• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Sout Snipers

Re: USMC Sout Snipers

And becoming an officer would be a good thing to do right <span style="font-style: italic">before</span> you got promoted out of a job doing something you really liked - which will inevitably happen.

Then you may be able to get back into the action - <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> because the Corps assigns people mostly with respect to the needs of the Corps, and often with a complete lack of regard for the individual's wishes and desires.

thanks for all your information, guys. thats what i was afraid of, i prefer to do than to tell. i had planned on joining out of high school, had no plans for college, but got a baseball scholarship to ECU and played a few years. finishing up my degree and the itch hasnt gone away. I've heard for guys out of college going in enlisted is a tough transition mostly bc you go from being out of the house and doing what you want, when you want, to being treated like a 12 year old with the young guys straight out of hs. i do realize bootcamp/ocs will be a reality check either way though

When i submitted my initial package to the OSO i had ground as my area of interest...id love to fly but im too tall (6'7") and think i would enjoy being an infantry officer just as much as a pilot, for very different reasons obviously. having family/friends either CWOs or enlisted gave me a very distinct view of Lts, captains, etc. bc of the gap between their rank and the experience of the others. id prefer to earn the respect of the guys im tasked with leading, rather than be given to me bc of a college degree. I know a big part is working with your NCOs though. Like i said though, my biggest issue is not wanting to sit back and watch others do the work im perfectly capable and anxious to do, but planned/coordinated

I had considered enlisting, getting a deployment under my belt, then re-upping to attempt the MARSOC route (which ive heard is the most traveled path to that). If I didnt get it I could get out if i didnt like being in, or go to OCS if i did want to stay.

hadnt thought about the intel route, ive got a Russian language certificate and working on a Pashtu certificate that i should have done in the spring so thats an interesting option. I really have no idea what their roles are or anything, the closest i can get is recon battalion where some family friends still work...and im not sure how much they could tell me :shrug:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id love to fly but im too tall (6'7")</div></div>

Good lord son...have fun on the stalk lane...talk about a target indicator!

Just messin' with ya, good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you want to do work then enlist. If you want to supervise then go officer. Just know that you aren't going to be kicking doors or taking long range shots as an O.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Panic0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id love to fly but im too tall (6'7")</div></div>

Good lord son...have fun on the stalk lane...talk about a target indicator!
</div></div>

ha yeah tell me about it. that may not work out for me too well. maybe ill just hope to be a designate marksman if all else fails lol

I do not believe MARSOC exist anymore. From what I have been told it went back to being Force Recon. I think that is because of the negative publicity of the shootout in Afghanistan. I think they are still part of SOCOM though. Like Lone wolf said. Enlisted DO.

I may be wrong, I was not 100% on that. I was talking to my buddy who was in MARSOC a few years ago and still teaches out at stone bay, and he told me it went back to being Force. However like I said I am not 100% on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not believe MARSOC exist anymore. From what I have been told it went back to being Force Recon. I think that is because of the negative publicity of the shootout in Afghanistan. I think they are still part of SOCOM though. Like Lone wolf said. Enlisted DO. </div></div>

Haha...as bigjoe stated...MARSOC is definitely still around and not going anywhere.

Force is seperate entity with a whole different mission.

I stand corrected. MARSOC is alive and well. He said Force was stood up again to support the MEU but is seperate. I apologize for the bad info. Thanks Bigjoe and Panic.

hey i'm also trying for scout sniper, im enlisted in the delayed entry program and planning for infantry 311 then workin my ass off for any openings i can find, im 17 right now, i graduate this year then ship out to bootcamp august, i was just wondering if there's any specific workouts or exercises i can do, so far im running, pull ups (dead hangs), push ups, sit ups, and jog-walking with a pack on. Anything that would help or any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You're doing the important stuff already, just stay on it. Your recruiter should be able to give you more ideas and assistance too.

Good luck.

I can't help but find it quite laughable when I hear these young kids planning out their careers in the Marines from behind a high school desk.

Let me tell you something that you can count on...BEING TOLD EVERY F-ING MOVE TO MAKE for about 2 years. You are not going to have a say in shit...I guarantee it. Once you get to the fleet and prove yourself as a competent infantryman, then, maybe, if you can handle a 24 hour thrashing, you might get to train with a scout/sniper platoon. Only after you have proven yourself to your peers (NCO's and platoon sergeant) are you going to Division School. And even after you get to school, that doesn't mean that you will complete the training the first go-around...I don't care how tough you are, it is all about following instructions and most cock-strong devil dogs with an agenda have a hard time with that.

I am not trying to discourage you, I was just like you, but I can't help but offer a dose of reality in your mission. It will take a long time to get there (years) and I can promise you that any overblown, dramatized, movie magic bullshit that you are watching is nothing and I do mean nothing like the real thing.

I will agree with the others that have been there when they say "run your ass off" and be ready to adapt to any condition out there (like scrubbing pissers and shitters). The Marine Corp is not Hollywood and S/S platoon is not something you get to just "try out for" like the high school football team...you get selected and then tested.

As far as workouts, shit, my platoon sergeant smoked Marlboro's and drank Mt. Dew everyday/allday and still ran our dicks in the dirt...it's all mental, pal...mind over matter...if you don't mind it "don't" matter

Anyway, good luck, kid...if you have got the guts to put up with all the shit sandwiches that you will have to eat, then you will be fine. It's all mental...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...(like scrubbing pissers and shitters).

The Marine Corps builds men. It also trains excellent janitors.
</div></div>

Can fold a mean hospital corner too...

I just graduated basic on December 10th. When your told to run don't take it lightly. The more endurance you have the better and the higher your pft score is the better. If you didnt already know it's a 3 mile run (18:00 for perfect), pullups (20 for perfect), situps in two minutes (100 for perfect). A 300 Pft out of boot camp get your a meritorious PFC promotion. Now gettig that 300 Pft is the easy part.

95% of people that had problems in boot camp couldn't handle the mental stresses (it's not that bad at all really) and let that carry over into their physical conditions. Boot camp literally boils down to this: instantly do everything you're told to do and do it as fast as possible. That's all. Now I have a 03 contract and my SDI was 0369 and he had this to say about SS and recon: if you want to do it don't bother with shooting. Have a great Pft, strong mind and will and be persistent. They teach you everything you need to know myob just have to have the will to do what's necessary to learn them the way the marines teaches it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just graduated basic on December 10th. When your told to run don't take it lightly. The more endurance you have the better and the higher your pft score is the better. If you didnt already know it's a 3 mile run (18:00 for perfect), pullups (20 for perfect), situps in two minutes (100 for perfect). A 300 Pft out of boot camp get your a meritorious PFC promotion. Now gettig that 300 Pft is the easy part.

95% of people that had problems in boot camp couldn't handle the mental stresses (it's not that bad at all really) and let that carry over into their physical conditions. Boot camp literally boils down to this: instantly do everything you're told to do and do it as fast as possible. That's all. Now I have a 03 contract and my SDI was 0369 and he had this to say about SS and recon: if you want to do it don't bother with shooting. Have a great Pft, strong mind and will and be persistent. They teach you everything you need to know myob just have to have the will to do what's necessary to learn them the way the marines teaches it. </div></div>

Being in good physical shape is only part of it. Ive seen 300 pft'ers not make it past the 1st day of Scout Sniper Screening. Physical fitness is a large part of it,but, PMA, Mental toughness, heart, and a competeitive nature is whatll get you there. Keep training hard, dont hurt yourself, and remeber your goals especially when your physically and mentally smoked. Mission failure is NOT an option! Thats what separates the men from the boys. Good luck.

I have thought about doing this also. but feel old now (25)

here is what is necessary to join.

These are the basics, Units vary with Indocs and Pre-Reqs.

Minimum Requirements: As per HQMC School Quota Message:

Criteria: 60 days prior to a class convening, the G-3 at each division will receive a message from HQMC stating the number of funded quotas given to each division, the gear list, report date, and criteria for attending. THE FOLLOWING PREREQUISITES MUST BE MET BY THE REPORTING MARINE OR HE WILL BE RETURNED TO HIS UNIT:

1. Lance Corporal through Captain.
2. Infantry MOS or MOS 0203.
3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
4. Serving in or designated for assignment to a Scout Sniper billet.
5. Minimum of 12 months remaining on current contract upon completion of course
(Does not apply to reservist)
6. Must score a First Class PFT on course convene date.
7. Current rifle Expert. Must have qualified in the last fiscal year.
(Reservist can have a score three years old, but must be current Expert)
8. No courts martials or NJP within the last six months.
9. Minimum GT of 100.
10. No history of mental illness.
11. Must be a volunteer.
12. It is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, for the student to have completed the following MCI courses: Land Navigation, Patrolling, Calling and Adjusting Supporting Arms, and Reconnaissance Marine. It is also recommended but not required that the student have conducted basic Scout Sniper field skills: stalks, concealment, field sketches, range cards, range estimations, and firing of the M-40A1 prior to attending the course. Students should also posses a high degree of maturity, equanimity, and common sense.
13. Bottom line: the best, most experienced infantry you can send.

Marine Corps PFT: For a perfect score: 3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunchs under two minutes.
Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.

Two of the better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a Recon unit or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.
The other way is to be sent to an Infantry Battalion and then volunteer for the Scout/Sniper Platoon. The S/S Plt runs indocs annually and pulls in personnel from the BN.

Each Sniper unit runs its own version of the indoc but they are all extremely difficult. Once in the unit you will go through all the training to become a sniper before ever going to S/S School. Once at the school you will be expected to have all the basic knowledge of a Scout/Sniper and the advanced knowledge of an infantry Marine. You will show up with everything that you will need to make it through the school including your ghillie suit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Two of the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">faster</span></span> better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Recon unit</span></span> or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.</div></div>

+1

This is the fast track - get in a unit that regularly has school slots.

- Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought about doing this also. but feel old now (25)

</div></div>

You're not too old. When I got into STA we had a sergeant who was 29 and got to the unit when he was 26 and passed with flying colors. I personally think he had an advantage over most candidates. We eliminated more Marines in the indoc due to their immaturity than lack of physical capability or smarts.

I hope you take this into consideration. It was the best decision I ever made going out for STA (next to marrying my wife of course) and it is something nobody can ever take from you. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.