• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USPSA/IDPA vs PRS vs 3 gun

Clock time is definitely more of a factor in USPSA scoring vs IDPA scoring. I shoot both IDPA and/or USPSA at least 2 or 3 times a month. I shoot IDPA about 80% of that time, so my subconscious is geared more so on accuracy than time. I don't necessarily throw time out the window for the sake of accuracy, but I am regularly in the top 5 of overall standings despite shooting CDP in our local matches. A good carry optics division shooter is very hard to keep up with when you are shooting irons and major pf. The sweet spot of accuracy vs time in IDPA is around 10-13% of your raw time being points down with the 13% being more applicable to matches with a lot of moving targets.

However, I do catch hell in USPSA trying to shift gears to go a little bit faster with a looser sight picture. Its a different game from IDPA for sure. I still end up with about 90-95% of my hits being A-zone hits, so I still need a little more speed to get better at that game. Most of the very good shooters in USPSA shooting major pf seem to hover around 75-80% A-zone hits, so the speed they are running vs earned target points seems the be the sweet spot. A major pf shooter can run loose for the sake of time and double charlie every target for the entire match and still collect 80% of available target points, while the minor pf shooter doing the same would only collect 60%.

All the different shooting disciplines definitely have their strategy differences, so play accordingly. Any of them sure beats shooting on a square range just wasting ammo. Shoot whatever disciplines are available to you within reasonable driving distance and have fun. Don't resort to just sitting on the couch if you don't feel like you can perform at the upper levels. We all started out at the bottom at some time.

Clock time is definitely more of a factor in USPSA scoring vs IDPA scoring. I shoot both IDPA and/or USPSA at least 2 or 3 times a month. I shoot IDPA about 80% of that time, so my subconscious is geared more so on accuracy than time. I don't necessarily throw time out the window for the sake of accuracy, but I am regularly in the top 5 of overall standings despite shooting CDP in our local matches. A good carry optics division shooter is very hard to keep up with when you are shooting irons and major pf. The sweet spot of accuracy vs time in IDPA is around 10-13% of your raw time being points down with the 13% being more applicable to matches with a lot of moving targets.

However, I do catch hell in USPSA trying to shift gears to go a little bit faster with a looser sight picture. Its a different game from IDPA for sure. I still end up with about 90-95% of my hits being A-zone hits, so I still need a little more speed to get better at that game. Most of the very good shooters in USPSA shooting major pf seem to hover around 75-80% A-zone hits, so the speed they are running vs earned target points seems the be the sweet spot. A major pf shooter can run loose for the sake of time and double charlie every target for the entire match and still collect 80% of available target points, while the minor pf shooter doing the same would only collect 60%.

All the different shooting disciplines definitely have their strategy differences, so play accordingly. Any of them sure beats shooting on a square range just wasting ammo. Shoot whatever disciplines are available to you within reasonable driving distance and have fun. Don't resort to just sitting on the couch if you don't feel like you can perform at the upper levels. We all started out at the bottom at some time.

Keep in mind how the time/points balance shifts between high and low hit factor stages. I've seen USPSA stages that needed to be shot carefully with very, very few Cs. You just had to do all the non-shooting shit very quickly.

Oh come on now, don't you want to get your ass kicked by a guy in the senior category with a bad knee that can still outrun and outshoot you?

100% chance that won't happen, lol. I've got two bad knees and am not worried about some poser outshooting me. The only thing I have never shot is a Precision Rifle Series. Most high power shooters think they suck because all you have to do is ring the gong most of the time, no X-ring to worry about.

You are an "action shooter", you can hit a refrigerator sized target 3 out of 9 times at 7 yards in 5 seconds with a pistol and you think "long range rifle" is 45 yards. Congrats.

Tell me you don't know anything about this without telling me you don't know anything about it...

Seriously, you guys suck at accuracy. The last USPSA thing I wasted a Saturday attending involved shooting a pistol at muzzle blast distance the entire day. One stage was "long range" and the object was to draw, fire and hit a target at 40 yards twice.( any hit counted and several guys drained a magazine to get two hits) Everything else was from 7 feet to 7 yards, mostly 7 feet.

The guy that won shot 90% D rings and was a fast runner. In a real gunfight he would have died instantly. I shot 90% A's and managed 12th place out of 50 people with zero practice, drawing from a carry holster at times using extra mags from my back pocket.

