• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Winchester M70 ?

Emilio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Burbank, CA
After reading a couple of books they all seem to agree that the Winchester M70 used by the Marines had medium-heavy barrels. Can anyone tell me what contour that would be?

Re: USMC Winchester M70 ?

Sir,
They were just target weight barrels. 24" for the most part. Many were not factory barrels, but had the same straight taper from receiver to muzzle. Standard weight rifles re barreled. Dougless I think.
I have seen a very few "snipers match" rifles in Mod 54 and 70. They had 26" barrels, integral front sights. Most were in 30-06, a few in 300 H&H and one in .270 Win. None were USMC marked, but were cataloged as "snipers match" so who knows who used them?
Those will be numbered very low in the mod 70. Barrel dates will be 32-35 in the ones I have seen. They are not cut for the front sight hood. Rec #s will be less than 20,000. The USMC # block is roughly 42,000-49XXX. Hope this helps.
RTH

Saddler, that would be great. I have seen factory "bull barrels" which are a lot heavier than some real USMC issued. The few real USMC M70 seemed to almost have a varmit weight barel. I just want to make sure before I order a barrel for it. I have also noticed diffrent lengths from 24-26".

I'd call Douglas and ask for the Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 Target Barrel. The National match is a Standard sporter Barrel Contour and the Bull Barrell Is a Larger Diameter.

The original purchase of Model 70's by the Marine Corps. was in May of 1942. They purchased all of the standard weight barreled rifles Winchester had in stock, I think it was around 375 or so. I have a copy of the purchase letter from the National Archives but can't put my hands on it right this second.

I used to own serial number 46987, it has a standard weight barrel, original sporting stock and was equipped with a Weaver M73B1 scope in an ML Stith mount. The stock had the crossed cannon ordnance wheel on the right side of the butt, and two inspector markings in front of the floorplate. I purchased this rifle at a gun show in Havre Montana for $660 many years ago, and sold it about 10 years ago which I regret to this day.

The Marine Corps. museum at Quantico has several rifles within 5 numbers of the serial number I used to own. One still has the standard weight barrel, the others have had the barrels changed over the years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">The original purchase of Model 70's by the Marine Corps. was in May of 1942. They purchased all of the standard weight barreled rifles Winchester had in stock, I think it was around 375 or so.</span> I have a copy of the purchase letter from the National Archives but can't put my hands on it right this second.

I used to own serial number 46987, it has a standard weight barrel, original sporting stock and was equipped with a Weaver M73B1 scope in an ML Stith mount. The stock had the crossed cannon ordnance wheel on the right side of the butt, and two inspector markings in front of the floorplate. I purchased this rifle at a gun show in Havre Montana for $660 many years ago, and sold it about 10 years ago which I regret to this day.

The Marine Corps. museum at Quantico has several rifles within 5 numbers of the serial number I used to own. One still has the standard weight barrel, the others have had the barrels changed over the years.</div></div>

I'm a little confused on the purchase of Winchester rifles. It was my understanding that Winchester went to the military and offered to produce precision rifles for the military and were refused. Is the purchase you are talking about, one made for Rec services which was destined to be 'appropriated' by the Marine Corps for such purpose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">The original purchase of Model 70's by the Marine Corps. was in May of 1942. They purchased all of the standard weight barreled rifles Winchester had in stock, I think it was around 375 or so.</span> I have a copy of the purchase letter from the National Archives but can't put my hands on it right this second.

The Marine Corps. museum at Quantico has several rifles within 5 numbers of the serial number I used to own. One still has the standard weight barrel, the others have had the barrels changed over the years.</div></div>

I'm a little confused on the purchase of Winchester rifles. It was my understanding that Winchester went to the military and offered to produce precision rifles for the military and were refused. Is the purchase you are talking about, one made for Rec services which was destined to be 'appropriated' by the Marine Corps for such purpose? </div></div>

The purchase in May 1942 was an emergency purchase to evaluate the model 70 for sniper purposes. They purchased the standard weight rifles in the standard military caliber, .30 GOV'T 06. It was not a part of anything proposed by Winchester, I read in one of my old American Rifleman magazines Winchester was reprimanded by the government for continuing to make commercial guns and not getting on board the war effort early enough. I have looked for my copy of the letter but can't put my hands on it. The purchase in 1942 is also documented in one of Senich's books but I don't remember which. When I discussed this with one of the staff at the museum at Quantico he said a lot of the original purchase never saw use in combat, they were "evaluated" and many were "brown bagged" because they are fantastic hunting rifles.

When I find my copy of the original purchase letter I will scan it and post it here. I received a copy by sending a request to the National Archives, it took about 2 months to get the copy of the letter.

168BTHPM,

It's kind of coming a little clearer. Winchester went to the military and said they'd produce precision rifles. Group 'A' in the military didn't tell Group 'X' in the military that they had done that, then refused the offer. Group 'X' then proceeded to purchase y-number of rifles for evaluation. Which of course flunked out for no reason in particular, except that the evaluators like hunting and didn't think these were adequate sniper rifles. In short they probably had no idea what they were doing.
In the meantime, I know this is somewhat factual, if not murky. People who DID know what they were doing in the sniping realm, and who were somehow foretold or forewarned about the X-Winchester offer/refusal discussions, started somehow having M70 rifles acquired for 'Rec Services'. Whereupon, gaining those rifles to shoot for leisure purposes ...when troops weren't training hard with other rifles, they were 'appropriated' from Rec Services and pushed into service for 'other' duties.

That's my conspiracy theory and I'm stickin' to it.

Here is a Winchester factory Heavy barrel in a sporter stock, not all were this contour:

Pre-64M70Target4.jpg

Good luck

Jerry

Hi Guys, Im a Mod 70 lover and own, deer hunt with a 56' mod 70 target in a sporter stock, barrel looks new and still shoots better than me, I use fed prem 165 gr BTs and Win black bos 168 gr Bt's. I love to shoot Fed Match 168gr fodder as well on paper. Ive posted this article before and it adds a little knowledge vis the mod 70 , military deal.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/military-winchester-model-70/
very best

George set up mine at GA. I think it was a Douglas barrel, I'll have to look back. The sight blocks can be a pain to run down.
DSC_03730001.jpg

okweber.com has the sight blocks that I used on my M24 and they actually have the same contour if I'm not mistaken. Finding an old sight block with the right contour is like a needle in a haystack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hula</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George set up mine at GA. I think it was a Douglas barrel, I'll have to look back. The sight blocks can be a pain to run down.
DSC_03730001.jpg
</div></div>
I went to a gun show in syracuse and spent 45 minutes going through a box of Unertl blocks. I found the LV that had thus far eluded my searches.
Also, the people at Douglas or at least the ones I've talked too do not have the barrel specs and would like them as they are asked the question quite often.

Emilio, generally accepted the barrels used during Vietnam were either Winchester marked 24 inch medium heavy barrels or unmarked 26 inch Douglas barrels, on the 24 inch barrel I think its .790 at the muzzle. I am pretty sure if you call Mike Lau or Gap they would provide the exact dimensions for you, I do know that Obermeyer does supply both the old and new Winchester barrel dimensions and that TBA was using Douglas barrels.

I've talked to Mike and Connor at Celtic. I believe i have posted the donor rifle in the past. This has been a much slower project than some others ive attempted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">168BTHPM,

It's kind of coming a little clearer. Winchester went to the military and said they'd produce precision rifles. Group 'A' in the military didn't tell Group 'X' in the military that they had done that, then refused the offer. Group 'X' then proceeded to purchase y-number of rifles for evaluation. Which of course flunked out for no reason in particular, except that the evaluators like hunting and didn't think these were adequate sniper rifles. In short they probably had no idea what they were doing.
In the meantime, I know this is somewhat factual, if not murky. People who DID know what they were doing in the sniping realm, and who were somehow foretold or forewarned about the X-Winchester offer/refusal discussions, started somehow having M70 rifles acquired for 'Rec Services'. Whereupon, gaining those rifles to shoot for leisure purposes ...when troops weren't training hard with other rifles, they were 'appropriated' from Rec Services and pushed into service for 'other' duties.

