• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using Zero Stop

Jcremer24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
Hi everyone! So I am new to long range shooting in general and very new to scopes with any sort of zero stop feature! So I’m trying to clarify my understanding (this is for a Vortex HS-LR 6-24). First you can bore sight your scope in at about 25 yards. Then move out to distance at 100 yards to obtain zero. You make any necessary adjustments and use 3 shot groups until your groups are within 1/2 MOA or so? (Preference) now once you have obtained a satisfactory grouping your turrets may be on (whatever) numbers/measurement. Say the dial number is 8. You then remove the elevation turret cap without rotating and clicking the mechanical part of the turret and place the shims in to hold the spot of the turret. Next you put the cap back on and align the zero number with the notch on the scope. You then are able to dial out and adjust for further distances while being able to return to the zero at 100 yds by simply rotating back to the zero number on the turret. Am I understanding that correctly?
Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Marine52
Yep. That’s it.

Some optics have a set zero stop. Say .5 mil under zero no matter what.

Others have a clutch system where you can set it up to stop exactly on zero, or anywhere you want under zero.

In your case you have shims.

Reactions: Jcremer24
Sounds about right. For me, being old and forgetful, I find zero-stop to be a God-send. When I forget to reset my scope to my zero setting after shooting, the zero-stop really saves my bacon. I just need to turn the turret until it stops.

I can be a dumb-a$$.

Every scope manuf has different approaches to "zero stop". Some call it zero set, CRS, etc.

Some also have a stop which is BELOW your zero. Only by a few clicks, then you come back up to zero. This is to remove mechanical compression on the system to have you turret under the same "stress" or mechanical load as if you dialled 10 clicks.

To answer your question better, here's a vortex video on the subject:

Every scope manuf has different approaches to "zero stop". Some call it zero set, CRS, etc.

Some also have a stop which is BELOW your zero. Only by a few clicks, then you come back up to zero. This is to remove mechanical compression on the system to have you turret under the same "stress" or mechanical load as if you dialled 10 clicks.

To answer your question better, here's a vortex video on the subject:

When you say below zero your are referring to clicks left? Also thanks a lot everyone!!

When you say below zero your are referring to clicks left? Also thanks a lot everyone!!

Set your hard stop to impact about .5 MIL low of your POA at zero distance.
Then set your turret “0” to impact POA at zero distance.

In use when returning to zero from dialling a drop all you have to do is wind it back until you hit the stop, then come forward until your turret reads “0”. You have just returned to your zero AND removed all lash/preload from the system.

This should explain and show what you need. I've seen multiple people set other brand scopes in this method. Vortex is mechanically set this way by default.

Sounds about right. For me, being old and forgetful, I find zero-stop to be a God-send. When I forget to reset my scope to my zero setting after shooting, the zero-stop really saves my bacon. I just need to turn the turret until it stops.

I can be a dumb-a$$.

One day I forgot to reset to zero and was eonder why the hell I was completely missing a target

One day I forgot to reset to zero and was eonder why the hell I was completely missing a target
Yep and no zero stop will keep this from happening. I set them a half mil or so below zero and never once ever bumped into it. My scopes without them never hold me back. Never needed one. You are much more likely to shoot at a target without dialing for the yardage like in your example than shoot being a revolution off. There are rev counters on just about every scope anyhow.

Whichever company came up with a zero stop created a great marketing tool and probably sold a lot of scopes as a result. They sure don’t hurt to have though as I do set them up on the scopes that have them and I think any newer scope model that came out in the last 5 years have them standard.

Reactions: archangel485
Had a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on my .22lr shooting out to 300yds without a zerostop and kept forgetting how many times I'd dialed the turret. Yep - 1 whole revolution off (15MOA) ...LOL. Pulled it off and put a viper gen2 with zerostop - ahhh much better!!

Had a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on my .22lr shooting out to 300yds without a zerostop and kept forgetting how many times I'd dialed the turret. Yep - 1 whole revolution off (15MOA) ...LOL. Pulled it off and put a viper gen2 with zerostop - ahhh much better!!

I just write down adjustments on my note pad.

Yes I had my dope book with me but I would forget to dial it back down. I was sometimes dialing 46 MOA or more which was 3+ full revolutions from my 50yd zero.
Does it not have rev markers under the turret like every other scope?

Nope. That’s why I was getting confused and swapped it out. Probably going to put it on my .17HMR
Yeah that sucks. I have never seen a scope that didnt have lines under the turret. Guess you could draw your own. If you see it then you need to dial down.

Yeah that sucks. I have never seen a scope that didnt have lines under the turret. Guess you could draw your own. If you see it then you need to dial down.
The turret doesn’t go up or down - it just spins.