Ethical Treatment of Stumps).

I'm so offended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The OP's actions are appalling in his blatant disregard for the safety of the stump. The way I see it, the OP violated the stump's civil rights, as the stump was clearly staging a non-violent 'sit-in'. I'm sure the Justice Dept. will want to hear about this now that the media has forgotten all about their Fast and Furious debacle. Furthermore, I'm going to turn him into PETS (People for the Ethical Treatment of Stumps).

I'm so offended. </div></div>

I hear ya on this one. Everyone keeps blasting this guy for his lack of safety and making guys with guns look bad, but everyone forgot about the poor stump. All that it was doing was just hanging out, not hurting anyone. And then some hill billy with a crazy idea of a good time comes along and blows it up. It is a travesty if you ask me.

There's some new doomsday shelter show on Discovery channel and they used 3lbs of Tannerlite in trying to get through a significantly reenforced steel door which was pretty interesting. The blast created a little gap between the frame and the door but the door survived. Now the Tannerlite was just taped to the door and there was nothing directing the blast but even without that advantage, the Tannerlite did some significant damage to what looked like a super strong door.