• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft USMC 0311 ???

Re: USMC 0311 ???

Just curious, but does anyone know what the current deployment rate is to Iraq or Afghanistan within a 4 year period these days. And also how long do the deployments last these days? Just heard I would be deployed 4 times within a 4 year period so was just curious. Thanks.

rem_308
My son is a 0331, started out as 0311. He went in, in November 2006, first deployment to Iraq was November 2007 to May 2008. He is scheduled to head to Afghanistan in May 2009 for 7 months. However, he did say rumour is saying because of expense getting Marines into Afghanistan, this next deployment might be 10 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, but does anyone know what the current deployment rate is to Iraq or Afghanistan within a 4 year period these days. And also how long do the deployments last these days? Just heard I would be deployed 4 times within a 4 year period so was just curious. Thanks. </div></div>

Went three times in 4 yrs...03 invasion, Aug 05-March 06, Aug 06-March 07 and once to Africa in 04. Loved it, but down a wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nsp261</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">My son</span></span> is a 03..... </div></div>
God Bless! Please PM me with where I can send many thanks !

Another question, I have a GED and on paper a 10th grade education (left my junior year) now the recruiter told me that I need to go get 15 college credits or some BS like that.

I checked online and apparently a GED is fine with a 10th grade education, and even if it's not im sure if I do fine on the asvab it will make no difference, as I got a 90 on the short practice test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loved it, but down a wife.</div></div>
Ouch brother that's another problem on this end, she's a faithful gal though! at least I think.. hope..... pray? so ;]

I also agree with taking care of yourself esp your doggies. Buy quality running shoes and only use them to pt in. If i remember right I showed up at MCRD with my running shoes on and they let me use them for pt. It takes determination to get thru MCRD. I was 3rd phase and stress fractured my left foot across the top of my toes and spent 2 mos in the hotwheels plt. I was determined to make it and I did and glad I didn't give up. No matter how down I got nursing my foot when I should have been in the fleet already I knew that if I gave up I would always be known as they guy that couldn't make by those that didn't have the salt to even enlist. Having good cardio before going is probably your best bet. They will break you down shotgun style and build your strength back up. I'm 6'4 215lbs and every good ass beating I ever got was from a man half my size, so don't worry about the physical stature.

My recruiter told me to both run and build endurance. His advice was to get a backpack and put a sandbag in it. Find a big ass hill and hump it. Add weight when it got easier.

Get a GOOD pair of running shoes, I guarantee you they'll get thrashed.

Go join...I joined at 23 and loved it...would do it all over again...wear an EGA proudly on my arm!!! as for getting ready--- CROSSFIT!!! there is nothing better for combat readiness. 0311 only and then you can explore every other job in any branch.

Sign the papers. I went in at 6'3" and 152 lbs. I left bootcamp at 175 and returned from my first float at 235 with a 28 inch waist. You can do it. One of the guys in my sniper platoon was 5'3" Its all about how much heart you have. The rest of it will come with time.

Good luck.

Chuck

Boot camp is 50% mental, 30% physical and 20% bullshit.

Always has been, always will be.

there is a reason for it, it works.

Run, do pull ups and pushups, there are no weight machines in boot.

And mentally prepare yourself for a tough but life changing ride that I feel every young man should experience.

The majority of the drop outs were injuries in my time.

dont ever volunteer for anything in boot.

shut the fuck up and speak when spoken to, do what you are taught to the best of your ability, you should do just fine.

In regards to 0311, having experienced the infantry, I would choose something with a bit more ability to transition the "the world", when you get out.

my .02

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks again for the incoming info. I am still running and still deciding. I saw this Marine on TV with no legs and that really scared the fuck out of me because this is a real possibility. Call me selfish for it but it could happen. I really feel for him and all the other brave men and women who have suffered combat injuries, I just wonder how I would handle something like that if I do join and it does happen.
Also does anyone know what a standard combat load is for an infantryman?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03humpalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FRESHMEAT!;)

You will be fine bud. Keep up the PT,learn how to suffer in silence, and stand by to embrace the suck. You are in for one hell of a ride.
Semper Fi </div></div>

Word....

Buck... what's up my ninja...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex043</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question, I have a GED and on paper a 10th grade education (left my junior year) now the recruiter told me that I need to go get 15 college credits or some BS like that.