That's my conspiracy theory and I'm stickin' to it. </div></div>

I do know later on General Van Orden special ordered some model 70's for his sniper program. They were marksman grade rifles with heavy barrels. I also had one of those, but it had been sent to Evaluators Ltd and turned into a 300M Free Rifle for the AMU. I am not sure if the AMU ever used it but the paper trail is documented by Springfield Research until the rifle reach the AMU. Unfortunately it's another one of those guns I wish I hadn't sold. I think I have a picture of it, if I can find it I will post it here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hula</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George set up mine at GA. I think it was a Douglas barrel, I'll have to look back. The sight blocks can be a pain to run down.
DSC_03730001.jpg
</div></div>

I have a coffee can full of the blocks if you need some I will see if I have the right ones. Some of the Winchester blocks were dished out on top, and some were very long hole spacing.

The third rifle down with the honey colored stock is the Van Orden rifle that was converted into a 300M Free Rifle. It was a real hammer when I owned it.

guns2.jpg

168BTHPW, I was under the impression that the Corp had bought large numbers of Model 70's prior to 1942 for their shooting teams. Was the purchase in 1942 directly related to Van Orden/Lloyd treatise and these rifles were used for that evaluation.

When I sent the request to the National Archives asking specifically for the WWII and pre-WWII purchase of model 70's the only thing they returned to me was the letter documenting the May 1942 purchase of standard grade rifles.

It was my understanding the Van Orden rifles were post Korean War. I have been looking for my letter and books by Senich and Canfield since my first post in this thread. When I find that stuff I can be more certain of the numbers and dates.

I don't recall ever reading anything about a pre-war purchase of model 70's of any kind. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, I just don't remember seeing anything about it. I do seem to recall reading something about the Marine Corps. testing or purchasing some model 54's but don't remember why. I have seen a model 54 with an ordnance bomb stamped above the serial number but do not know the history of the rifle.

I know both the Corp and the Army bought Model 70's prior to 1942. The exact numbers, I am not totally sure, but several books mention at least 1000+ by the Corp alone, including the 300+ bought in 1942. Most if not all the Model 70's used in the 50's shooting events, or those that ended up being used for base services were pre-war Model 70's. I read recently that the Corp purchased 200 Model 70's in the mid-50's as well. As for the Model 54, Henry Crowe won the Wimbledon Trophy in 1936 using a Winchester Model 54, I guess they bought and used some of them anyways for the rifle teams. I have a fairly extensive listing of the Van Orden rifles sold between 1952 and 1959

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skunk, thats a real nice collection you have there. </div></div>

OMG!

Thanks, guys. I think my NM 03 is my favorite....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A VanOrden at the top...

DSC01987_zps87cc9b11.jpg
</div></div>

What is the scope on the Van Orden? An 8X Unertl? I've often wondered if the super long scopes like that naturally made the scope more accurate than the shorter scopes. Simply by the virtue of more distance between aiming points. I had a 1927 Fecker that shot incredibly accurate on my .222 Rem. About 1/2" @ 100. I wonder if I had it on something even more accurate (riflewise) if it couldn't have done better.

Lyman super target by the looks of it. Power ??

Lija has the specs for the original targets on their web site. I emailed the specs to Obermeyer and place an order for two. Their specs said .785 at 24" and the Senich books say .790. I don't think I'll notice.

The scope on the Van Orden is a 20X Lyman Super Targetspot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what you guys need for your M70, and it's availiable!

IMG_0245.jpg

...</div></div>

Save that for me until I can afford it next month okay?
wink.gif
grin.gif

Just got lucky and scored 5 pairs of the factory scope blocks for the target off of eBay!

Call Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory. I just my USMC M70 back from him last month and will post pictures when I can. Mike does great work.