• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Using the 30BA without a permanent brake on all platforms

jaredinco

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
Arvada, CO
Does anyone have any ideas? There is a rumor that someone is making a sleeve that covers the ports but I cannot find it. I also had some ideas bout making a non-brake attachment point, essentially a thread adapter but a concern for safe function was raised. If the suppressor is run on to the brake without fixing the brake to the rifle it turns it in to a 30P-1 essentially but it may never come apart again.

Any other ideas?

I already own the 30BA and ended up building several more rifles which wasn't the plan initially. Looking back the 30P-1 could have been the right choice.

So what you are getting at is you have more rifles then TBAC brakes and you want to install the brake into the can and leave it in there? Basically creating a thread on suppressor....

Interesting....I love my BA, but now have 4 x TBAC brakes (almost half the price of another can) and if I could do it over just might have gone with a direct thread and some thread protectors. I find I now like to shoot everything with the can on and do move it around form rifle to rifle a bit. I do have a few other cans, but this is my go-to 30 cal...and I am still trying to love that big old brake hanging off the front. I know, it aint about looks....

Anyways, I have toyed with the idea of Tig welding a nut on the back of one of the brakes (for a wrench to grab) and rockseting the break into the can. Not perminant, but would certainly take a little work--and probably an overnight soak in some water--to get it apart.

Just thinking for now...

ZY

That's exactly why I went with the 30P-1.
1- the great customer service.
2- the ability tomount on multiple rifles without having to purchase 5 brake attachments.

I had to go with the BA, for the fact that I have several rifles I purchased slightly used and all have been threaded different.

Easier to get BA's for them, then to try to have them all threaded the same.

Anyways, I have toyed with the idea of Tig welding a nut on the back of one of the brakes (for a wrench to grab) and rockseting the break into the can. Not perminant, but would certainly take a little work--and probably an overnight soak in some water--to get it apart.

Just thinking for now...

ZY

Don't do it, you could cause alignment issues between the brake and the barrel shoulder.

I would like to try the span wrench solution. How can I get a new 5/8x24 brake with the notches? I sent an email to Zak as well.

Here you go.
photo1.jpg

These are maximum dimensions and will work with a 3/4" threaded brake.
Use red locktite.

Grainger has compatible 3/16"x1/4" adjustable spanner wrenches. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Wrapped up the work last night. I will try and get some pictures up. A cobalt bit and a drill press are a must. I used a 13/64" bit and bought a 3/16" diameter pin spanner wrench and it all works great. Marking the holes with a center punch helps and so does a starter hole with a smaller bit. Any tips for blackening the stainless? The base of the brake was easy enough to mark but exact measurements and centering the holes was difficult.

If the brake is mounted to the the can, then the can/brake assembly screwed onto the rifle, will the brake still need to be timed per TBAC's recommendations? If so, how would one accomplish that?

Just curious, not trying be a smartass :)

I just wish my 30BA would at least go pending. Never had one take this bloody long - I guess the run on guns/mags/ammo included cans. Really looking forward to it.

Update: I've been using the modified brake on a few different hosts and it's working great. Once you run a few shots through it and tighten it up it holds solid. Thanks Zak and TBAC.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk