• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USO or IOR

Re: USO or IOR

IOR for me. I owned an sn3 a while back and now have an IOR second focal plane. I'd like the first focal plane version but other than that I think this glass is a bit clearer and I LOVE the mp8 reticle.

I don't think they are in the same class. I owned an IOR. Customer service sucked....at that time. Paint chips flaked off from the inside of the tube and stuck on my glass...had to send it in. Have you ever heard of paint flaking off the inside of anyone else's scope? I'm not the only one this happened too. With problems like that, I just can't trust the turret repeatability. USO or IOR? Not in the same class. To be fair, they are not in the same price point either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swamper loves his IORs.... </div></div>

heheheheheheheheh.....

I prefer USO. IOR's glass is excellent. In the optics end of things as elsewhere in life, nothing's perfect. USO is easier and more thorough on CS (direct w/manufacturer).
Scott at LO took great care of me with the one problem I had with an IOR and he's the only one I'd buy IOR stuff from in the future.

Plus I like saying what a great guy Scott is especially if Swamper happens to stroll in on this thread (like he does every time anyone asks about IOR).

Scooter-USO gets dust and crap inside every once in a while. That's why their faq tells how to deal with it (rubber mallet or 4x4 drive).

Only had one IOR (it was the QR-TS 3 x 25).

Pretty dreadful and when it broke the CS was non-existent!

I've been waiting on a USO MST100 for months so I'm not sure how much better their CS maybe.

For TPAL money you've got to be knocking on the door of a Schmidt and Bender........

I actually have both on rigs right now. A -17x USO and a -18x IOR. I am happy with both.

I prefer the SH mP-8 reticle of the IOR to the GAP in the USO.

Neither has given me any problems, both function great and have a great image of target. Both are FFP.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the USO. The reason is that it inspires more confidence. It is built like a tank. That and I like the illum. on the USO.

But, as said, they really are two different beasts at very different price points.

Both great scopes, both well made. If one wanted to spend $1500 on a scope, I would say the IOR SH edition, If one wanted to spend $2500, I would say the USO.

USO, you can configure it any way you want, phenomenal customer service and great product. When it comes right down to it, what is there not to like? Not being an operator I can't draw the same conclusions as some, but if any scope functions as it should, I don't see anything else out there that has a large enough advantage for me to want to get rid of my USO's.

Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif

If you are chosing between those 2 then i would highly recommend USO!!

Is that a real question?

If you've got the money, USO, no question. That being said, I have no complaints about my 2 IORs.

Footnote: I wish I could put the SH MP-8 in every scope I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Rob, you have to actually use the scope for it to break
wink.gif

I deleted my post that you quoted because I didn't want this thread to turn into a pissing match. You are right everyone has their opinions. Having owned 5 or 6 USOs and now 2 F1s I was just giving mine. I find the F1 to be a superior scope but again that is my opinion from my expieriences.

ETA: I guess the person who I was speaking to deleted his posts too.

And Dark Horse, not sure what you mean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a real question?

If you've got the money, USO, no question. That being said, I have no complaints about my 2 IORs.

Footnote: I wish I could put the SH MP-8 in every scope I own. </div></div>

I agree, +1 for USO.

But if IOR had an illuminated model of the SH 3-18 scope I would definitely try at least one.

I've got an older IOR 4-14A0 Mil/Mil FFP that is a great scope. The clarity is as good as any and the adjustments are spot on. It is a big heavy scope though. I shoot with several guys who have S&B and USO. They are defenitely the coolest looking scopes with the most options. THEN, I tried Nightforce. Doesn't have single turn turrets, doesn't come in colors, doesn't have a bunch of options to make it a custom scope. BUT, it is the clearest, most repeatable scope I've ever used. 1/2 the money and best quality from my experience. To answer the OP, I'd go with IOR because of the price difference. Similar quality, except IOR glass is better IMO.

I went USO due to the fact that they'll build what you want into a scope.. Not have you work around what they offer.
The videos of dudes throwing their scopes off a balcony onto the packed dirt and shooting groups, shows it's not a girly-boy piece of gear.

MIL / MIL with EREK knob and #3 M40 style knobs... Good to go.

Rob, I was busting your balls on the customer service comment, meaning you don't use the scope enough for it to break, thereofore not needing to utilize customer service. By the way I will PM you later on the M14.

