• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns USPSA and NSCA Questions

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Hi,

OK, so whom here is the USPSA and the NSCA "guru"?
    I need to talk to someone intimately familiar with the in's/outs of both of those organizations.
    Specifically to the endorsed/accredited/sanctioned/etc ranges and matches.

@308pirate
    @1moaoff

What is the "basic" layout and equipment requirements?
    What is the "preferred" layout and equipment requirements?
    What is the "next level shit, lol" layout and equipment requirements?

I am referring to the actual range, range equipment, course layout, range flow, etc..not the actual firearms involved.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: RTV and stefan73
    Hi,

OK, so whom here is the USPSA and the NSCA "guru"?
    I need to talk to someone intimately familiar with the in's/outs of both of those organizations.
    Specifically to the endorsed/accredited/sanctioned/etc ranges and matches.

@308pirate
    @1moaoff

What is the "basic" layout and equipment requirements?
    What is the "preferred" layout and equipment requirements?
    What is the "next level shit, lol" layout and equipment requirements?

I am referring to the actual range, range equipment, course layout, range flow, etc..not the actual firearms involved.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Been too long for me.....

I'll ask another guy at our local match tomorrow, we have monthly USPSA'sh matches up here in the Fort Polk area.

there really aren't any big equipment/facility requirements. uspsa matches are held in small indoor ranges all the way to facilities with dozens of bays. you'll need lumber for walls and fault lines, target stands and sticks, cardboard targets, pasters. some way of scoring whether pen and paper later input into a computer and uploaded to uspsa, or using nooks, tablets etc. some method to register (practiscore) or just having folks show up. need to run some minimum number of classifier stages annually (generally very simple stages that can be duplicated easily at various clubs).

then you have rules regarding setting up and running stages, and of course rules for competing and guns and gear. target placement and distances, number of targets per array. safety areas.

as far as range flow, similar to prs, at least the ones i've attended. separate into squads of 6-12 +/- people each. a squad goes to their first stage and shoots it person by person then moves to the next stage. in a small indoor match, may just be one squad and the targets etc are re-arranged after each stage. in a larger facility they'll have 5-8 +/- stages set up in various bays and the squads just cycle thru them.

USPSA requirements is only becoming an affiliated club. I recall that bring pretty easy. Copy/paste of their guidelines for clubs further below.

USPSA is easy in terms of square feet needed: 3 sided bays, pistol depth, good surface for movement and drainage

Matches can be heavy on equipment needed: portable walls, steel poppers, plate rack, texas star, swinging targets, other movers, and cardboard targets from an approved vendor.

Some good ranges if you're looking for layout:
    Froostproof, FL
    PASA Park, IL
    Bluegrass Sportsman, Wilmore, KY

Indoors, best examples I've seen are McHenry IPSC and Pine Tree Pistol Club but the range allows them to use target backers so not all targets are "bowling alley" style.

"Club Re-Affiliation
    The affiliation year runs from January 1 to December 31. The fee for reaffiliation is $50; clubs have until February 15 to reaffiliate. After February 15 a $15 late fee is assessed. After March 15 clubs must re-apply and pay the $75.00 new club fee, submit a list of 10 USPSA members in their club. These applications must also be signed by the section coordinator. Any club that has not reaffiliated or affiliated anew by April 1 will be dropped from the records.
    a. To qualify for reaffiliation USPSA clubs must have been in accordance with the USPSA bylaws (4.8, 4.11 and 4.14) :
    -held a minimum of seven events in the calendar year
    -four of the events must have had a classifier
    -have rendered the published results together with appropriate activity fees due the corporation within 30 days of the match date
    -have paid all activity fees for each contestant in all USPSA shooting contests hosted by the member club"

Last edited:
    I shoot at least one match a month, sometimes 3.

No real range requirements, we used to run matches indoors on a regular pistol range. Two nice ones in Illinois were mentioned above.

To be legit you have to affiliate. The biggest requirement is safety. Props come along as you go, target stands and targets are all that you need to start out.

As a note. I dont think people travel asmuch anymore for uspsa or idpa etc unless its a big match. In the days of ipsc there weren't as many clubs offering it.

however I have seen and heard about more custom events

High end competitors will have a weekend or a full week in Vegas staying at decent hotels and then a week of high level small group training. Its pricier but draws a different crowd. Its my understanding the instructors even try to maintain contact after the class to see how they progress after.as it should be.

Seperately

Many of us have been to classes but they are always to the group And lowest common denominator. Something like what they are doing for uspsa small high level class for comps qould be interesting.

Sorry to get off topic.

Reactions: THEIS
    As a note. I dont think people travel asmuch anymore for uspsa or idpa etc unless its a big match. In the days of ipsc there weren't as many clubs offering it.
    You would be surprised! There are guys that drive 2 hrs to the monthly matches, not to mention all the Illinois guys we get every month. They are investing at least an hour, some a bit more.

There is one club about an hour and a quarter from us, we hit the monthly match a few times a year. I'm spoiled, my farthest drive to a monthly match is 40 min, the other two are 5 min from my house!

The PRS matches I will be shooting starting in April are a hour away.