• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USO optic question

chad cochran

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia
I have a USO SN 3 1.8x10 on a GAP 308 rifle. I had the rifle built with a GAP hunter action with a Badger M4 floorplate per my personal preference. However, the wind age knob on the USO sticks out over the action making it difficult to load. USO can put the wind age knob on the left side so my question is- has anyone done this and what are the pro/cons of placing the knob on the left side? The scope has a T-pal (on the left front) and illumination on the right front. Are there any options I am not considering? Thanks

Re: USO optic question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a USO SN 3 1.8x10 on a GAP 308 rifle. I had the rifle built with a GAP hunter action with a Badger M4 floorplate per my personal preference. However, the wind age knob on the USO sticks out over the action making it difficult to load. USO can put the wind age knob on the left side so my question is- has anyone done this and what are the pro/cons of placing the knob on the left side? The scope has a T-pal (on the left front) and illumination on the right front. Are there any options I am not considering? Thanks </div></div>
In 2007 I had USO build me a 3.2-17X44mm ERGO Lo Profile with LH Windage. I'm right-handed (and shoot RH rifles), and I loved the LH Windage because I could keep my hand on the grip and adjust the Windage with my left hand. Obviously, this doesn't work when shooting unsupported because you have to support the forearm with your left hand. If you're a right-hander shooting right-handed and you'll be shooting offhand a lot you might want to keep the Windage on the RH side so you can support the rifle with your left hand while dialing Windage with your right hand.

If you'll be shooting supported all the time the only caveat I see with a T-PAL with LH Windage is that a LH Windage Knob means that the Parallax and Windage Knobs are very close together. Depending upon how you like to grip the Parallax Knob while turning it, you may need to change the way you hold the Parallax Knob. I like to place my index and middle fingers at 9:00 with my thumb at 3:00. T-PAL Parallax Knobs are placed in the front, so on a T-PAL with LH Parallax and Windage my usual finger locations wouldn't be possible. I'd have to switch to 12:00 and 6:00 to clear the Windage Knob. Hope this helps.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a USO SN 3 1.8x10 on a GAP 308 rifle. I had the rifle built with a GAP hunter action with a Badger M4 floorplate per my personal preference. However, the wind age knob on the USO sticks out over the action making it difficult to load. USO can put the wind age knob on the left side so my question is- has anyone done this and what are the pro/cons of placing the knob on the left side? The scope has a T-pal (on the left front) and illumination on the right front. Are there any options I am not considering? Thanks </div></div>

I wish I would have done it for the USO I have for my 7WSM

Aries64- thanks for the input. This is my first LR rifle and have not developed any habits, so using 12 and 6 should not be to difficult to employ. Did you have any issues carring the rifle on a sling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries64- thanks for the input. This is my first LR rifle and have not developed any habits, so using 12 and 6 should not be to difficult to employ. Did you have any issues carring the rifle on a sling? </div></div>
Nope. The rifle the USO was mounted on was an FN A3G with only the sling studs on it (so no knobs or turrets digging-in anywhere). A T-PAL with LH Windage isn't any more uncomfortable than carrying any other side-parallax scope.

Keith

Aries64 pretty much covered it. I have a left hand setup on my USO and love it. I shoot mostly from a bipod and if I'm shooting off hand I just use hold overs. I have the US #1 M40 knob and it doesn't stick out a whole lot. I think the #3 sticks out a little more.