I checked online and apparently a GED is fine with a 10th grade education, and even if it's not im sure if I do fine on the asvab it will make no difference, as I got a 90 on the short practice test. </div></div>

OK.. .fukin flame on...

WTF makes you think you can hack it in the Corps when you didn't even have the drive and testicle fortitude to graduate from highschool? With that kind of attitude and lack of self discipline you will never survive it man... The suck will eat you up... if you even get in...

My suggestion is this... If you desire to be my brother and become a Marine, go get those 15 credits and come back with a new found drive and self discipline.

hey guys along this same question what is the age cut in order to re-enlist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex043</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question, I have a GED and on paper a 10th grade education (left my junior year) now the recruiter told me that I need to go get 15 college credits or some BS like that.

I checked online and apparently a GED is fine with a 10th grade education, and even if it's not im sure if I do fine on the asvab it will make no difference, as I got a 90 on the short practice test. </div></div>

OK.. .fukin flame on...

WTF makes you think you can hack it in the Corps when you didn't even have the drive and testicle fortitude to graduate from highschool? With that kind of attitude and lack of self discipline you will never survive it man... The suck will eat you up... if you even get in...

My suggestion is this... If you desire to be my brother and become a Marine, go get those 15 credits and come back with a new found drive and self discipline. </div></div>

You got a good point and I can't do a damn thing to prove you wrong until I walk out of Camp Pendleton a Marine.. And you're right I should get those 15 credits, but If I don't have to in order to join than I'm not going to. Period. If I do then I will. Period.

I'm not going to sit here and try to justify what I did, because it's all bullshit, but it's not so easy to dismiss it as a lack of testicular fortitude or lack of discipline as you might think, You don't know the situation or reasons for it, even if they may be BS excuses. I can GUARANTEE I have never had a lack of discipline in my whole life and my attitude had nothing to do with the decision to drop out, not that I can prove this.. In fact the evidence shows quite the opposite, obviously... I don't care because I know I got it in me, It makes no difference to me I know where ill be.

Ill make SURE to remember to send you a PM on my 10 day leave in between boot and SoI Wil, count on that. I will NOT forget it, and for that, I suppose I should Thank you.

rgr that...

I look forward to getting that message. If you earn that EGA, I will welcome you to the family correctly...

It can be done, but you must dig down inside of YOU and make it happen. If this is truly your desire I will support that.

Best of luck to you...sincerely.

-Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rgr that...

I look forward to getting that message. If you earn that EGA, I will welcome you to the family correctly...

It can be done, but you must dig down inside of YOU and make it happen. If this is truly your desire I will support that.

Best of luck to you...sincerely.

-Wil </div></div>

I Appreciate it, and I am very much looking forward to it as well. I can't imagine any greater satisfaction on the face of the planet, ever.

My generation will see these wars through, and we will be the LAST to do so if we have our way..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for the incoming info. I am still running and still deciding. I saw this Marine on TV with no legs and that really scared the fuck out of me because this is a real possibility. Call me selfish for it but it could happen. I really feel for him and all the other brave men and women who have suffered combat injuries, I just wonder how I would handle something like that if I do join and it does happen.
Also does anyone know what a standard combat load is for an infantryman? </div></div>

Don't think about it, like Koolnhard said, it's a reality of the job and in truth you really don't know how you will react under fire.. But training and resolve will dictate how you handle it, I guess having an active duty police officer as a father does get one aware of the possibility of your loved ones being taken away instantly much like the children of active duty servicemen (Kids of KIA vets are some of the bravest and most respectable children on the planet, in my opinion.). Reality is always there to bite you in the ass, the real question is how it is handled.

It is in those brave wounded and killed soldiers honor that we have the courage to lay our lives on the line, as they did, lest their sacrifices be in vein.

God Bless every single American whom has died in every American War and may God Bless the families of those Men and Women..

And may god bless the Constitution of the United states of America, not to get off topic but.. It really needs Gods help if it is to survive...

well I was 105lbs when I went to MCRD. double rats and was 130lbs at graduation. Got out at 150lb
blush.gif

you have to want it and when you are there just remember "one day at a time". For me boot camp was easier and SOI a lot tougher (I lost most of my boot-camp weight at SOI)

rucking with a pack is great exercise. I did nothing prior to going to bootcamp besides having a fun summer after HS graduation.

