• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

V22 vs. RimX

T-TurtleWang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
Looking into a top tier 22lr and I'm stuck between getting a V22 or going with the RimX.
Which one would you pick and why?

Thanks

I went with Vudoo based on a large following, exceptional accuracy, and history of great customer service. I also like to support companies that originate ideas, it’s always easy to follow someone’s footsteps.

I have a couple Vudoos.

I have shot a couple different Bighorns, but I dont own one.

The top shelf customer service from Vudoo wins for me. The fact that Vudoo mags are MUCH cheaper is just an added bonus.

Reactions: nakoa01 and Krob95
went with Vudoo based on a large following, exceptional accuracy, and history of great customer service. I also like to support companies that originate ideas, it’s always easy to follow someone’s footsteps.
Had a Vudoo loved it. Have a Rix X. All the things you say about Vudoo are correct- but I didn't know they invented the .22lr bolt action.

Yeah the mags are much cheaper unless you are comparing the metal mags in which case its a similar price point, if i recall correctly. Just wondering if there is any advantage with going with the RimX vs. the V22.
From the limited research I have done, it seems like the RimX is easier to order pre fit barrels for and install them at your house. Not sure how much I would really use that feature.
I know that the V22 is control round feed and that helps/eliminate the rounds getting dented by the feed ramp.
Is the RimX control round feed as well?
Looking at buying a RimX BA that is being offered with a proof carbon fiber barrel or just ordering a V22 BA from Mile High. Should I go with the Proof carbon barrel or just order a pre fit from another place and install it myself. How much trouble is it for an amateur to install? Ive got a Viper barrel vice and a impact action wrench.
The RimX would be slightly cheaper if I order the barrel separate and install it myself.
I just want to buy something that is plug and play and not have to tune the gun to work as it should.

Thanks

I went with the RimX because of adjustable magazine catches. This makes it really easy to get good feeding from your gun no matter what chassis you choose.

I am really happy with my choice but I don't think there is any way to go wrong with either option.

Reactions: usafa77
I ordered a RimX because I figured a Origin was in the near future for me.
Rim X can't be single fed, if that's of any concern to you.
This was my only concern but I have plenty of single shots and other guns that I could single load If the sport I was shooting requires it.

Reactions: wvlapua
I just want to buy something that is plug and play and not have to tune the gun to work as it should.
Let me start this by saying I have a RimX and two barrels on order (1:16 twist Bartlein from Keystone and 1:12 twist from PVA).

If you are looking for truly plug and play, the Vudoo is likely better. They have one of the best customer service records I have seen and the owner is very active on the forum. Anything is an issue and they will help out immediately, and quite often reach out on this forum it seems. The polymer magazines are also much cheaper. I know a few people who have told me that the bolt can bind if you don't cycle it properly. They follow this up with saying that with practice, this is not a big issue. The Vudoo is also the gun almost everything in the rimfire repeater world is measured against, and for good reason.

The RimX is nice as you can get prefit barrels which are easy to install yourself. This is because the barrels do not have extractor cuts which need to be timed (the Vudoo does have extractor cuts). There are a few people reporting that they are having a few growing pans with the RimX including feeding issues (read the last 5 ish pages on the RimX forum and you'll see the issues and resolutions). The nice thing with the RimX magazines is the adjustable mag catches which if you are using anything other than a MPA chassis is essentially a godsend. The RimX action is also reportedly smoother and more forgiving when cycling. When calling the manufacturer, they are responsive and will help you out but Vudoo's customer service has such an amazing record its tough to beat. Due to the adjustable magazine catches, smoother action, and user changable barrels, I went with a RimX.

It really comes down to whether you are up for some tinkering or not. If not, the Vudoo is likely the better buy. If you are OK with some tinkering, the RimX is likely the better option as you can swap barrels to figure out what you want to do and future proofs the rifle in my opinion.

Either way, you are getting a fantastic rifle. Don't sweat it, just buy one and enjoy it!

I own three V-22s - two that I barreled myself with Krieger blanks, and another that I purchased as a bbl'd action with a Bartlein in Kukri contour. I used a PTG EPS reamer on the two Kriegers, while VGW presumably used Mike Bush's Ravage reamer on the Bartlein Kukri. Based on how the Bartlein Kukri shoots compared to these two Kriegers and one on a converted 40XB - all chambered with the same EPS reamer - I'd like to have my own Ravage reamer.
Since I have no desire to own a chassis, these four rifles are all bedded in Manners stocks, and I've had no need for an adjustable mag latch - they all feed very smoothly, with absolutely no marks on the bullet noses or driving bands after chambering. Have been using the V-22 poly magazines since late 2016 when I had Jonathan Elrod convert a couple of CMP Rem 40X actions to use those mags, and have seen no wear on the feed lips, nor have I had any other issues with them. For $33 (when purchased in 3-mag paks), it's a little painful to spend $125 on RimX mags. I did buy one Vudoo 15rd aluminum mag (only because we have a match director who loves to throw stages that require more than 10rds per position at us), but due to COVID-19, haven't had a chance to use it in a match yet. If you want a plug-and-play system that requires no tinkering, and comes from the maker set up to shoot really well with SK/Lapua ammo, I'd say a V-22 is the easy choice. And as has been mentioned, the customer support at VGW is 2nd to none - I've enjoyed working with Mike, Paul, and Jill very much - it's always a pleasure to call and order something from them, or on a rare occasion when I need advice, to ask for help.