I've got both. First USO I got had a few problems, bad objective lens, parallex was off and a loose spring. Took them a total of six weeks to repair it and I only live 50 miles away. My IOR 6-24 had a focusing problem after a year on my 260 Rem. Sent it in and I had a new scope in hand in 10 days. I think the optics on the IOR is a bit superior to the USO and I really like the MP8 reticle. That said if I had to choose I would take the USO mainly because you can customize it and their shop is nearby. The EREK elevation knob is the best on the market. Just feel their QC could use a little upgrade. Also have the IOR SH scope which is still working great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got both. First USO I got had a few problems, bad objective lens, parallex was off and a loose spring. Took them a total of six weeks to repair it and I only live 50 miles away. My IOR 6-24 had a focusing problem after a year on my 260 Rem. Sent it in and I had a new scope in hand in 10 days. I think the optics on the IOR is a bit superior to the USO and I really like the MP8 reticle. That said if I had to choose I would take the USO mainly because you can customize it and their shop is nearby. The EREK elevation knob is the best on the market. Just feel their QC could use a little upgrade. Also have the IOR SH scope which is still working great. </div></div>

So the IOR issue you had issues with...did you deal with IOR's CS or your dealer to receive a new scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went USO due to the fact that they'll build what you want into a scope.. Not have you work around what they offer.
The videos of dudes throwing their scopes off a balcony onto the packed dirt and shooting groups, shows it's not a girly-boy piece of gear.

MIL / MIL with EREK knob and #3 M40 style knobs... Good to go. </div></div>

Those are the same knobs I went with, I would recommend them also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is a point worth making - and repeating often!

Between the 2, I prefer USO. There are few companies where I can call and talk with the owner. Then again, there are few companies where I can call their Customer Service and talk to an answering machine, so both stand out, USO and IOR, in polar opposite ways.

I've owned an SN-3 for about five years now. Never had the slightest problem with it. Sent it in for a reticle swap and had the best customer service experience ever.

In the same time period I've returned three IORs for repair/replacement. The most recent one has been gone for a couple months now.

wink.gif
</div></div>
+100!
Sold my IOR's and I'm a happy Nightforce owner. I like the idea of a completely reliable/repeatable turrets with good glass at a fair price....and one that I never have to send in for service. Some folks like the custom options of USO. But, to me that just means lower quality control. It's way easier to control quality when you crank out the same widget time after time. Nightforce all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>
+100!
Sold my IOR's and I'm a happy Nightforce owner. I like the idea of a completely reliable/repeatable turrets with good glass at a fair price....and one that I never have to send in for service. Some folks like the custom options of USO. But, to me that just means lower quality control. It's way easier to control quality when you crank out the same widget time after time. Nightforce all the way.</div></div>

Have you ever owned a USO?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>
+100!
Sold my IOR's and I'm a happy Nightforce owner. I like the idea of a completely reliable/repeatable turrets with good glass at a fair price....and one that I never have to send in for service. Some folks like the custom options of USO. But, to me that just means lower quality control. It's way easier to control quality when you crank out the same widget time after time. Nightforce all the way. </div></div>

Yeah because everyone knows quality control is better with mass production.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>
+100!
Sold my IOR's and I'm a happy Nightforce owner. I like the idea of a completely reliable/repeatable turrets with good glass at a fair price....and one that I never have to send in for service. Some folks like the custom options of USO. But, to me that just means lower quality control. It's way easier to control quality when you crank out the same widget time after time. Nightforce all the way.</div></div>

Have you ever owned a USO? </div></div>

Doubt it!

This is like arguing Ford/Chevy/Dodge..
all have there strengths/weaknesses...
each has their "till the death loyal followers"....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it.
wink.gif
</div></div>
+100!

Have you ever owned a USO? </div></div>

Doubt it! </div></div>

I have and still do, and pretty much feel the same way.

NightForce seem to be the best scopes I've gotten for the money spent.

My USO scopes are very good, but were not cheap. They look like you could drive over them with a truck, then drive a few nails with them, mount 'em and shoot.

Based on the only two IOR scopes I've used, I think USO is the way to go if you really use your scopes.

If you only punch paper get a NightForce BR, or if you need to look cool while doing it, then get a NightForce NXS.

