• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

uspsa approved 9mm production load?

balls2elwall

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Tampa, FL
ok, so i just started uspsa and i shoot a xdm 9mm i dont personally reload but i have been told to go to a reloader not only because its cheaper but also because the factory loads ive been using are too hot, does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should tell this professional reloader? any informations is greatly appreciated.

Re: uspsa approved 9mm production load?

124 Montana Gold JHP, Winchester SP primer, and enough Tite Group to get 125 power factor. Somewhhere between 3.8 to 4.2 grains should get you there but you need to chrono and get around 1025-1050 fps. Check out Brian Enos forum for additional info.

Back when I shot IDPA my favorite load was 4.2 grs Titegroup with a 124 FMJ. Made power factor out of both my G17 and G34 and shot softer than 115 gr ball ammo.

There are many different load combinations used by "Production" shooters in USPSA. This site is the place to go for USPSA info www.brianenos.com .

They'll get you some good info.

I like the 115 gr. MontanaGolds for 9x19 personally but as the others said, check out BE's site.

One caution:
Be extra conservative on making the 125 pf limit.
When loading for making major, worst case scenario is that you cut it too close and you get scored minor instead of major.

On the 125 pf limit: if you don't make it you have gone sub-minor and you go home.

Balls2elwall loading pistol is dirt simple compared to precision rifle, I use
RCBS partner press
RCBS Uniflo with small drum
RCBS hand primer
Hornady dies, free bullets and superior lock rings
I crimp 40s&w witha Lee Factory Crimp Die
RCBS shell holder for press and hand primer
Lyman M5 scale to set up the powder throw

I can load about 100 per hour with this set up, not Dillon\LNL-AP fast but I didn't spend more 200 bucks for everything, buy used here and Egay like me and you'll have everything pretty quick

Something to keep in mind when shooting a 9mm to make Major Power Factor in IPSC. MOST older pistols were not made to digest a steady diet of hard hammering ammo with heavy projectiles like the 124 grain or heavier. Most are designed around the 115 grain or lighter. Especially pistols with an alloy frame. Have a reputable gunsmith examine your pistol and change the recoil spring / pads / guides if needed to shoot major power factor loads all the time. With the factory installed recoil springs in aluminum alloy framed semi-automatic pistols, most will suffer frame / receiver / slide damage if shot with an extended diet of hard hammering ammo.

Likewise some pistols after having the recoil spring replaced to accomodate heavier loads, will not function reliably with lighter factory loads usually carried for self defense. Be sure to get the lighter recoil spring from the gunsmith and keep it for lighter loads should you decide to go back to the lighter loads.

The above statement does not normally apply to most Glock firearms. But to others with alloy frames... you might want to have someone take a look at it.

Good luck.

wow thanks everyone i didnt expect such great advice that clearly comes from experience i really appreciate everyones advice and especially getting feed back from experienced idpa, uspsa shooters.

If you are shooting USPSA production .... there is no need to try and make major power as it doesnt mean a thing .....

All you need is to be over 125 power factor.

I shot Ga state pistol championship with a 126 PF.

Shoot 130-135pf for minor production loads. 124/125 or 147gr bullets and Titegroup is about as good as it gets. N320, WST, 231, and Solo 1000 (for 147s), are also all good powders. Federal or Win small pistol primers. Brass is brass for these loads. I shoot mixed regularly without issue. 3.3/3.4 gr TG and a 147gr jacketed bullet is the way to go. Heavy bullets and fast powder equals soft shooting ammo. BE is the place to check out pages of info on this subject.

I have a G34 pushing 100,000 rounds on it with these loads. It runs like new still. (Doesn't look like new thought.)

Friday's on the mark in terms of common 9x19 production loads.

By the way, I used the major pf as an example of the risk/reward process that experienced IPSC/USPSA competitors use.

Experience from shooting 10-12 Nationals over the years and Area matches. Your ammo typically chronos differently at matches than what you might measure at your home range. Makes sense, right? Many variables: altitude, humidity, distance to skyscreens, etc.
We're fortunate in CO to have Greg "Chronoman" chrono many of our local, big matches. So we get verification from his set up which is often used at Nationals. That being said, don't get too risky with Production loads making the 125 pf. I have seen GMs/Ms go home at Natls when they went sub-minor. Maybe not a big deal at a big, local match (like a state championship) but a very big deal when you've spent $1000+ on travel, lodging, match fees at a Level 2 or higher match that you've traveled great distance to.
The perceived recoil of a 126 pf load vs. a 132 pf load is slight at best.

I shot USPSA for about 10 years until the local club shut down. I squeaked into B class with a Para P-14. The secrete to getting good at USPSA is to have someone teach you the fundamentals and then shoot a lot (and I mean a lot). You want to find the very cheapest load that will shoot well in your gun and make the minimum power factor. You don’t need fancy bullets or for the bullet to travel any faster than is needed to make your power factor or than is needed to run your gun reliably. I assume you know how to calculate the power factor? If not look at the USPSA web site or post here and I’ll explain. Hope this helps, I really miss USPSA