• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Usmc scope

Hostile Natured

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
Can some one please confirm the exact scope and reticle in use by the USMC on the M40A5 at the moment.

I know its a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 PMII LP MTC but I have read conflicting reports about the reticle.

Is it a Gen 2 reticle or a P4L or P4L fine?????

Also what reticle on the S&B 5-25x56 that is in use?

Thanks in advance for your help. It too much money to spend to find out I bought the wrong scope.

The Scout Sniper Day Scope is a Premier Reticles Heritage 3-15×50mm Tactical. As of 2010, this model replaced the Schmidt & Bender 3–12×50 Police Marksman II LP rifle scopes.

The Scout Sniper Day Scope is a Premier Reticles Heritage 3-15×50mm Tactical. As of 2010, this model replaced the Schmidt & Bender 3–12×50 Police Marksman II LP rifle scopes.

Do you have a link for this misinformation?

Last edited:
The reticle in the M8541's (Schmidt and bender 3-12x50) is an etched glass, generation 2 Mil-dot duplex reticle on the 1st focal plain. It's a premier reticle in an S&B scope, which is why it's not available on the civilian market. The new M8541A's are premier reticles in a premier scope.

Come on brother; I hope you can do better then a vendor's video! They were using them as a substitute on the M110 because not enough S&B's around. I doubt that you'll see any on the M40 A3-A5! Is there a NSN #? If there is why isn't it pasted all over their site? If I were you I would contact that person in the video to see if he feels the same now?

Last edited:
The reticle in the M8541's (Schmidt and bender 3-12x50) is an etched glass, generation 2 Mil-dot duplex reticle on the 1st focal plain. It's a premier reticle in an S&B scope, which is why it's not available on the civilian market. The new M8541A's are premier reticles in a premier scope.
There are hundreds in the civilian market; just not new.

Come on brother; I hope you can do better then a vendor's video! They were using them as a substitute on the M110 because not enough S&B's around. I doubt that you'll see any on the M40 A3-A5! Is there a NSN #? If there is why isn't it pasted all over their site? If I were you I would contact that person in the video to see if he feels the same now?

All I had handy was that video. I do have further info and pics somewhere, but I have not seen one w/ the NSN #.

The VERY BEST source to hear the truth about the Schmidt & Bender M8541 and any ?'s about the Premier, is Jerry Ricker. You can call/email him directly at the Schmidt & Bender Service Center.

Edit w/ POC info for Jerry Ricker: [email protected] / 1.703.953.1253

Last edited:
Outlaw105,
I was gonna actually suggest you ask him as I noticed he is one of your friends. Btw, really like some of your projects.

After parting ways wit S&B and developing their own scopes, Premier submitted the 3-15x50 to the USMC for testing as required by the "engineering change protocol" (what that means is that a supplier that makes changes to a contract item has to get those changes approved, which is basically a complete retesting if it's a completely new product).

The PRH 3-15x50 was purchased for use on the M110 semi-autos, of course the S&Bs on the M40s weren't thrown away and replaced, so both scopes are in service in parallel. You can see the markings of the PRH in this video:

Premier Reticle US Marine sniper scope subjected to 700g's. - YouTube

Its marked as M8541a, while S&Bs are marked M8541 (without the "a"). Really no big mystery here.

I'd rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother shoot with a Premier...

Why do you guys say that? If I could afford a Premier I would buy one in a heart beat. I didn't know anything was wrong with them other than the company being restructured recently...

Why do you guys say that? If I could afford a Premier I would buy one in a heart beat. I didn't know anything was wrong with them other than the company being restructured recently...

Posturing. If you were to take the opinion on this board (and others) about how unreliable scopes of all major manufacturers have been at one time or another, you'd end up with a very short list left to choose from, and all of those at a low, low price point at which you don't expect reliability. Maybe Nightforce is the only one on here that doesn't have a camp of haters about performance (only questions about product limitations/conceptual mistakes).

So, that said, nothing wrong with the Premier 3-15x50 Tactical inherently - it's only a matter of taste in knob/click style in my view vs. others.

Bullshit. I have owned both models of pr scopes and both were crap. Both were returned for repairs due to extreme leakage when shot in the rain. Both needed knob repairs. No posturing simply fact. I have owned 13 S&B scopes...never had to get one repaired.

Last edited:
Like I said, every scope has had failures to report about. Not every scope model or make is a lemon, though.
Not every scope has internals made in "Nunya"! Until someone from the new company states otherwise that's where they are made at ! Not American, not German, not Japanese.....Nunya. Must be a new country between Taiwan and Korea!
Old Premier facility in Nunya; hope they've changed!
2mgmqdf.jpg

Last edited:
The M110's I played with at Quantico had "8541a" marked 3-15x Premiers and the M40A5's had "8541" marked S&B 3-12x's

What exactly is "8541a"?? Wonder if it is anything like the Tasco Super Sniper contract w/ the Navy?

Last edited:
I guess it's just Premiers designation mark. S&B already had 8541 so they had to make theirs the 8541a. It's a 3-15 tactical with a gen 2 mil dot reticle

I don't think so, just says its a contract scope.

Perhaps a "substitute" for a contract scope!
From Premier's website:
A major milestone came in 2005 when Premier was awarded the contract to manufacture the United States Marine Corps’ then-new Scout Sniper Day Scope

Either a bold faced lie or someone isn't familiar w/ the term "manufacture"!
And S&B didn't have the contract for 8541; Premier did.

Last edited:
Turk,

Give it a rest, you know Premier's are used, and you know the new company is HQ'd in Canada and has nothing to do with Chris and his "nunya" statement.

The USMC is using them, that is not disputed.

Since the S&B's are on the M40 and the PR's are on the 110's and BOTH are scout sniper day scopes they both have the designation of 8541. Since the PR was the second scope to come online for The Corps we had to use the suffix "a" so they could be kept separate in the system but also be run side by side if they needed to do so.
And yes, we have a NSN for our scope.
Thanks,
Paul