• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing USMC Precision Weapons Repairman Looking for Job

USMARINE2112

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
VIRGINIA
Just want to start off by saying hello to whoever reads this. Ive been in the Marine Corps. working in the weapons field for about 8 years now. I will be getting out in Oct. and im curious to know if theres any employers out there looking for someone of my caliber? I build a pretty mean Rifle and my work ethics are second to none. I love guns and I dont consider working on them a job. If you love what you do its not a job. If anyone knows Mr. Eric Reid he can vouche on my work ethics and my capabilities on building a rifle. I have always had a can do attitude. CANT isnt in my vocabulary. Anywyas I dont want to babble on but if anyone knows any companies or individuals looking for someone please let me know. Thanks All.

Re: USMC Precision Weapons Repairman Looking for Job

Thanks man. I know people are looking to hire us. I could go to GA Precision in Missouri. Looking for a lil more money than hes offering. Also Ive met and talked with Bill Wiseman and he is willing to hire me.

Carter welcome to the Hide. How was it working there? Interested in trying to do that. What did you work on while you were there?

Man I love working there. Wish I could stay there but unfortunately there are no openings. We work on National match M16's, National match 45's, the enhanced marksmenship rifle, the m40A3 and A5 sniper rifles, and the 1911 pistols. I swear if I could land a job there Id never retire. Alot of people hate it for some reason. Its not the fleet thats for sure. and the wait list to get in the school is rather long right now. Over a year wait.

Have you looked at SD lil Brother..Dakota Arms as well as others.. Do your own thing? Tooling up cost, but could be worth it to go out on your own. PM inbound..

Its kind of the nature of the beast that most employers are not going to be able to pay you what your worth until you are able to prove yourself and make them money. Its just the way it is. I'm sure if you take a small hit in salary, you could work somewhere and prove yourself and eventually get to where you want to be based on your work ethic and skills!

Good luck and Semper FI!

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its kind of the nature of the beast that most employers are not going to be able to pay you what your worth until you are able to prove yourself and make them money. Its just the way it is. I'm sure if you take a small hit in salary, you could work somewhere and prove yourself and eventually get to where you want to be based on your work ethic and skills! </div></div>

This is true with alot of different careers. Some have the starting base salary, and after time, if they like your work skills/ethic than they will bump your pay to the next step increase and so on...

Sometimes you have to start a little low and work your way up!

Good luck to you. Its something I would love to do if I had the skills!

Good luck in your search. If you could get on with a great team like GAP, I am thinking you would be ahead in the long run. JMO.
Best Wishes
RTH

First off, welcome to the Hide.

In regards to starting salary, remember that experience comes in handy when asking for top dollar. I don't know what GAP offered (nor care) but take into account that working at a top rated shop will allow you to grow and mature in your skill just from being around highly experinced and skilled personel, if you keep an open mind. The experience will be INVALUABLE. Let your work do the talking for you.

Good luck with your search.

The VA have some programs to help vets start their own business just something to think about.

This is just me so take it for what it's worth.

I am planning to start my own shop in the next few years, but if I had the opportunity to work at GAP and they paid me enough to live on, I would jump on it! Just for the opportunity to learn more and gain more credibility in a very well thought of shop! I am sure you do great work, but we can always learn more and GAP seems like a great place to do that and also a great place to get your name spread around!

You know in 12 more suckie years you draw a check the rest of your life, in that time a college dregree could happen, and you'll be able to teach up coming gunsmiths your work ethic, skills, and leave a long lasting legancy for Marines to come. I was in your shoes 20 years ago, I got out of the USAF when aircraft mechanic jobs were hard to find, I sufferd thru low pay and long hours to get to where I'm at today, if you choose to get out, I bet the same is in store for you, I pray for good luck for you.

PM sent.

Carter. I have heard a lot about you. I am working with Bill right now, if you call doing what you love work. He has a ton of knowledge and is willing to share it. You will not get rich but will get to work a lot. We have many new things we are putting together. If you would like send me a pm with your number and we could discuss it in more depth. Stay safe.

+ 1 on the GAP thoughts. its a foot in the door at a place that many here swear by and the rest of us drool over. thanks for your service

hey man. Im coming out there next month for 4 days to check the shop out so I will probably see you there.

JR Carter,

Email inbound on project.

Welcome to the Hide.

From one veteran to another, Thank You for your service, volunteerism, and stepping forward.

U2AV8R