• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Issues (maybe)

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I'm trying to dial in a new SN3 and I'm having 2 different issues. The 1st I know is either with the scope, the instructions, or me. The 2nd may be rifle related but I'll see what you guys think...

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Issue #1</span>--After following the EREK adjustment procedures to the letter (several times), the end result is simply placing the zero on the turret knob in alignment with the hash mark on the turret. I can still adjust elevation wayyyy below zero after this procedure. Doesn't this thing act as a zero stop? It almost seems as if there is a step or 2 missing from USO's instructions.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Issue #2</span>--After zero and EREK adjustment procedure the rifle fires beautifully printing sub-moa groups. After about 60 or so rounds, POI shited almost precisely 3 inches low and 3 inches right but the groups were still tight. I shot another group to verify what I was seeing then I dialed out the POI shift just for grins. The scope tracked perfectly and the correction was accurate. Shot 2 more groups and both held the correction but something had clearly moved for this to happen in the 1st place. Everything was retorqued with lok-tite the night before and I rechecked torque on everything after the POI shift. Nothing was loose. WTF is going on here?

Re: USO Issues (maybe)

Issue 1- The Erek does not act as a zero stop. It simply repositions the erector. You should be able to get it close, but have a bit of elevation to the negative side of 0.

Issue 2-What rifle are you shooting? Could be a myriad of issues. If it is still holding tight groups it probably isn't the scope. POI can shift due to stock to action stresses, humidity (if it is a wood stock)...the list goes on. Talk to us about your setup.

Josh

You should watch these videos on the EREK. It almost sounds like you did not use the erector repositioning screw when you set it. If you just dialed elevation until you zeroed the scope and returned the "0" on the dial to the hash mark you are going to have a ton of travel below "0". You have to use the big screw in the middle of the dial to reposition the erector.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUU7iyl1aFE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUU7iyl1aFE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zyaQrQ0K8U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zyaQrQ0K8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Issue 1- The Erek does not act as a zero stop. It simply repositions the erector. You should be able to get it close, but have a bit of elevation to the negative side of 0.

Issue 2-What rifle are you shooting? Could be a myriad of issues. If it is still holding tight groups it probably isn't the scope. POI can shift due to stock to action stresses, humidity (if it is a wood stock)...the list goes on. Talk to us about your setup.

Josh </div></div>

Rifle is a JAE-stocked Springfield NM M1A. Sadlak scope mount with Leupold rings. All stock and mount torques checked and double-checked and this didn't eliminate the POI shift.

You most likely will NOT be able to use it as a zero stop because the rail doesn't have 20 MOA built into it.

It you zero it and send it in, we can install a true zero stop if you like.
    John III

If you have another rifle you might want to experiment to see if the scope repeats the POI shift to confirm. However, I doubt it is the scope because you are continuing to get tight groups following the POI shift. It is more likely the rifle due to heating and components beginning touch in ways they didn't when you started shooting.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should watch these videos on the EREK. It almost sounds like you did not use the erector repositioning screw when you set it. If you just dialed elevation until you zeroed the scope and returned the "0" on the dial to the hash mark you are going to have a ton of travel below "0". You have to use the big screw in the middle of the dial to reposition the erector.</div></div>

These are the procedures I followed straight from USO and they do not match the video...

1. Back out the allen til it stops while holding the knob
    2. Turn knob CCW until it stops
    3. Screw in allen until reticle slightly moves
    4. Turn knob back to original zero
    5-6-7 Remove 2 small allens to reposition the knob to zero

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You most likely will NOT be able to use it as a zero stop because the rail doesn't have 20 MOA built into it.

It you zero it and send it in, we can install a true zero stop if you like.
    John III </div></div>

I may take you up on this but I'm undecided whether or not I'll keep it on this rifle or put it on my DPMS SASS. If I switch it to the SASS I'll possibly use a Larue QD mount and if they make one with 20 degree down I won't need the stop. I may mount it on the SASS with some USO rings and take it out again tomorrow.

I have an ST-10. Follow the video instructions and you will be fine. That should at least eliminate the travel below "0". POI will have to be addressed later.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an ST-10. Follow the video instructions and you will be fine. That should at least eliminate the travel below "0". POI will have to be addressed later.

