• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing V bedding block lapping: Magpul hunter

SICARIO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
Oregon, USA, etc.
Has anyone ever tried lapping a V bedding block as opposed to epoxy bedding? I recently got a Magpul hunter stock and tested the contact between the receiver and block with dykem layout fluid. It showed I was touch behind the front mounting hole, and in front my of the rear hole. I think this would cause stress when torqued down. Instead of epoxy bedding, I decided to add a little lapping compound and work the receiver back and forth very slightly to increase the contact surface. After a few minutes I tested it and shows full contact now. Not sure if this is common or sound practice but seemed like it was worth the trial. Anyone else tried something like this? I wonder if the same process would work with the scope base.

Attachments

• 9C412763-9AA0-448E-85E5-7D827201165E.jpeg
    9C412763-9AA0-448E-85E5-7D827201165E.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
curious, i've never read about this

i would imagine that the V block is made of a softer metal than that of the receiver...maybe Aluminum? can't imagine it would hurt in seating the receiver however, i wonder if it didn't remove the finish/bluing from the receiver?

From the photo is doesn't seem to be a problem but at first i was concerned that perhaps the back and forth motion utilized to lap the receiver might increase the potential of for and aft movement during recoil

Last edited:
It did remove a little bit of bluing, however I plan to have it coated so it wasn't a big concern. The bedding block is aluminum.

Your thinking is sound in theory but somewhat lacking in practice.

The likelihood of achieving a perfect fit is much higher with a liquid shim (bedding) that with any homemade lapping job. And a hell of a lot easier.
I agree the liquid bedding would likely give you a better fit. However, with the barrel/lug removed, it was very easy to try this method out. 5-10 minutes of lapping and I had complete contact. I'm not sure it gets much easier.

Unfortunately I never did a before and after, so there's no claim of improved accuracy here. I was just curious if it had ever been tried before.