• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes uso Mil-Scale GAP vs Mil-Scale MPR

hk9176251

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
lewiston ny
any one have experience with the Reticles listed above i am getting set to order a us optics sn-3 T-PAL and would like to hear the pro's and con's comparing each thanks!

Re: uso Mil-Scale GAP vs Mil-Scale MPR

The MPR is a finer reticle with finer breakdowns of the mil....
Some say its "too busy" for their taste, but most of them haven't spent any time with one.

2/3 of my scope are USO MPR's. I wish it were 3/3......

No MPR experience, but I've had numerous GAP reticles and they are one of my favorites. Its not busy, easy to use, and very visible at lower magnifications.

I tend to think that .5 mil graduations on a FFP is just about perfect. More is too busy at lower powers, less is not precise enough at higher powers.

Love my GAP reticle in my 3.2-17x SN-3. I have no problem breaking Mils down to .05 with it.

I though IT would be too busy when I first saw it, but it works fine for everything I do.

Between the two, the MPR gets my vote. It seems "busy" at first glance but the finer graduations really pays off when shooting holdovers only and for ranging. My ONLY minor peeve is I wish the center line weight was a bit thinner (only matters for paper).

I have MPR, its exactly everything I was wishing for, as I find it hard to be precise with 0.2mil~0.4mil, and 0.6mil~0.8mil. But if you don't have the same issue as I have, GAP reticle will work fine for you.

the only difference that I know if is the MPR has added a .2 mark.
looks like a .25 mark but not. So what you end up getting is a .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7, .8 and 1.0 mil intervals to mill out a target... just handy as hell.

I have the GAP reticle, and I can't see the need for finer gradations between the lines. I can mil objects perfectly with the half mil increments. I would highly recommend one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my GAP reticle in my 3.2-17x SN-3. I have no problem breaking Mils down to .05 with it.

I though IT would be too busy when I first saw it, but it works fine for everything I do. </div></div>

I hope with more practice, I could do better with finer measurements using reticle, but 0.05mil is really impressive.

thanks for the quik response one more ? are the lines finer on the mpr than gap if so i think im going mpr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the GAP reticle, and I can't see the need for finer gradations between the lines. I can mil objects perfectly with the half mil increments. I would highly recommend one.</div></div>

+1 The GAP has been great for me too

Both are .1 mil wide on the lines per the specs on USO's site, but objectively I think the MPR's seem thiiner that the GAP, but that could be my eyes playing tricks on me.......

I wouldn't be bummed if I had a GAP, its my second favorite USO mil reticle!

MPR is only busy until you use it. Once you learn the reticle it is nice to have finer milling. I like the GAP reticle too though, could seriously give me one or the other and I would be equally happy.

How about finer milling at 12 and 3 (borrowed from Canadian) added to GAP? I don't believe in Horus type "hold-over only" but each to their own...

(and while I'm at it, a raised reticle would be nice)

i like the mpr seems finer lines to me.

The nice thing about the MPR is that if you do any type of holdovers or wind holds, it will really come in handy. It's not too busy in my opinion and its real easy to frame targets with. That being said, the GAP is my second choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I was wondering when you would show up!
Meet the creator gentlemen.
John III</div></div>

laugh.gif

I've got 5 with the GAP reticle and will order more. You can do no harm standardizing on either one since you are starting out from scratch - but the key to my statement is - STANDARDIZE.

Go ahead and stick your toe in the mil/mil USO waters. If you like it, then stick with the one brand and the one reticle. I have them in the 3.2-17 and the fixed 10. The JNP (I think that is what it is called) in the 1.5-6 is the same reticle with a circle around it. Got one of those also.

I'd also recommend you standardize right up front with mil/mil knobs with an EREK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hijack but can the MPR be installed to a S&B? </div></div>

Sorry, no can do, totally different ball game. I wish it was that easy!
John III