• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Options and Opinions for bolt action .308

Coopers7777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
I'm putting together my first long range rifle. Ive decided to run with .308 caliber as I think it will be the best platform for me to learn with and master the basics while maintaining affordable and easily available ammo. I'm also limited to 1,000 yards and below at most all of the places I'm able to shoot locally and this optic will (initially anyway) be mounted on a Sako TRG-22, shot primarily from a rest of some sort.

That said, I'm leaning towards the USO SN-3 1.8-10x. I feel this will offer me a good platform to learn on, as well as offering something that I can easily use on other rifles down the road if I decide I need something with more magnification.

Here are the options I'm interested in:
T-Pal
Illuminated
EREK Elevation Knob
US #3 Windage Knob
MPR Mil Scale

I'm planning on mounting this in a SPUHR TRG Mount.

I'm looking for any comments, concerns or suggestions before I pull the trigger and order this scope. Ive already spoke with John at USO, who was great to deal with and has helped me in the right direction. I'm just looking to seal up any loose ends before I take the plunge.

Is there anything you would recommend changing, or adding? Anything else I should look at as far as offerings from USO?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Coop

Re: USO Options and Opinions for bolt action .308

I would think that the 3.2-17 would be a better fit, especially if you plan on running it out to 1,000. Plus it drops down to 3.2 for close in and moving targets.
I recently purchased a 5-25 t-pal. Mine was spec'd as a 35mm, RDP-mil reticle, erek 110 elevation. zero stop #3 windage with blue illumination.
If you want it illuminated I highly recommened the blue. The RDP also allows for very precise shots as the center reticle is extremely fine. Look up Lazy21 here on the hide, he will hook you up with a great deal on USO

Hey Cooper, good early post.

I can tell you've read up a bit and/or have been taught some things.

In fact, it looks a lot like my early post about my initial rig.

I bought the exact USO you are talking about and it is fantastic, but to be totally honest I'm saving for a 17x.

Look, you're not going to be disappointed I'm not, but I find myself wishing I had the extra magnification. I'll always have my SN3 10x, but it'll be on a different rifle after I order my 17x.

Ino should sell his to the op, or give it to me

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

To further on my thought process with the 1.8-10x; I have it in my head that somewhere down the line an AR10 (likely the KA or LWRCI variant) will live amongst my stash, and that this optic would be great for that...that said, perhaps my thinking is a bit backwards in that I should get whats best suited for the TRG, now, and worry about the future later.

Thanks for the tip towards Lazy21 also, I will contact him. Do you know if he is able to order exactly to spec?

Lol wow deja vu! The 1.8-10 was my first scope on my .308. It did get me to 1000, but I did eventually lust for a lil bit more magnification and picked up a used 3.2-17. I still have both scopes and the 1.8-10 now calls my mk.12 home.
I don't think you can go wrong with your choice, but if I had things to do over again I would start with the 3.2-17 then when and if you get an ar-10 you can get a 1.8-10.

Good luck and welcome to the Hide.

AS

I have both a USO 1.8-10x as well as 3.2-17x. I use my 1.8-10x for my GAP-10, and my 3.2-17x for my bolt-actions. I think the 3.2-17x44 is the near perfect scope for 308win bolt-action platform for 25 to 1000 yards. There is a 37mm objective one that is lower profile, but eye relief is less forgiving.

MPR is a great mil-based reticle and allows me to mil more precisely than other reticles without getting confused. Recommend an internal level. Illumination color is personal preference but red is most common. Consider a windage knob cover is you hold wind calls, but dial elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ino should sell his to the op, or give it to me </div></div>

Nope, the 1.8-10 is gonna go in the EBR mod 0.
and its mil-mil, vjj, I know you don't swing that way.

My TRG-22 sports the 3.2x17 MPR and I dont think I could be hired to change it.
softballvacguns039.jpg

Definitely go with the 3.2-17X and deal with your future needs later. Also agree getting the internal level is a plus as it will be needed for accurate LR shots. Now get out there and start practicing !!!

I would go with the 3.2-17X. I had a Bushnell elite 3-12x on my Rem 700 and it left me wanting more magnification. I recently upgraded to the USO 3.2-17x and couldn't be happier.

3.2-17x it is, talking with Lazy21 now regarding my order! Any other input on reticle?

Ive decided to go with MIL so Ill be running the EREK 110 knob, and the #3 1/10MIL Windage stop, any preference for right/left side knob? Standard tube OK?

i love my RDP mil reticle. i went with a 35mm tube, on my 5-25 but that may be overkill. there's more mounting options for the 30 and 34. i would stick with the standard right side windage.
Lazy will certainly hook you up

My now favorite reticle is the genII XR and I would the 34mm tube

I hardly touch my windage knob with that reticle after it is zeroed. It is just easier to hold off with my .260 as 5mil takes me out to past 800 in a 20mph full value cross wind. Also, I do not use the illumination enough to warrant the expense or the spot it occupies on the right side of the scope (I am righthanded), but if you do plan to hunt with the rifle, the 5X with the reticle illuminated is hard to beat under 100 yards when it is real dark.

Gruff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CooperS7777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.2-17x it is, talking with Lazy21 now regarding my order! Any other input on reticle?

Ive decided to go with MIL so Ill be running the EREK 110 knob, and the #3 1/10MIL Windage stop, any preference for right/left side knob? Standard tube OK? </div></div>

30mm tube will get you to 1k with your 308. If you dont dial windage then you should ditch the US#3 and get a US#1 with a cover. You cant cover the US#3.
Get windage and rheostat on the right and Parallax knob on the left. Assuming you are shooting right handed, you will be able to see and adjust parallax without coming off the rifle.

I would agree with the 3.2-17. I have one w/ Ergo and Erek/ #3 wind age knob on my 700 w/ MPR reticle and 30mm tube. I also have a 3.2-17 TPAL EREK w/ #3 wind age knob mounted left side for my OBR. I like the TPAL better for ease of reach, but I guess the ultra long range guys give an edge to the Ergo adjustment. I haven't shot either out past 800 yards yet so have to base it on the convenience and ease of reach of the TPAL. I had a 1.8-10 before and while it's a great scope, I like the 3.2-17's better on my 7.62 guns. The company is great and optics quality is top notch in either tube diameter. Good luck.

I run 3.8-22's but 3.2-17 is a great in between. I usually shoot steel at around 16-17, but like 22 for paper.
I love the MPR since most of my shooting is practical, but would do a finer retical if I shot paper mainly.
I agree with the #1 over #3 windage because they can be capped and forgotten. I have #3's on all mine, but always hold wind. I'd like caps because of that.

Well, I just bit the bullet and placed the order with Lazy!

Here are the specs I settled on:

SN-3 3.2-17x TPAL
Color
1 x Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
Objective
1 x 44mm
Knob Elevation
1 x EREK 1/10 MIL 110 Click
Knob Windage
1 x US#1 1/10 MIL (RIGHT)
Tube
1 x 34mm
Parallax Control
1 x T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
Reticle Lighting
1 x Digital Push Button (Red)
Reticle
1 x Mil-Scale MPR
Eyepiece Housing
1 x Lo Profile - Rapid Focus - INTERNAL LEVEL

Decided on the MPR reticle and the US#1 windage knob. I know myself too well, and if theres something there for me to play with, I will. Id rather set windage, forget and and focus on the fundamentals.

Congrats. I think this will be the perfect scope for what you wanted. You will love it. Good Luck. Hope it doesn't take too long to build.