• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Running Prep?

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
Hey guys I am just wondering if anyone here could help me out with a good routine to get myself ready for boot camp. I know there are lots of workouts out there but I was hoping to hear from someone who maybe had more directly related experience to the type of running and fitness required for boot camp rather than just running a 5k. Just a little background for you guys, I played sports all through high school (soccer, football, lax) but have never been much of a distance runner. I have the pushups, situps, and pullups all taken care of but this is my first experience with getting out on my own and running. Cardio wise I am completely out of shape since I have only been lifting and haven't trained for running of any type since high school which was 2 years ago. Ran on the track twice so far and did 3 miles in 30 minutes and 28:30 the second time with a little more motivation and energy. Hoping to take it down to 21:00 by the end of September...is this a reasonable goal? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post!

Re: USMC Running Prep?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I am just wondering if anyone here could help me out with a good routine to get myself ready for boot camp. I know there are lots of workouts out there but I was hoping to hear from someone who maybe had more directly related experience to the type of running and fitness required for boot camp rather than just running a 5k. Just a little background for you guys, I played sports all through high school (soccer, football, lax) but have never been much of a distance runner. I have the pushups, situps, and pullups all taken care of but this is my first experience with getting out on my own and running. Cardio wise I am completely out of shape since I have only been lifting and haven't trained for running of any type since high school which was 2 years ago. Ran on the track twice so far and did 3 miles in 30 minutes and 28:30 the second time with a little more motivation and energy. Hoping to take it down to 21:00 by the end of September...is this a reasonable goal? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post! </div></div>
have you considered any running apps for your phone, or ipod?....lately instead of coaching folks on running, i have just been recommending downloading apps....

they have a lot of them...this one would be rather light for you..but i recommend it for people who are just starting out...they have the apps all the way to marathon trainers though...

http://splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/

Lots of water, till you about puke, then drink more.

Normally we do side straddle hops, leg lifts, bend and trusts, sit-ups, push-ups, then go run. Come back and do pull-ups.

They will teach you. Keep your head up, breath in threw your nose, breath out threw your mouth. Keep your arms loose.

I was 16LBS over my max, and didn't run for shit entering. I left thin and running like the wind.

Best advice, is if you are over weight or close now, loose it before you go. Otherwise you are really hungry for 3 months and it does suck to be that hungry. Also it is just one more thing they can poke at you.

Personal note: Since you are in NH. If you happen to know a Brett Bryant about 37ish now. Have him look me up. He was one of my roommates at Lejeune. He was a good guy, that I lost track of.

I would not waste my time in the gym or doing things like p90x, just get out and run. Also work as much on dead hang pull ups, proper push ups, and sit ups as you do running. Honestly the PT in boot camp is very easy, every thing is done in a group and as long as you are not the slowest and weakest one you will be good to go. The real PT starts when you hit the fleet. Good luck and allways push harder never settle!!!

SEMPER FI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry about it, They will teach you to run. </div></div>

All together now....

Momma's in the kitchen,
My Daddy's in jail,
Sister on the corners got pussy for sale.........

Put some heavy stuff in a small pack with uncomfortable straps and run till you think you're gonna die.... Drink some water.... Run more

Awesome thanks for all the advice guys, just gonna keep getting my ass out there and running.

Dont worry about it. There will be plenty of people both faster and slower than you when you are at boot camp. Just stick to "getting in shape" and you shouldnt have a problem. Just make sure that you arent devolping any injuries now that will manifest while at boot camp. Nothing worse than being in a "broke dick" company.

Fuck your best friends wife, but make sure it's right around the time he's getting off from work. When you hear the slide of the pump followed by the "WTF is this shit!?!?!?" take off! No better motivator than actually running for your life.

It'll be cool later when you tell him that you were just training... You should both get a good laugh out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of water, till you about puke, then drink more.</div></div>

-Sounds like a great way to die of hyponatremia.

Just lose extra weight, continue on with your goal of getting that run time way way way lower than it is now, and you will be not be in the back of the pack on good ol PI.

If you are still near your school, reach out to your Cross COuntry coach. Locally all HS CC races are 5K's. Get workouts from him or her or if your schedule fits try to meet up with them and run with them.

Just a thought.

Go out drinking with all of your friends until around 2-3am or 0200-0300 if you really want to get "in the zone" then wake up at approx 530 and go running randomly around your neighbor hood with a glow belt on. Do this for about 3-4 miles every morning. If you are hating your life and your body hurts you are doing it correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out drinking with all of your friends until around 2-3am or 0200-0300 if you really want to get "in the zone" then wake up at approx 530 and go running randomly around your neighbor hood with a glow belt on. Do this for about 3-4 miles every morning. If you are hating your life and your body hurts you are doing it correctly. </div></div>

No no no. That's to get in the zone for the fleet marine corps - this man is looking to get in the zone for boot camp.

ROAD GUARDS!!!

PS. If you decide to run at night make sure you take your "Moon Beam"

3 miles in 18 min thats your goal . if you can do that you can 1st class pft and have a good chance of not getting dropped due to pft from whatever schools you attend.

Add variety to your runs. Run different routes on different days. Alternate your running into hard days and recovery days. One day a week run longer about 1/4 of your weekly mileage that day, assuming you are running 5 days a week or more. If you have questions on specifics ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROAD GUARDS!!! </div></div>

POST!!!!

Hahaha Semper fi devils, feel at home for a minute. Jeff 03, breacher is right, he needs to have a cigarette hanging out his mouth...Haha

Was just thinking about it JCas45, and it seems like you've been offered alot of decent advice on getting better at running here.

Also worth considering, in getting that run time lower, not only do you want to develop good form for actually running, but just cardiovascular fitness will also help you (even if its not achieved through running). For instance, swimming and ridding the bikes at the gym will work out your heart and lungs and burn some fat, whilst not stressing your joints.

Do get in tune with running on pavement, but also get towards your goal with overall cardio fitness, that way you're body will be fresher prior to arrival on Parris Island.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out drinking with all of your friends until around 2-3am or 0200-0300 if you really want to get "in the zone" then wake up at approx 530 and go running randomly around your neighbor hood with a glow belt on. Do this for about 3-4 miles every morning. If you are hating your life and your body hurts you are doing it correctly. </div></div>

Don't forgot about running in some really heavy uncomfortable boots once in awhile. The key to this though is to bring all your drinking buddies and randomly decide to carry and drag each other around while trying not to puke. Oh, and if there are no hills or soft sand you are lost and need to go find some.

stretch before, stretch after. find your flow and don't listen to that part of your brain that is screaming to stop. find your breathing flow too...I breath on a four-count "In-In-Ou-T"
breathing cramps are rumored to be too much CO2 in your lungs. try bigger exhales to get all the used air out. good luck, stay tough in the brain. never be the slowest!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry about it, They will teach you to run. </div></div>

Bingo.

I couldn't run worth a shit when I shipped. As long as you aren't a fatbody you should be fine.

If you want to get better at running.....run.

When do you ship off to Boot camp??

I was no means out of shape when I went, But in the eyes of the corps i was a fat body!!
225 and only 6 foot tall...

If you are over weight (in the eyes of the military try and lose some weight now) Trust me you will lose more while at Boot camp.

As far as running goes: Get out there and run BUT dont kill yourself and end up injuried before shipping out (that will fuck you and possibly keep you at home)
If you can get to a gym dont run on a treadmill, BUT instead use a stair climber (the one with actual stairs that move) 20mins level as high as you can stand it and go to town.
just to give you a little idea of how well you will improve over your 3 month stay: I could run 3 miles in about 24 mins, 7 dead hang pull up, 70 sit ups , when I left i was running 19 min 3 miles , 17 dead hangs and 100 sit ups..

good luck!