I was 5-10 and 130-135ish. came out at 155 (double rats). I ran quite a bit before goin in. didn't carry a pack just kind of let that work out on it's own. I wouldn't recommend that because that humpin a pack takes some gettin used to. Anyway for your feet, this worked for me; wear two pair of socks. First pair put on inside out and the second normal(cuts down on the rubbing). This helped me from getting blisters. Good luck.

Listen, when I joined I weighed 135 lbs. 5'6". I also took things personal, still do in my current occupation. One thing that helped me was that I never give up. I am very stubborn, don't look at it as a bad trait, but being persistent is essential in success. I did not train before boot camp, and I did alright. This is where being stubborn helped out. I told myself I would not fall out of any run or hump, and so I never did fall out of any run or hump. In boot camp you will learn that it is all mental. I was not in good physical shape, but mentally I was strong. And yes, I was an 0311. To this day I am a grunt. In my current occupation, there are a lot of young and very strong young men in the field, but I will and have run/hump circles around them.

The Corps is a good source of camaraderie. From the day you graduate boot camp any Marine out there in life is your brother. There is a special bond amongst Marines. I see it everywhere I go.

Now, about being flatfooted. I recommend you see a Sports Med. Dr./Podiatrist and see if he can recommend some good arch supports that can help you out. I know it helped me out.

Never give up!

Rem, to help you with you running. Don’t think about fast more, think of long slow distance. Pace yourself out a 5 mile running area and do it everyday. Speed will come once endurance is achieved and Boot camp is all about endurance. Try to pack a 60+ pound pack and speed hump for 8 miles rough terrain. Hydration is key here. If you can get the 8 miles done in 2.5 hours stopping once for a 5-10 min breather you will be head and shoulders above the game.

The recruiter is a poser trying to sell you something you all ready want.(don’t ask me how I know) but he/she will be the first obstacle for you to get past before you can enlist. Now Bootcamp is not for the faint of heart or the guy that angers easily. They will push you well beyond your limits, but when its all said and done you will look at yourself in a different light. I look back now and think about how MCRD San Diego was not fun but I would do it again if given the chance. Some may think im a glutton for punishment but that is how I feel.

On a personal note thank you for at least thinking about serving your country. I have to say most young adults would not put this kind of thought or preparation into this decision. On the day you graduate Bootcamp, I will thank you again for putting your life on the line for so many Americans. Your sacrifice is appreciated by more then you will ever know.

Howdydoit, 1991-2001
3RD Battalion 5Th Marine

3/5 Great Unit. My grand dad belonged.

After football and wrestling, tobacco and hay fields, Parris Island and the infantry were fun times. Seriously. Grown men scream in your face, but it is comical in a way. During the first month, you will get up to 3 miles at a 10 minute per mile pace. Does it leave a lasting impression? Yes. Is it that hard? No. People just do not want to do it.

Listen to the calling.

I weighed 130 lbs at 5'9" with a 29" waist when I arrived at MCRD PI in May of 1991. I left weighing 145 with a 29" waist. No double rations just a shit ton of PT. I ran on my own for about a year before my ship date and joined the highschool track team for more structured running practice. Find a park with a pullup bar and work on your upper body strength. Lots of pullups, situps and pushups. Run your ass off. Buy an old ALICE pack, load it with about 60 lbs and hump off road. Find a sandy area if you can. PI is all sand and it is a alot different than hardball road surface when you are humping. Running and humping in sand will definately smoke your calves.
As far as your flat feet, I would talk to a podiatrist and explain your situation to him and see what he says.
That being said, the physical part is easy compared to the mental. You had better make up your mind that you will do it despite physical and mental pain or you will be food for the drill instructors. And as far as taking things personally, you will have a rough time in the Marine Corps with that type of attitude. Nothing about your personality and life will be off limits to your drill instructors and fellow Marines when you graduate. If you can't handle that you have no business in the Marine Corps. There is no room for whiners. Learn to suck it up and perform, never quit and do everything as if your life depended on it.

