• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO rings question

Boosted2.0

Private
Minuteman
Just curious how the people that have USO mounting rings like them. I ordered some to go with my SN3 without really thinking about it (pretty much assumed that they would be good stuff if they came from USO).

But since then I have read a bunch of posts, and talked to a lot of folks, and I hear a lot about Badger rings and a few other brands but not much about USO, so I figured I would ask.

Assuming they are good stuff order remains unchanged. If not, well I have about 3 weeks till it ships.

Thanks for your time!

Re: USO rings question

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say US Optics rings are gonna be as good as they get.

The rings are fine. The only +/- is that they are windage adjustable.

I used them and never had a problem.

I ditched mine. They left marks on the scope and put pressure on the scope that caused distortion. For the price there are better options in my opinion.

I use them exclusively, love the windage adjustability. I've yet to have to travel more than 1/2 a mil away from mechanical zero when zeroing a scope for windage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ditched mine. They left marks on the scope and put pressure on the scope that caused distortion. For the price there are better options in my opinion. </div></div>

I would be interested to see how you mounted them and what you torqued them to... I have never seen this when using the proper mounting procedure.

They are high quality machined parts and if uaed properly will not harm anything with your optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ditched mine. They left marks on the scope and put pressure on the scope that caused distortion. For the price there are better options in my opinion.</div></div>

Funny........I bet you didn't torque them and now you just want to point your finger at someone. There's also better options/skilled people out there to mount a scope in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are high quality machined parts and if uaed properly will not harm anything with your optic. </div></div>

This is what I was getting at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ditched mine. They left marks on the scope and put pressure on the scope that caused distortion. For the price there are better options in my opinion.</div></div>

Funny........I bet you didn't torque them and now you just want to point your finger at someone. There's also better options/skilled people out there to mount a scope. </div></div>

Lazy21, I think the key to his problem may be in his SH Handle. ; )

Yes, I'm not an expert, that's why I let the guys at USO install them for me since I wasn't about to mess with it.

I kept noticing distortion at the range so later I went to a friend who has a Kokopelli ring accurizing kit. The rings weren't aligned and the marks were already on the scope so I didn't want to bother with them anymore. It was easier to get solid based rings, lap them and be done with it.

On the particular set of rings I got, one ring's base (where it meets with the top clamp) was about 1/16" inch higher than the other ring so they obviously weren't matched.

Scope.jpg

The gap between the top clamp and base on each ring was even side to side, you can easily see the front has a larger gap than the rear.

I know you guys love USO and you'll berate and belittle me because of what I'm saying and it makes you feel like bigger men, but that was my experience with their rings. For $280 I expected a bit more I guess.

As for their scopes, I love them.

Hey Guys,
Besides our regular windage adjustable rings we also offer some other types of rings without the windage adjustability.

We have a number of these Titanium rings that we will be offering until they are sold out. These rings are really nice, but cost way too much to manufacture, hence the limited availability.

These rings are 0.960" in height, the weight for the set is 6.6 oz, all sets are serialized, use six 8-40 torx head screws for the top clamp, the bolt for the side clamp is machined directly from the billet of Ti, and the nut is machined from 18-8 stainless.

Here are some pictures;
395893204.jpg

395893201.jpg

395893199.jpg

The retail price for these are $300 for the set.
Thanks,
John III

WOW. Those look like they could be run over by a tank and the tank would be broken. Very nice JBW#3. Too bad they aren't taller...

Sounds like its worth sticking with the USO rings. Thanks for all the replies!

No Expert - it may be just the picture, but it looks like the scope is pushed pretty far back into those USO rings - like the taper up to the front might have been keeping it from closing all the way.

Anyhow, time for me to start looking for someone in the Houston area qualified to mount it or a good DIY guide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX_M10BA_Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like its worth sticking with the USO rings.

No Expert - it may be just the picture, but it looks like the scope is pushed pretty far back into those rings - like the taper up to the front might have been keeping it from closing all the way.

Anyhow, time for me to start looking for someone in the Houston area qualified to mount it or a good DIY guide. </div></div>

USO has a video where Arnold mounts and boresights. Check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX_M10BA_Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like its worth sticking with the USO rings.

No Expert - it may be just the picture, but it looks like the scope is pushed pretty far back into those rings - like the taper up to the front might have been keeping it from closing all the way.

Anyhow, time for me to start looking for someone in the Houston area qualified to mount it or a good DIY guide. </div></div>

USO has a video where Arnold mounts and boresights. Check it out. </div></div>

Will do. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX_M10BA_Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Expert - it may be just the picture, but it looks like the scope is pushed pretty far back into those USO rings - like the taper up to the front might have been keeping it from closing all the way.</div></div>

Looks like it but not the case. When I took the rings off and put them side by side a blind person could see it.