• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO, S&B, NIGHTFORCE

Re: USO, S&B, NIGHTFORCE

Offhand I would say take the cap lock off and provide a bit more info as to what your wants/ needs are as well as budget if that's a concern.

It sounds like you want someone else to make your mind up , go with what ever flicks your switches providing you know and understand how a scope works and what specific job that scope will be employed to do .

if at all possible go to the range and use them.
ask others I have never gotten anything but good advise and demonstrations from other shooters

my opinion

#1 S&B but asny repair issues and your across the pond
#2 USO / Premier there the same to me have both
#3 nightforce

Bill

IMHO
S&B due to there glass, quailitiy,
Nightfoce, NF is a great value, good glass, dependable, repeatable
USO, I have never been impressed with there glass, what impresses me is there is you can get exactly whatever your wallet wants

S&B has excellent glass but it is also about $1000 more than a Nightforce F1, which has great glass also and comes with rings. Both are great scopes and track perfectly, tough and well tested in military and civilian hands. I would take either over a USO.

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS SO FAR. MY APPLICATION IS FOR HUNTING BIG GAME AND LONG DISTANCE. 1000 YARDS OR MORE IS THE GOAL. AND FOR RINGING STEEL. REALLY THINK THE NF WOULD PROBABLY SUFFICE BUT I WANT THE BEST.

I have 3 USOs and couldn't be happier. For a hunting scope, I can't imagine a more rugged scope that can take everything you'll put it through.

PLEASE TAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK. IT'S ANNOYING TO READ.

For me, the difference between the glass quality between USO, premier, and S&B is negligible. Go with the one that offers tghe features you want.

NotThisShitAgain.jpg

Porche, Corvette, Mustang. Take your pick. S&B for luxury, USO for the features, NF for a little of both.

Have a NF, buying a USO for the specific features I want. If you want great glass and aren't picky about mil/mil go with Premier Heritage.

you want the best? Hensoldt.
But, you can only get illuminated mil-dot in mil/mil.
Of course what everybody else is saying is true...they are all top tier...AND there gets to be some diminished returns when you go above NF...but none the less, I own a Hensoldt and it is in my opinion the finest scope I have ever looked through. I am a big fan of Zeiss (civilian scopes) from way back though. This is exactly my humble opinion...there are people here who have forgotten more than I will ever learn about shooting supplies.
Anyway, you are going to be very pleased with whatever scope you choose of the above listed.

I haven't gotten to look through any of Rob's NF yet (hint, give me a call), but I do have both a S&B and a USO.
S&B: Great glass, few small issues for price, and you have any issues it is a LONG time to get it fixed.
USO: Pretty Good glass and you get to talk to Becky. CS is very good, stuff gets done with issues and gets done QUICK.

As said, all three are good choices.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS SO FAR. MY APPLICATION IS FOR HUNTING BIG GAME AND LONG DISTANCE. 1000 YARDS OR MORE IS THE GOAL. AND FOR RINGING STEEL. REALLY THINK THE NF WOULD PROBABLY SUFFICE BUT I WANT THE BEST. </div></div>
Reno what is your budget for your scope ? What are the features that you want on your scope ?what kind of big game are you talking about exactly and at what distance does that game stand when you approach ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B has excellent glass but it is also about $1000 more than a Nightforce F1, which has great glass also and comes with rings. Both are great scopes and track perfectly, tough and well tested in military and civilian hands. I would take either over a USO. </div></div>
+1 NF is the best value out there and totally reliable.

The law of diminishing returns applies to scopes. If you start cheap, you will greatly improve the product by spending more. As you spend more and more money, you get less and less in return. By the time you hit NF prices, you've extracted 99% of the juice from the lemon. Spend a grand more on the S&B if you like, but you won't get a $1k better scope.

Budget= NF Features= NF/ I'm hunting elk and mule deer with a 30-378. I can get plenty close but would like the ability to shoot them at a 1000 yards. (Big muleys are awful shy)

Sorry to those of you who have already been thru a similar thread but I just wanted some good opinions from you all.

Its a lot of money to dish out for optics that I don't mind spending and I just want the best idea of what some of you are running with. I really think NF is gonna be my choice. And I really like what they got to offer.

Thanks again!

FULLY AGREE with you. I own all of them and shoot USO on my preferred rifles because it is EXACTLY what I want.
The glass is very similar, anybody that says otherwise is not fair. By the way you have forgotten about leupold M4s, which are a fine piece too.

Depending on BUDGET, model and magnification you can get exactly what you wanted if you buy a USO, adapt to what a german engineer wanted, if you buy a Hensoldt or S&B, get a nice US market oriented (with all the good and the bad it takes with it) if you buy a Nightforce or a Leupold M4 ERT and you can even buy a super light Sightron SIII and take your wife on a diving trip to Belize with the savings... and still have a nice piece of glass.
SO:
It all depends on what you can spend and how much customization or simple adaptation to high quality german glass you want.
DECIDE your priorities and BUY

For me USO ( when budget permits), then Leupold and Sightron ( and a happy wife) <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B has excellent glass but it is also about $1000 more than a Nightforce F1, which has great glass also and comes with rings. Both are great scopes and track perfectly, tough and well tested in military and civilian hands. I would take either over a USO. </div></div>
+1 NF is the best value out there and totally reliable.

The law of diminishing returns applies to scopes. If you start cheap, you will greatly improve the product by spending more. As you spend more and more money, you get less and less in return. By the time you hit NF prices, you've extracted 99% of the juice from the lemon. Spend a grand more on the S&B if you like, but you won't get a $1k better scope. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B has excellent glass but it is also about $1000 more than a Nightforce F1, which has great glass also and comes with rings. Both are great scopes and track perfectly, tough and well tested in military and civilian hands. I would take either over a USO.</div></div>There you have it: S&B if you have the cash; NF for value.

Then a USO for fun. With only a few reservations I like my USO, and I would take an older USO any day of the week, but if I could have only one scope it would be a NF.

The other high end scopes are getting very, very good, and I see a Hensoldt in my future, but in my opinion SB is still the overall champ.

NF gives you the most glass for you cash. For me, the NP-R1 & NP-R2 reticles are very aesthetically pleasing; they relax my brain. That being said, I am just about ready to jump on a Premier. For days, I have been looking for truly crappy reviews of the PH and am coming up empty handed. S&B is just too much premium over the Premier to justify it unless you are an S&B connoisseur. I'd love to have one, but I would like to be more practical for once in my life.

I just did. Look above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one mentioned Premier? </div></div>

Thank you !

The others can take a back seat to the PH 5-25 IMO.

Since SRT Supply (St. Pete) is offering (e-mail offer) a S&B 4x16x50 PMII LP DT (P5LF reticle) for $2499.00 ... they have a limited #, but ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just did. Look above. </div></div>Apologies palmik...I read right past it.
+1
I've been told by a reliable source that Premier's prices are going up 15% next year...I really don't have the $, but I'm seriously considering one (5-25X)...somehow.
It was also explained to me that there's a lot of "S&B" (no BS) in Premier's Heritage line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good choice Reno -remember moa knobs moa reticle /mill reticle mill knobs </div></div>

+1..............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MIL /MIL you will never go back !!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Truer words were never spoken