But if you really need a scope to work with, I'd suggest USO (or NF NXS).

RM, my comment was directed towards Scotter-PIE and his theory of more options means lower quality control or some bullshit like that.

"Nightforce. I like having great customer service but like not having to use it."

That being said, my F1's zero stop was DOA. They did take care of me. They are all mechancial. They will break, they will loose there zero (happened with me at RO). Find what works and work it to death.

Didn't say they couldn't break but compared my experiences with all my USOs you will need the great customer service less.

Or you could have my experience with Nightforce and need to send 2 out of 3 back and need to use their customer service. Which is good. They turned around my stuff in about a week and a half and I had no problems. Really smooth.

I considered 4-28x56 IOR a few weeks ago however after some consideration i decided i dont want my Tikka to be Hubble class warship so i've decided on 3-18x42SH IOR but if i had the money and were in US i'd probably go USO path... With IOR its a gamble i think i really hope i'll win the lottery
smile.gif

Never used IOR,But i can not say enough good things about my USO.I love it.

I have a 3-18x42 SH IOR and I can tell you the glass is really clear. But, if I had the $2500 to get a USO I would have hesitated to get the USO. Comparable glass but from what I have read and seen the customer service with the USO is far superior to the IOR.
I like my IOR but I would put it more in the class of a MK4 Leupold (I have 4) and a Nightforce. USO, Schmidt and Bender, Premier, just another level of optics that few can afford. IMHO of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you could have my experience with Nightforce and need to send 2 out of 3 back and need to use their customer service. Which is good. They turned around my stuff in about a week and a half and I had no problems. Really smooth.</div></div>

Better than 4 out of 5. What was the problems you sent the NF back for? My USOs were all tracking problems and I didn't waste the time to send two back. I just sold them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you could have my experience with Nightforce and need to send 2 out of 3 back and need to use their customer service. Which is good. They turned around my stuff in about a week and a half and I had no problems. Really smooth.</div></div>

Better than 4 out of 5. What was the problems you sent the NF back for? My USOs were all tracking problems and I didn't waste the time to send two back. I just sold them.</div></div>

LOL I guess 4/5 is a worse ratio than 2/3. I also had tracking issues with mine. Like I said, not a biggie, they took them back, repaired them and had them back to me in a week and a half. Then I sold them and used the money to some maint on the house. Don't get me wrong, the NF scopes were awesome before they broke, but aren't all scopes? lol Great glass, great tracking(before and after the maint), and awesome customer service.
Ordered a USO two months ago after using a buddy's for a few months. Loved the TPAL with the EREK ontop so much I ordered one lol. FWIW, I know you had your issues with USO, but he has had none with his 4.

And I would recommend NF to anyone that asked me if they should get one. I just prefer USOs...at the moment.

Atleast yours were fixed.
wink.gif

Has your friend run tracking tests on his scopes? I do it with all new scopes no matter what brand up to 10 mils(every mil) or 40 MOA(every 5 MOA), as a scope that doesn't track right is useless to me.

He says he does a really extensive box test on all of his scopes from the Burris he has on his .17hmr to the S&B he has on his .300RUM. He's a bastard with a lot of money and thinks that you should spend on your optics based on the round you're shooting.

I have the SN-3 and the SN-3 T-PAL no other scope manufacturer offers the options and reticles that uso does they also have excellent customer service

Between those two USO, the IORs I've witnessed are garbage. Might want to broaden your options... NF is proven and cheaper than USO. However, US Optics can be had anyway you want them and they're customer service is bar none. Look at all your options.

I recently got an SH IOR 3-18x42 through Liberty with some hesitation, due to prior breakage reports--and only because Scott guaranteed it if it broke. Plus, they're supposed to be Gen4 now. In my case, the IOR was already at the upper limit of my budget, so any scope in the class of a USO was never an option.

That said, the SH IOR is really a fine scope, beautiful picture, clear reticle, nice chunky dials, mil/mil, FFP. I'm very very happy with it. It's really a joy to finally be able to dial in mil/mil with a clear reticle like that. And with low rings, which I like, there's plenty of clearance.

If I had the money, I probably would have steered toward USO, Premier, Hensoldt. Since I didn't, the IOR filled the niche with the right combo of specs in that price range.

Nik