• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO ST-10 , need input

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
looking at putting in an order with USO. Im getting an st-10 for a 308. Question being. Fixed parallex setting. 100/200/300 ?

Or should i opt out and get the t-pal ? I have read conflicting threads on this. This rifle will be an 800yrd rifle. any farther ill swith cal. So is the fixed parallex ok to 800yds.? This will be the first uso and dident know what to do.

Thanks for the input

Re: USO ST-10 , need input

what are the differences. it may just be me, im just not crazy about reaching out far to change it. I would like it on the side or not have to do it at all would be better. again, new to the uso though. On a fixed parallex, say set at 200yds. I would assume it would be pretty noticabe at 800 ? I have also read on here there are people with a fixed shooting 1k or better with no issues.

I sent my fixed @200yds ST-10 back and had the ERGO installed.......very happy with the difference.

RW,

Well an ST-10 is only about 12" long in total. If you can reach 6" or so to adjust a T-Pal, then another 3" or so to adjust an ERGO is no big stretch.

Certainly a compelling argument can be made on an SN3 3.2-17 which is 16" long, that difference between the reach to adjust a T-Pal vs an ERGO, could be significant.

Parallax control, either T-PAL or ERGO, provides you the flexibility to shoot from 50 yds to 1000 yds, by removing parallax as a potential problem. I would think that resale value, if you chose to sell it someday, would be diminished without some sort of parallax control.

How big a problem is parallax? Well if your target is large enough, like just hitting steel targets, then lack of parallax control may not matter as much. But small targets near or far, is a different story.

But like anything else, it's your money and your choice.

Bob

Ergo is like a traditional adjustable objective and uses one less lens than a side focus, which the TPal is.

If size is driving the choice a ST10 with the 37mm Ergo is a great scope. I've had a couple and they are great!

I personally will not be without the flexibility more magnification offers and would (and have) gone with all higher powered SN3' (hence the "had" in my prior sentence).

The Ergo (to me) is much more forgiving, and can be set for say 200 and used to make accurate hits from 200-800+ without touching it. TPal is like other side foucuses and needs to be diddled with more as the ranges change.

I run both, and have problems with neither. If you can adjust a Harris bipod from your shooting position you will be able to adjust the longest Ergo's (my 3.8-22's pretty long).

The USO 10X I used was fixed at 100 and I dont recall any parallax at 600. It was a barebones model with MOA reticle, 1/2MOA erek and nothing else and worked great.

If you can swing it then fine but I don't think that you'd be hurting without it. You can always have them add it later on as well.

I'm a big fan of the EREK knob and the ERGO adjustment.

if you choose a fixed parallax optic, make sure it is suitable for the type of shooting you plan on doing. parallax is a much bigger deal at closer ranges, than at longer ones. When I say that what I mean is that your parallax will be more noticeable set at 100 yards when aiming at a 200 yard target, than if it's set at 400 aiming at an 800 yard target. Because the projection of your reticule as it moves out moves less the closer it gets to infinity.

Does that make sense? someone else can probably explain it better. That is why on your adjustments there is a large gap between 25 and 50 yards, but a relatively smaller gap between 50 and 100, 100 and 200, and on, and on, and on...

I was just wondering this myself the other day. I currently shoot with a Bushnell 3200 mil/mil with no parallax. I didn't know how big of an advantage it would be on a fixed power but would definitely go ergo on the uso. I have been looking at putting in an order for the same scope. Just not sure if 1200 for a fixed power is worth it considering the other options close to that price range.

Would it be worth it on a .308 to step up to an NXS 3.5-17 for the price difference. I really like my fixed power over my friend's Elite 6500 variable. And of course I like USO, just not sure of the cost/benefit. I do have a 1000yd range I go to on occasion and will be participating in competition on the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxAg08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just wondering this myself the other day. I currently shoot with a Bushnell 3200 mil/mil with no parallax. I didn't know how big of an advantage it would be on a fixed power but would definitely go ergo on the uso. I have been looking at putting in an order for the same scope. Just not sure if 1200 for a fixed power is worth it considering the other options close to that price range.

Would it be worth it on a .308 to step up to an NXS 3.5-17 for the price difference. I really like my fixed power over my friend's Elite 6500 variable. And of course I like USO, just not sure of the cost/benefit. I do have a 1000yd range I go to on occasion and will be participating in competition on the future. </div></div>

I think you can find USO's here on the hide with those options for less than 1200, I just sold one for about a grand with both the ERGO and EREK upgrades. The fixed power will be clearer than a variable all other things equal because there is 1 less lens to distort color/eat light.

