• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors USMC Knife Doctrine

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    What is the current knife fighting doctrine as taught by the USMC. There was a segment on the Mil. Channel, Discover or ? that concerned hand to hand training of instructors who would then return to their units and pass it on. I had stuff to do and missed the part concerning the knife. Thanks

Re: USMC Knife Doctrine

Only knife fighting I remember back in the late 90's was a bayonet attached to a M16...any knife training i ever got was from growing up in Jersey...hahahaha

Yea, it's kind of redundant to teach knife fighting to the highest trained marksmen in the US military.

I was in a long time before KJDrake was and can tell ya that the giant q-tip in boot was as close to knife fighting training as it got.

My bayonet was on the end of a rifle that was wood and metal but times change.

I have a neighbor whose son is going into the Marines in Aug. I would like to give him one of my knives when he graduates basic. Different styles work best with different knives. So the question.

Basic knife fighting is still taught. When i say basic, i mean BASIC...in the 90s knife tactics were taught as part of "line training". Now knife fighting is incorporated in to our Marine Corps Martial Arts Progam(MCMAP) training. The traing is nothing more then slashes and jabs with a knife the size of the standard k-bar.

I thought a greater emphasis on knife combat was behind the intro of the OKC3s ?

I havent seen any additional bayonet training since the replacement. Bayonet training is incorporated in to hand to hand combat training just as it has been for the last 15 years. The information taught has changed but there is no specific bayonet/knife training. Now, there may be a special few that get specific bayonet/knife training but i have never heard of it.

I recall using rubber knives to train with in Boot Camp back in 81..... Wasn't much, but it was a little helpful.... Didn't learn much more than I had growing up on the streets of NY.....

The "new" Marine Corps fighting style has doctrine for fighting with weapons like knife, stick, or anything else, or for fighting without anything in your hand.

One mind, any weapon, I think is their motto. My nephew studied it alot while he was in USMC, and really liked it. Said it was excellent, practical and useful real world fighting without all the BS in so many other styles.

Yes, that would be the Marine Corps Martials Arts Program that i mentioned earlier. It incorporates weapons of opportunity. I have to seriously question the "excellent, practical and useful real world fighting without all the BS in so many other styles." A lot of Marines have attempted to use the "new" traing to get their butt kicked. If it is practice extensively (which it isn't) then it is effective. The main problem i have with it is that it teachs Marines to subdue in hand-to-hand combat instead of rendering the enemy combat ineffective like the old training was designed to do.

In 1966, our H2H combat training included taking out a sentry from behind. Beyond that, nothing.

I was chosen as the demonstrator, gave it my best shot, and got knocked out cold. At least the Instructor took me seriously, and my DI privately complimented me later for my zeal, if not my brilliance. It was probably one of the key factors that led to my receiving promo to E-2 out of Boot. I may have been just a draftee, but I bought into The Program whole hog.

Greg

In MCMAP, as you go up from tan, grey, green, brown, then black belt the knife/bayonet techniques get more and more "complex." Tan belt is very very basic slashes, perry's, and thrusts. I don't really remember what they taught in grey, I think it was mostly bayonet. Green was a little more in depth, some counters to both armed and unarmed attackers. Brown belt was a lot more in depth as far as counters to armed and unarmed attackers. Also did a lot of disarming techniques for both knife and firearm wielding attackers. I'm not a black belt, so I can't speak for that.

Things have changed to much, they use to teach use anything available, that hands were made of flesh and blood. They break and bleed. Knife fighting stand presenting the smallest target possible and cut,slash or jab any exposed flesh.

Semper Fi

In 1990, I was sent to Quantico VA to learn the USMC Line System. The second week of training was all knife fighting. It actually saved my life when I got home and my crazy ex-wife tried to kill me with the big kitchen psycho knife. I transfered from the USMC to the USA in 1992, so I don't know if they still teach the Line System. (I realize all current and former Marines are cringing at the thought of an interservice transfer to the Army from the Marine Corps. It seemed like a good idea at the time)

Nope, L.I.N.E is history, they said it was too "brutal' and not "diciplined" enough for todays warfighter.(especially all the non-lethal political crap going on) Not to mention there is more to MCMAP than just the fighting skills, there is a lot of 'mentoring" now and history teachings. I suppose its good, it does cover way more than L.I.N.E. did. We had the MCMAP instructors next to us at the school house, so we were privy to a bit of fun (bull in the ring)in fact Ken Shamrock had shown up multiple times, he is an "honorary Marine', he and Tonya (his wife)would stay at a beachouse near our place in San Clemente.

MCMAP address knife training in increasing difficulty from tan-belt on up. Tan-belt is very basic, and can be taught in a few minutes, brown-belt goes into weapons of opportunity, and 1stDeg-Black goes into some "interesting" knife techniques.

2ndDeg-Black focuses on advanced bayonet training almost entirely

If you have any more general questions about the program, feel free to ask.

Back in the 70's I did WSSI and knife was taught from behind in water, silent killing and evade and kill in water awesome training even size did not matter.