• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO vs. Nightforce

snakebyte922

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Texas
I am sending my 700 sa to gap and now looking for optics. I have narrowed it down to USO or NF there is a little price difference in the two and am not sure which direction to go! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: USO vs. Nightforce

Both manufacturers put out good scopes and have their faithful.

If you could let us know more about your rifle and its intended purpose, we could give better guidance on a scope to fill that role.

I've had the chance to look through both and am also a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"

Both are nice optics. Your decision will come with the options you choose. I like NF but for my specific needs, I want an FFP optic. NF doesn't make one in the power ranges I desire. Also, the power adjustment for a NF is hard/er to manipulate on the fly. You really need a cat tail to adjust quickly. The USO has a solution that is much easier to manipulate on the fly. Not needing a cat tail. Just a few examples of why I chose to spend a little more for the USO. NF is a great optic and if you can live with the options they offer, then by all means try to save some money.

This will be my first GAP.It will be in .308. I intend on using it for a little hunting and mostly bench. i dont want super high power i like the 3-17x50mm. I think that is the range i am looking to stay in!

My first high end scope was a NF F-1 and it worked well for me until I got to shoot a buddies USO SN-3. I ended up selling off the F-1 and purchased a USO SN-3 3.8x22 with the 58mm objective and I absolutely love the scope. I mostly shoot matches so the EREK feature and reticle options that USO offers is worth the extra $$$. I also feel the eye box on the USOs are much more user friendly especially in alternate positions. Pay once cry once

i had a nf nxs 3.5-15x50, but sold it in favor of the sn-3, the multitude of options is what won my vote for the uso, yes it is more money, almost a grand, but for me the difference in being able to select the features you, want vs. just buying whats available off the shelf was worth it, just my 2 cents

Either one is excellent choice. Your big decision is do you want FFP or SFP? If you are just on a bench, I say SFP is all you need. Go NF, save the $1000 and use it to buy more ammo. I'm not smart enough to use a SFP in the matches I do, so I went FFP and USO.

so most vote the extra $$$ for the USO with oout a doubt. What are some options that are a must!

Id take a 3.5-15 F1 with MLR2 reticle over nearly any scope out there including any USOs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snakebyte922</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so most vote the extra $$$ for the USO with oout a doubt. What are some options that are a must!</div></div>

Check out the;

T-Pal
EREK knob
Digital illumination buttons
Blue illumination color
Internal anti cant device
Capped windage knob
34mm/35mm main tube options
58mm Objective option
Sun shade/ ARD

Here some thoughts about my SN-3 T-Pal

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....100#Post3193100

Ok few more questions, great review by the way. Should I order direct from USO or are there other places recommended, Is the digital Illumination buttons worth it, i think i am liking the blue illumination are there any down sides to it, I am not a fan of green. Feeling good aboout the capped windage and the oversized elevation knob. The excitement is building, I think i am going to order it tonight!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id take a 3.5-15 F1 with MLR2 reticle over nearly any scope out there including any USOs. </div></div>
The F1 is nice. I did the very first eval of one with the MLR2 in 2010. The nitpicks I have with the F1 are the illumination is a pain to adjust, and the whole rear ocular rotates with power adjust. But the glass is very good and the turrets are nice. The MLR2 I had, only the center portion of the reticle illuminated. Some will like that, some will not.

I currently run a USO 3.2x17 with GAP Reticle, and have a few more USO on order with a new reticle designed by the SoCal precision rifle team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snakebyte922</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok few more questions, great review by the way. Should I order direct from USO or are there other places recommended, </div></div>

It depends on how fast you want it. Personally, if you can get all the options you want off the shelf from a dealer, then just flat buy it. If you want a custom job, which is one of USO's great capabilities, you should be mentally prepared to cope with delay because they're a bunch of demons on quality control and they have a small shop. In the end you'll get exactly what you wanted, perfectly put together, but it might take time.

Between the two choices I would choose the NF F1 with the MLR2 reticle. I have owned multiples of both scopes, although my F1s had the original MLR reticle, and the NF would be my choice any day of the week.

check into the Tombstone feature on the EREK knob for USO also.

I run a SSDS from USO and have been happy with my choice. I have had the opportunity to look thru a sample from most of the high end company's. I am still happy to have my USO.

It goes either way. I have NF's and had a USO SN-3 TPAL; I liked the NF scopes more and ended up selling the USO (and replacing it with another NF). It's honestly mostly personal preference at that point, but I felt the NF scopes had better glass in them than my USO did. However, it seems a lot of people think the USO glass is stellar so it must vary. I am talking strictly about resolution here.

I have 5 USO, I go with US company, also you can not beat their customer service. Just my 2cents worth

Im a USO Fan ... For a Utility Hunting / Target double duty rifle the 1.8-10 ets my vote. For a Target/Tactical rig the 3.2-17 or 3.8-22 would be my choice. My stubby 18 inch 308 has the 1.8-10 and my 26 inch tac/target has the 3.8-22. The 3.2-17 is pretty much the same size as the 3.8-22. Don't get me wrong ... the 3.2-17 is a great model but I take a few more ounces and get 5x more magnification. I say that because if im gonna pack it I go with the stubby lighter rifle.

Nightforce makes a good scope and the new HS turrents and a true zero stop give it features a lot like. I setup my EREK as a zero stop and hold wind so that works for me. I know a lot of guys with Nightforce scopes and they really like them. Both make a good optic.

Between the two I'd take the NF F1. The illumination is hard to adjust, but how many actually use that feature? I also dont have an issue adjusting magnification on the fly. If I were going to spend what a USO costs, I'd save a little more and get a S&B.....oh wait, that's exactly what I did.
smile.gif

In another location on the board Chris from sportoptics said that he wished more people would just call him in regards to scope/reticle selection... so I did. Best decision I have made in regards to picking what glass I wanted. I usually just do a great deal of internet research but it was very nice to talk to a knowledgeable guy and vet my assumptions. It is guaranteed I'll be going back when I have questions or $$ to spend in the future.

Clearly there's a great deal of experience and expertise here but sometimes that live feedback is valuable. The quality of service from sportoptics appears well known on this board but I make it a point to call out excellent service. As far as selection I went with a 5.5-22x56 MOAR from NF however my application may be drastically different from yours. Decision was based on trusted recommendations, application, a call to NF and Chris.

Cheers~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the two I'd take the NF F1. The illumination is hard to adjust, but how many actually use that feature? I also dont have an issue adjusting magnification on the fly. If I were going to spend what a USO costs, I'd save a little more and get a S&B.....oh wait, that's exactly what I did.
smile.gif

</div></div>

+1 to this. I'd vote for the NF too. The features on the USO are nice, but nothing I found that I needed. The optical quality of the F1 I believe is better than my 5-25 SN3. That being said, I like having 25x, so the 5-25 is still in the stable.

Then I got an S&B PM-II and am looking to swap out the USO with a PH just to see what the PH is all about.

I don't really use illumination, the SN3 has a Gen 2XR, which is essentially a holdover reticle, so I don't dial elevation (though the erek knob is fast and easy to use). The 58mm bell vs the 56 of the F1 doesn't offer me many advantages... I think 30mm rings are easier to come by than 34mm.

And for the price range of the USO, you'd almost just want to wait and go for the S&B.

If there was a 5-25 F1 I'd ditch the USO for it in a heartbeat.

The F1 and the SN3 are pretty much a toss up.
I have a SN3 3.2x17x44 Ergo and love it and was going to get a F1 but none were to be had at the time.
I don't regret the USO one bit but I have the utmost respect for the NF.
Mine went on a AR308 but a USO does have the options for a larger scope body if that helps you in longer distances.
Good Luck.

I have an NSX I shoot on my 300wm and, I also have a USO scope... I've looked through several sn-3 scopes and honestly, I have to give the clarity edge to USO.... at least the ones I've seen.

But, I have to say, you have to compare features on the scopes. Do you want ffp or sfp... does it matter to you? The NF is a great scope but, so it the USO... depending on your pocket book and the features you need, just pick your poison.

I just got an SN-9 10-42x80 on my 375CT I picked up on consignment... you have no idea what you can see with that beast. At 42x you have the same field of view you do with the 22x NSX ( but you do have an 80mm objective lol )

After dealing with the USO folks, I can't say enough good things about them. They went way over the top for something I needed on my first request and I bought this scope used on consignment. ( I was looking for mounting options for this beast of a scope and there was nothing wrong with the scope )

I've had no reason to contact NF.