Two fags with pony tails doing karate move on each other in the parking lot was the icing on the cake. That part was better than watching guys compliment each other on magazine bumper pad colors.

Yeah you are cool, any grown man calling himself "the Tiger" is always cool as hell. You just are not especially accurate.

You are an "action shooter", you can hit a refrigerator sized target 3 out of 9 times at 7 yards in 5 seconds with a pistol and you think "long range rifle" is 45 yards. Congrats.

Would you care to find out for yourself?

We can also hit Thunder Valley Precision and you can watch me try the 45 yard gong with a rifle

Seriously, you guys suck at accuracy. The last USPSA thing I wasted a Saturday attending involved shooting a pistol at muzzle blast distance the entire day. One stage was "long range" and the object was to draw, fire and hit a target at 40 yards twice.( any hit counted and several guys drained a magazine to get two hits) Everything else was from 7 feet to 7 yards, mostly 7 feet.

The guy that won shot 90% D rings and was a fast runner. In a real gunfight he would have died instantly. I shot 90% A's and managed 12th place out of 50 people with zero practice, drawing from a carry holster at times using extra mags from my back pocket.

Two fags with pony tails doing karate move on each other in the parking lot was the icing on the cake. That part was better than watching guys compliment each other on magazine bumper pad colors.

Yeah you are cool, any grown man calling himself "the Tiger" is always cool as hell. You just are not especially accurate.

HAHAHAHAHA

Sounds like bullshit

OK boomer

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

By your description that was not an actual USPSA match.
Weird that you had to get all butthurt and attack screen names though. I suppose yours means you're some kind of Clint Eastwood-esque gun slinging sniper?

Reactions: 308pirate
They are fun, but I feel USPSA might be the harder discipline as its about speed and accuracy (hitting A zone), and doing it as fast as you possibly can. As in, you get on target, acquire appropriate sight picture, and then calling your shots. You have to learn to call your shots and be able to do it quickly.

Goat
I got second place point shooting whole stage and not using my sights, how hard can it be?

I’m not trying to but this post makes me sound like a douche, but short range pistol shooting isn’t wizardry, hitting steel at 100 off hand isn’t really even difficult. You just have to go shoot, pistols are easy. Shooting off a wobbly ass barricade in 20mph wind out past 700+ gets difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: lonegunman762x51
I got second place point shooting whole stage and not using my sights, how hard can it be?
Link to Practiscore results?

I’m not trying to but this post makes me sound like a douche, but short range pistol shooting isn’t wizardry,
I don't know if it makes you sound like a douche, but it makes you sound like you know nothing about USPSA. None of the shots in USPSA are particularly difficult IF you take all day. Something tells me you'd end up near the bottom at any match that had any semblance of talent in it.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I forgot this thread was in the bear pit. Now it all makes sense.
We should change the name to the Put Up Or Shut Up thread, and set some ground rules. We'll make it easy. If you are a great shooter just post a link to scores on Practiscore, post a match video, or even just go out and set up a simple classifier and post the video. It's easy to prove if you're good, just not quite as easy as it is to say that you're good.

Link to Practiscore results?

I don't know if it makes you sound like a douche, but it makes you sound like you know nothing about USPSA. None of the shots in USPSA are particularly difficult IF you take all day. Something tells me you'd end up near the bottom at any match that had any semblance of talent in it.
Let me just magic some stuff up from a local match 10 years ago lol, you don’t have to believe anything doesn’t mean it didn’t happen it wasn’t a sanctioned USPSA event but we used the same sort of setup. I also never said I beat the top guys nationally or anything I got second where I shot. I was late do to work and they let me shoot all the shit I missed, I was in a rush and happened to do really well. I used to shoot daily and practiced with a bunch of good shooters I knew back then and they taught me a lot, I was definitely an above average shooter at the time. I also did a ton of point shooting because I thought it was fun. I also said a stage, not the whole match.

It’s not like I’m on here making insane claims constantly. I’m just tired of people acting like pistols are way harder to shoot than they are, it’s practice and doing it correctly like anything else. Most people just don’t put the work in, I don’t anymore and I suck now I’m not walking around telling everyone how amazing I supposedly still am every day. Back then everything I did was to make me shoot better.

Last edited: