• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision UTM pixel pitch

Mban2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
How does the 17micron UTM compare to the 12micron UTMx? Does the reduction in pixel pitch make a huge difference? I just snagged a UTM and I’m wondering how much different it is compared to the X version

My brain confused UTC and UTM.

UTM is 25um
UTM-X is 17um

There is no 12um version of the UTM... yet.

UTM-X is TracIR enabled. UTM is not.
There is a noticeable difference ia display quality between the two models, but it is not earth-shattering.

Leaving below faux paux for posterity.

UTC is 25um
UTC-X is 17um
UTC-Xii is 12um

There is zero resolution / resolving ability between UTC-X and UTXii. No one could tell the difference looking through a scope between the two. In fact, some think the X even looks a smidge better at higher magnifications than the Xii. I’ve compared both of mine side-by-side using identical scopes (I have two SB PMII 3-27’s). **IF** there is a difference, it was at the limit of 27x where I *think* I saw a hair better definition in the X, which means it’s either not there or so trivial as not to matter.

The straight UTM is NOT TracIR compatible. The X is TracIR compatible with v5.2 software. All versions of the Xii are TracIR compatible.

Last edited:
UTM is 25um
UTM-X is 17um
UTM-Xii is 12um

There is zero resolution / resolving ability between UTM-X and UTM-Xii. No one could tell the difference looking through a scope between the two. In fact, some think the X even looks a smidge better at higher magnifications than the Xii. I’ve compared both of mine side-by-side using identical scopes (I have two SB PMII 3-27’s). **IF** there is a difference, it was at the limit of 27x where I *think* I saw a hair better definition in the X, which means it’s either not there or so trivial as not to matter.

The straight UTM is NOT TracIR compatible. The X is TracIR compatible with v5.2 software. All versions of the Xii are TracIR compatible.
Is there a UTM Xii? Sounds like you are calling the Utc a UTM but I’m prolly wrong

Reactions: TheHorta
I’ll let you know after tomorrow. I’m going to try to use my UTM as a clip on and see how it compares to the skeet IR -L that I used to have (it was terrible as a clip on)

I don’t know about adjusting the parallax but you do need to adjust the screen location by setting the reticle to line up with the scope’s reticle.

As to the Skeetir-L as a clip on, mine is rocking that role. Obviously the X would be better but I’m getting no POI change and pretty good accuracy so I’m really pleased.

I don’t know about adjusting the parallax but you do need to adjust the screen location by setting the reticle to line up with the scope’s reticle.

Please explain.

There was a thread on this topic over at arfcom but forgot what all they where saying. One of them was a screen adjustment, ie moving the entire screen inside the display since there are more than 640x pixels inside the device. Another was moving the reticle on the screen.

Which are you talking about? How is it done?

the best way is to adjust the reticle of the thermal to match the scope reticle, then use the ocular lens to remove any parallax between the two. You should do that with the UTC line as well, but it really isn't necessary. Of course with the UTC you are using the side parallax on the day scope to adjust.

Please explain.

There was a thread on this topic over at arfcom but forgot what all they where saying. One of them was a screen adjustment, ie moving the entire screen inside the display since there are more than 640x pixels inside the device. Another was moving the reticle on the screen.

Which are you talking about? How is it done?

I watched it done with a UTM (not X). I believe you line up the reticle with your scope’s reticle which does move the screen when done in the proper setting. Haven’t done it myself, just watched smarter guys than myself.

the best way is to adjust the reticle of the thermal to match the scope reticle, then use the ocular lens to remove any parallax between the two. You should do that with the UTC line as well, but it really isn't necessary. Of course with the UTC you are using the side parallax on the day scope to adjust.

Interesting.

There is moving the reticle on the screen, then there is moving the entire screen. If we’re adjusting the reticle, and not the screen, what exactly is it doing? Im unsure how moving a black line of pixels changes anything about POA/POI. I’m genuinely curious what is being changed to turn the UTM or x into a better clipon.

I watched it done with a UTM (not X). I believe you line up the reticle with your scope’s reticle which does move the screen when done in the proper setting. Haven’t done it myself, just watched smarter guys than myself.

This is where it gets confusing. I’m pretty sure moving the reticle on the screen doesn’t move the screen. There is another setting where you can adjust the screen (and reticle on the screen will move with it).

Interesting.

There is moving the reticle on the screen, then there is moving the entire screen. If we’re adjusting the reticle, and not the screen, what exactly is it doing? Im unsure how moving a black line of pixels changes anything about POA/POI. I’m genuinely curious what is being changed to turn the UTM or x into a better clipon.
Having the two reticles overlap just gives you a reference point for removing any parallax difference between the two.

I am very interested to hear from someone who has successfully zeroed a UTM with their day optic. How did it work and what process did you follow?

Having the two reticles overlap just gives you a reference point for removing any parallax difference between the two.

This is essentially what I was getting at. Thanks.

The reticle isn’t really needed, it’s simply a quicker way to remove parallax. In my head I was thinking WTF good does the reticle do?! Lol

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I have the UTM-X model and all I had to do was mount it in front of my scope with a Wilcox mount and that was it. I didnt have to align both reticles for it to work. I left it in the 1x mode and was hitting zero with my mk12 at 100 yard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Mban2 and TheHorta
How are you removing parallax with the utm? Do you line reticles up then move your head around and adjust UTM eyepiece till reticles says together ?

Not much different from others. Depending upon which “model” UTM-X you have, it should work well as a clipon. It’s good up to about 8x optical magnification. Just figure out where your scope plays nice with minimal POI shift on the UTM diopter and make witness marks.

... In my head I was thinking WTF good does the reticle do?!
Aligning reticles allows the use of digital zoom on clip-on. Zoom is performed in a way that does not change the position of the reticle (the center of the reticle stays put, and the rest of the pixels move around due to scaling). I hope this makes sense.

Actually @jwramp did it with the device I owned at the time. Lol. That was the only experience I’ve had zeroing a UTM. Although it should be easy enough; match UTM reticle to your day reticle, then turn UTM reticle off. Remove parallax and get to shootin’!
@jwramp JW can you explain in detail the process you used. Thanks

Reactions: BurtG
I just zeroed my UTM-X yesterday.

You should NOT need to activate the reticle if using as a clipon. Just go to max optical magnification you will use on your scope with the UTM (recommend 8x MAX). Assuming your LPVO does NOT have a parallax adjustment, simply use the UTM diopter until the image TTL is sharpest at max optical magnification. If you have a more modern UTM-X with the updated eyepiece, there should now be little to no POI shift.

Mine is within one MOA, as all should be.

Reactions: BurtG
Mine is dead on in conjunction with my mk-12. Just left it in 1x and adjusted the diopter. You should be good to good