With either the NF or the USO you will be able to get your money back if you decide to do something else later.

My real reasoning for the USO is weight. I wanted a very simple 308 platform. I have tried fluted rock barrels with a pmII, and a nightforce and it still weighes a ton. I know it is petty, but i wanted lighter rifle. So i went with and ABS/rock barrel, and im thinking uso on the scope. They are and upgraded good quality scope and are fairly light ? so i think lol

Does anyone have a uso st-10, erek,ergo they could weigh for me. ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My real reasoning for the USO is weight. I wanted a very simple 308 platform. I have tried fluted rock barrels with a pmII, and a nightforce and it still weighes a ton. I know it is petty, but i wanted lighter rifle. So i went with and ABS/rock barrel, and im thinking uso on the scope. They are and upgraded good quality scope and are fairly light ? so i think lol

Does anyone have a uso st-10, erek,ergo they could weigh for me. ?

</div></div>

If you're concern about weight, USO is not for you. You need to be more like "shank" where weight isn't a issue

I had the ST-10 with ERGO and EREK. Super scope for the money, the glass was excellent, it tracked perfectly and I had zero issues.

Go ERGO though.

If you are dead set on a 10x scope this is a great option. If you're buying / paying new prices and adding all the bells and whistles then take a look at the NightForce offerings as it's right about in the same price range.

Shop around and there are some very clean used examples to be had.

Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxAg08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just not sure if 1200 for a fixed power is worth it considering the other options close to that price range.
</div></div>

If you're a fixed 10X fan it is worth it, if not I would save up a few more bucks and start shopping the used NF/Razor HD/IOR etc market.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money there are some sub 1k options out there too. Vortex PST, Weaver FFP, Bushnell FFP, etc etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My real reasoning for the USO is weight.
</div></div>

USO ST10 weighs about a pound and a half which is ballpark for every scope out there (they will ALL be from 24oz on up). The only thing I can think of for similar money that might weigh a little less than that is the leupie m3, or maybe the NF 2.5-10.

The one I have has a 150yds Parallax and I have used it all the way out to 1k with on issues. Here is a photo of it on my M40A1. Love this setup!
P1040832-1-1.jpg

Mike @ CST

Mine was set at 300 yards and had not experienced any problems from 100 to 500 plus yards. PAT.

I just weighed my SN-3 1.8-10X44 ERGO... 2.25 pounds I'm changing scopes to lose a little weight... SN-3 1.8-10X37 with different options. Hoping to get it at or under 2 pounds.

Next question.. lol Ive got alot of em. are ay of you running a fixed 10 for comp shooting. Im really looking to get into some shoots at TVP. so is it worth it to just put the boot to an adj power. Or are you guys shooting fixed 10 or 17x for them.

Sorry for all th questions and being un-decicive thinking. Im just not sure what i want/need for sure. and can afford to buy one scope at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking at putting in an order with USO. Im getting an st-10 for a 308. Question being. Fixed parallex setting. 100/200/300 ?

Or should i opt out and get the t-pal ? I have read conflicting threads on this. This rifle will be an 800yrd rifle. any farther ill swith cal. So is the fixed parallex ok to 800yds.? This will be the first uso and dident know what to do.

Thanks for the input </div></div>

Best advice would be call USO and talk to them about your application. They know their stuff pretty well.....

When I ran an ST10 on my SPR it was an Ergo with M3 turrets and I had the windage knob installed on the left side to keep the right side clear for my red dot I ran at 1:00 on my handguard.
Try stuff like that with the other companies
wink.gif

I bought the fixed, would rather have had the ergo. If I get another it will have the ergo parallax adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next question.. lol Ive got alot of em. are ay of you running a fixed 10 for comp shooting. Im really looking to get into some shoots at TVP. so is it worth it to just put the boot to an adj power. Or are you guys shooting fixed 10 or 17x for them.

Sorry for all th questions and being un-decicive thinking. Im just not sure what i want/need for sure. and can afford to buy one scope at this time.

</div></div>

I've run a 10x SS plenty at TVP and have done fairly well with it. I switched to a 16x on only to spot my partners misses more accurately. More power also helps when there isn't much paint left on the targets. A 10x won't hold you back IMO.

As far a parallax or no parallax, I'm thinking getting it and not using it is better than not getting it and wishing you could adjust it... No one says that you have to constantly adjust the settings.

Is that flawed thinking?

I just ordered a 1.8x10 37mm with EREK and ERGO a few weeks ago. Now I'm clawing at the walls waiting to get it.

+1 on the suggestion to call USO, they are very willing to help. even on e-mail if it's more convenient.