Josh </div></div>

According to JB it appears it wont work as a stop if the rail isn't canted. I believe the Sadlak mount is level which would explain the excess travel below zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an ST-10. Follow the video instructions and you will be fine. That should at least eliminate the travel below "0". POI will have to be addressed later.

Josh </div></div>

According to JB it appears it wont work as a stop if the rail isn't canted. I believe the Sadlak mount is level which would explain the excess travel below zero. </div></div>

True, but you should be able to get a little more travel out of it if you use the EREK knob as demonstrated in the video.

Josh

I think I'm going to try it on another rifle just to be sure. I'm not that concerned about the zero stop since there's a solution to that and am more concerned with the POI shift. I may even throw my Lupy on the suspect rig to see if I get the same results.

This was the target board before the POI shift. All 5 shot strings except the top right which was 8 rounds...

282-7-17-range.jpg

Sounds like it is defective. The following was posted by a shooter on another local (to me) forum. I would send it back and let them take a look at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first shot is 1mil right, I shoot again and still 1mil right. I'm scratching my head and dial 1mil left, I shoot and it's centered (all good I'm thinking), I shoot again and it shifts 1mil left (now I'm really scratching my head), I dial 1mil right and the shot is centered, then next shot is 1mil right. I go back and forth a couple more times and I shoot another rifle (just to make sure it's not me). What I end up with is a "group" that is about 1" high by 7" wide, with three distinct groups: one on the left, one centered and one on the right.

By now I'm pretty ticked off. I pack my stuff and spend 3hrs on I-5 to drive down to USO. When I get there, initially they were rather skeptical of my story. They first said it was me, my load, then they said I had put 34mm rings on a 35mm scope! At that point, I'm moving from being ticked to pissed... and I pull from my back pocket my target.......showing my magnificent 1"x7" group. All discussion stops. The Ops Mgr (can't recall his name but he's in the videos) says "Oh, can you leave the scope with us."

3-4 weeks later I get the scope back with no explanation/no paperwork, NOTHING. I call USO and ask what happened and they don't say. All I know is the windage turret assembly anodizing no longer matches the rest of the scope. No problems anymore. So, turned out well.</div></div>

Mine is not dancing around like that example. It shot very consistent all day. Its going on a different stick before I say its the scope. It happened after several targets that were fairly rapid-fire so it may be a heat issue.

its no good. send it to me I will live with it.

Seriously. I had a similar issue when I was getting my 5-25 tpal set up. I was reading the instructions and it did not work like I thought it should. I called becky twice from the range and figured out that I was skipping step 2 for some reason. I started over and read ALL the instructions and it worked perfectly and my erek is pretty much bottomed out at my 100 yd zero or I can maybe go 2 clicks past it. I do have a 20 moa base also.

The way the instructions were typed they were double spaced between each instruction all except number 2 which was tied in with the first step. I just got too excited and retardation kicked in. Becky calmed me down a bit and all was well. Im sure she thought I was a real genius but she was nice and no one sent me an application for the special olympics.

I have not experienced any poi shift so that issue I cant speak to but I can assure you that if there is anything at all wrong with the scope JBWIII will make it more than right. I would be for sending it to him or even sending the whole rifle in. I bet it would come back dialed in.

I think I moved my elevation 1 click and my windage maybe 2 clicks when I got the scope out of the box to zero it at 100y. It was damn close from USO until I fouled everything up trying to adjust the erek while skipping steps.

Well I zeroed it to the SASS today with a 20 MOA Nightforce base. EREK adjusted perfectly bottoming the knob .5 mil below my 100yd zero. Ran 100 rounds through it and I don't think its the scope. Shot like a laser. I think the POI shifts when mounted to the M1A were likely just a combination of mirage and my aging eyesight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I zeroed it to the SASS today with a 20 MOA Nightforce base. EREK adjusted perfectly bottoming the knob .5 mil below my 100yd zero. Ran 100 rounds through it and I don't think its the scope. Shot like a laser. I think the POI shifts when mounted to the M1A were likely just a combination of mirage and my aging eyesight. </div></div>

Glad you got everything worked out and it wasn't the scope. USO makes an outstanding product and would have no doubt stood behind it 100% if something had been wrong. Just remember...aging eyesight is better than no eyesight.

Josh