• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes USO base WTF question

bcw1284

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Cheyenne, Wyoming
ok, so I got a uso 20moa rail to replace my two piece mounts... for long action 700.

the website says it comes with several different length screws... I got 6 in the bag, only need 4, but they are all the same length, which is WAY too fucking long. They stick clear through into the lug recesses... I'm not talking about something I can fix with a couple strokes on a file, or i'd have already done it. They are AT LEAST 1/8" too long, if not more...

I can't reuse my last se of screws, can't find any the right size in town... so tell me, WTF? anyone else got a base with this set of screws in it? I'm going to call them, but just wondering if anyone else had this happen, like maybe there was a slip-up in packagin or something...

Re: USO base WTF question

ok, update, I called them... apparently the website is a "mistake", and they don't have any shorter screws. I'm not just looking to whine here, but seriously, you only need two lengths for a 700... how hard is it to put 2 long screws and two short screws in the bag? I'd trade the two extras for the right ones in the first place. If they were left long to accomodate bedding, then the two rear screws would be too short to engage, as they are PERFECT as is. I don't get it.

I like the hell out of USO, and I know they are good people, but this just seems like doing a 98% job to me and not finishing it up... Now I have to figure out how to cut them off without fucking up the threads, because I don't have any nuts or taps/dies to chase the threads, and there is no fucking way i'm paying the local gun butcher to fix these. It sucks living in an apt. and not having tools at hand, but seriously, this is not that hard to do at the factory. I've NEVER had wierd screws with any of the other bases i've bought (redfields, etc.) for other guns.

That does suck. I can't believe they're not sending you two short screws.

I'll bet you have a hardware store in town... a little hole-in-the-wall kind of place, that magically seems to have that wierd part that you've spent all day looking for, and every time it happens you kick yourself for not just thinking to check there first.

Go to that hardware store. I bet they'll either have the screws you need, or they'll grind yours down to the right length for you.

uh dude,
Get yourself a pair of wire stripper pliers. They have a screw cutter that works real well for your needs. Simply cut the screws to the proper length, bevel the edge with a dremel or small grinder. TEST FIT BEFORE CONTINUING then apply a little loctite to them. Slightly rough up the top surface of the receiver, and the bottom surface of the rail, and apply a little coat of bedding compound or JB Weld to bed the rail to the receiver. Torque your screws to 15"#.

I wouldn't mind if they were within a 1/16" inch, but the front ones are almost 1/4" too long. I'll try the wire cutters.

Good call switchblade, you beat me to it. I was just fixing to say the same thing, get some wirestrippers with the screw cutters built into them. They work like a charm. That'll fix the problem and they might come in handy for something else.

I had the same problem with my USO base for a Remington short action. I just cut the bolt down with a dremel tool. Then just round the edges off of the bolt and they worked great for me.

jeez, so much for the men of America nowadays. Bitch and Whine online, don't go to the tool box to see how they can fix stuff, don't take a step back, take a good look at how the problem can be fixed...
grin.gif

When I got mine(base, screws) from John II(JBWIII's Dad) I also had to fit the screws. He was more than glad to point me in the right direction over the phone. At that time, man was I a super newb to bolt guns and scopes. Thanks to a lot of people here, and at a couple places I have shot I have a pretty good handle on things now. It helps that I also have a nice tool box full of tools, and many years wrenching, troubleshooting, and basically fucking shit up on my own
grin.gif

Better that they are too long and need trimming than too short and strip out the threads easily when tightened.
I will take a "kit" over a "guess" any day.

I actually prefer screws that are too long.....if there is such a thing.
laugh.gif

hey sod off switchblade, i live in an apartment and it's all I can do just to have rifles in there, let alone grinders! lol. at least it is mostly underground, good zombie defense, you know...

More "update"
They have had some bad times in the last few days, had a roof fall in on the shop. I got some wrong screws because of this. Contacted John and he is taking care of it for me. Don't knock these guys before you give them a few days to take care of it. I've been more than happy with the time and effort they have given me. Heck, where else can you talk to the company pres. and get the situation resolved from the top down instead of the opposite?

All,

There is one thing to always remember when dealing with gun parts. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DROP IN PART.

Too long screws give you the oportunity to custom fit the scre to your action to achieve maximum thread engagement. If you can't figure out how to trim a screw to fit.................

Just sayin.

Cheers,

Doc

Look, I get what you are saying, but I took 3/16" off.. that's a little too long even to account for bedding or variations in recievers. After a little Dremel work, I got some screws fitted. No big deal, but it would be much easier if they were 1/16" or less too long and could have been filed, rather than cut and beveled.

I'm sorry to hear that to roof fell in, but the guy on the phone pretty much said "no, it's wrong on the web, cut them off, have a nice day." He wasn't rude, but I got the feeling he thought I was wasting his time. Not earning any points with me for that one.

Look, i'm not saying it's worth sending the base back, or not buying USO stuff. I'm just disappointed in finding loose ends in a product that nice.

bcw, just jabbin ya for kicks. Remember, customized tommy tactical zombie killing shit always takes a little improvise, adapt, and overcome to fit exactly right from the end user or a good smith. Personalizing gear is something I take to heart because if it doesn't fit ME I can't use it with confidance and it needs to be adjusted. I think it's the same for everyone here.
Eat the Raman. Buy USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bcw, just jabbin ya for kicks. </div></div> yeah I know, so was I. I took your suggestion and hacked off the screws, it's good to go now. I might actually order a couple next time I get crap from brownells, just so I have some spares. I still want a USO SN3, but it's not in the cards right now so i'll have to get some medium rings and put the horus on this stick. The falcon is just too big, it will be much better on my p-dog blaster.

Brad,
Sorry for the troubles. The story is that we needed the screws for our bases, but I could only find someone that would make them for us with a quantity of 50,000, so we decided to get the 0.50" length, then cut them to length.

My problem is the I forget not everyone has a lathe in their garage that they can just jump on and cut to length.

If anyone ever needs to have these things cut, please just send me an email or PM with the lentgh I and can get some out to you.

Sorry again Brad.
John III

no worries man. I was just a little suprised because your stuff is so top notch, and it seemed like an after-thought to throw in some screws in this case. Didn't mean any bashing toward your products, the rail is great. I cut the screws off with a dremel and it's good to go. Sorry if I made it into a big deal, I was just a bit disappointed. It's not like it ruined my whole year or anything, lol. Besides, it made me actually locate all my dremel parts and organize them into one case, lol.

The height of this base will allow me to move to a lower ring, and i'm going to buy some aluminum ones to shave a little more weight there too. I have steel IOR high rings now, and they are fine, but really heavy. All in all, it worked out just fine, and should help drop some weight off "the pig".

Thanks for responding John, I'm glad to see you guys are out there listening, and I know if I had actually had an issue with the rail it would have been corrected right away. I didn't meant to imply a lack of confidence in USO products, that's not the case at all. I have a 5 gal water jug filling up with change that is going into the SN-3 fund, lol.