The PT at boot camp is easy. It is designed to start the weakest guy and build him up. The running especially. You'll only run on your own initially at the initial PFT. (The exception will be the 80 or 90 times you depart and re-enter the barracks until you get it right.

Learn to climb ropes before you go, and dead hang pull ups.

One cannot emphasize the humping (hiking in civilian terms) enough. To my great fortune, I had grown up following my grand-dad and his merry pack of coon or foxhounds, so hard walking was part of my genetic makeup and skill set.

It would be hard to train for the misery of the training hikes of PISC, unless you can find a buddy to hike with, and then have him carry a pack as well. Then, have him set off at an incredible pace with you behind him. And by behind him, I mean your chest touching his pack. Keep that up for three to five miles once or twice a week before you go...and you still won't like it when it comes.

Later, you'll learn about dispersion, and you'll wonder why anybody would ever yomp like that, except for maybe the dumb bootnecks -LOL.

There is no answer. These paradoxes are part of the Marine Corps educational system...

My generation will see these wars through, and we will be the LAST to do so if we have our way..

I think that i can honestly say that if you have never been to war, you shouldnt talk about it in such a manner. Your right your generation will see it through, but you havent so i dont quite agree with your comment here. As for being an 0311, take this advice from one. It is a great feeling to look at a bunch of POGS and be able to say you are a GRUNT. On the other hand, life sucks for four years, no if ands or buts about it. Getting out as an 03 leaves you very limited as far as job skills in the civilian world. Hope that this helps.

3/6 Marines soon to be in the 1st CIV DIV

D0311. I think your reply was to Tex43, and you can do that by just hitting reply under his post.

You sell yourself short in the discussion about job skills. You have focused on nothing but cost, time and performance during your tour, you have a great personal drive toward mission accomplishment, and will take risks to see things through to the end. These skills put you near the top of the employment food chain, especially if you add another level of education. The GI Bill is quite extensive. You've earned it. Take some time off, hang out with sexy liberal chicks, and enjoy reading the classics, such as Plato or Santayana, one of which made the following quote: "Only the dead have seen the end of war."

If you need assistance in the job search, drop me a PM. I too wore the fourragère.

I realize that the heart and determination are great qualities, what i meant is that there are no skill sets such as being a diesel mechanic or aircraft mechanic. Bout the only thing that you are set up for as far as skills is a cop or PMC.

I thought that is what you meant, and this opinion is largely spread through some of the ground units I believe to keep people from spending more time looking. LOL. Truly, the economy is keeping unemployment pretty high. Seems to be a real good time though to take advantage of the new GI Bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think that i can honestly say that if you have never been to war, you shouldnt talk about it in such a manner. Your right your generation will see it through, but you havent so i dont quite agree with your comment here. As for being an 0311, take this advice from one. It is a great feeling to look at a bunch of POGS and be able to say you are a GRUNT. On the other hand, life sucks for four years, no if ands or buts about it. Getting out as an 03 leaves you very limited as far as job skills in the civilian world. Hope that this helps </div></div>

You're right, I'm not looking forward to the prospect of war because as I hear War is hell.. You vets are my only means of understanding how it's like over there, and I got to say one on hand I apologize for the comment because you're right I haven't seen war yet so I have no business to speak of that which I do not know, and on the other hand a part of me is so overly determined to join the Corps as 0311 I know it is where I will be in 15 months, but as you said I haven't yet and I do understand your point and completely agree, I retract that statement.

I put a little bit of thought as to what I would do coming out, My father is a Police Officer so that's one possibility..

Ill take that speed bump when I get there I suppose.

Thanks Deadly, was a needed reality check.

That being said I'd like to thank you for your service to our country, we all appreciate it.. And take the advice of the other gentleman on the board and kick back, but i'd prefer some nice conservative ladies
wink.gif

i joined at 22 with a ged i did take college clases but no u dont have to that is bull there is even a waiver if u dont have a ged i cant lie i wish i never joined kinda i have a 3.5 yr old that i want to b with and i cant besides that i do think it has helped me progress as a person. physically i came in in really good shape i run a perfect pft but i think its a joke neways if u cant pass it u shuld of never thought bout military i think there r a lot marines that dont wanna b here but as u move up in rank that changes little by little just think of all the shyt u take 4 granted if u can live w/o that then yea i sugest joining