I also own five CF rifles I built on Bighorn & Zermatt TL2 & TL3 actions, and have had excellent experience with both the original Bighorn & later Zermatt customer support. The positive reports on Zermatt's RimX don't surprise me in the least - I'd have expected nothing less from them, based on the experience with my CF rifles.

I have owned a Vudoo and currently own a RimX, you can’t really go wrong with either both companies have excellent customer support just pick one that has the features you want. I particularly liked that in the future the RimX will have other caliber bolt heads available. I would be happy with either, just so happens that I own the RimX.

Vudoo for the simple fact they have most of the bugs worked out due to it being on the market for a few years. The vudoo barreled action (unless you chamber and time a barrel your self) is already set up and ready to go with out having to dick around with barrel vises, action wrenches, chambering a blank, and hoping the smith who chambered it didn’t screw it up. Vudoo’s customer service is awesome, had some issues with mags, they sent out several replacements for me to alleviate some of the feeding issues I was having. But I’m not opposed to having a rim x built by ts customs just to try it out, but I dont for-see myself buying another super high end 22 for a long time. I’m very happy with my Vudoo and if you go that route, I’m sure you will be too.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
can't go wrong with either honestly. but I'm a zermatt guy all the way.

options for the rimX are plentiful but it may take a little more tinkering and knowledge on chamber selection.

CS is a wash. they're probably the best two in the industry

feel i give to the RimX even comparing my new one to an old vudoo.

I own 5 vudoos now. I never thought you could be bit by an upper end 22 bug. But it happens. I have sold 12 rifles between cz tikka etc etc. Not only is the customer service outstanding and good people they are the 22 by which all are measured. Rim X might be just as good but until one ie given to me, it I am spending big money its Vudoo. I own long barrels, sort barrels, carbon fiber barrel, a sporter barrel. They all shot simply amazing. Now tinkering not dicking around. Put good ammo in it and watch them fall intot he same hole. My tinkering days on a bolt gun are over. Buy one, fall in love. You will see.

I have centerfire Bighorn Action and a V-22.
Both are well made and I doubt you wouldn’t be happy with either. That being said Jill at Vudoo is awesome. If you need something it’s as good as done from the time you speak it.
To a point you feel like you just called a friend for a favor. Except this one has your CC info ;)

Reactions: nakoa01
As others have said, I like Vudoo for the less hassle. You can buy a vudoo, order a case of sk standard plus and go win .22 prs/nrl matches tomorrow. Most any other rifle you’ll have to mess with ammo and such first. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I enjoy doing.

Also, vudoo is .22........very few companies solely focus on .22. When it comes to tactical/practical Rimfire, they all but invented it.

I just bought two Aluminum magazi
Yeah the mags are much cheaper unless you are comparing the metal mags in which case its a similar price point, if i recall correctly. Just wondering if there is any advantage with going with the RimX vs. the V22.
From the limited research I have done, it seems like the RimX is easier to order pre fit barrels for and install them at your house. Not sure how much I would really use that feature.
I know that the V22 is control round feed and that helps/eliminate the rounds getting dented by the feed ramp.
Is the RimX control round feed as well?
Looking at buying a RimX BA that is being offered with a proof carbon fiber barrel or just ordering a V22 BA from Mile High. Should I go with the Proof carbon barrel or just order a pre fit from another place and install it myself. How much trouble is it for an amateur to install? Ive got a Viper barrel vice and a impact action wrench.
The RimX would be slightly cheaper if I order the barrel separate and install it myself.

Thanks

I jyst bought two aluminum mags from Vudoo.
They are works of art !! I will however shoot my poly mags most of the time bc they are a
20200919_090052.jpg
20200919_090052.jpg bit smoother. The Vudoo 500 round ammo box is very nice as well. I can nit pick any product but the V22 has been really well thought out. That doesn't mean that the Duece and RimX aren't , but I don't have one in hand to compare yet. I did just pick up a B14r and it is a very nice gun as well and well worth the 890.00$. I did hiwever swap the bolt knob out with a EGW Bergara knob. It is the same as the V22 except it has m6 threads. Super smooth and comfortable.

Attachments

• 20200916_090047.jpg
    20200916_090047.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200917_111212.jpg
    20200917_111212.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 123
HI Jbell,
That is a great picture of the Center X and the Benjamin!

HI Jbell,

The black one is the Bergara and the blue one is my Vudoo in the B14R stock. The factory trigger is heavy but breaks clean. I put my Trigger Tech Diamond in the B14R and it works great. The Vudoo is slated to get a Bix & Andy with the free trigger shoe or a Jewell trigger. Any thoughts? The Benjamin was to give the photo some scale for a friend of mine. She has no idea of what two cases looks like. Small when you see it...

btw... I sent my Vudoo out to Lapua for lot testing. It cost $50.00 and a week without her. It was absolutely worth it.

Very informative read. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 22 and wasn’t sure if I should go vudoo or try the ultimatum deuce.

Are there Deuces out in the wild? Ive not ran across any news of them lately.

Are there Deuces out in the wild? Ive not ran across any news of them lately.
By the looks of the videos they posted the action isn't very smooth and have to slam the bolt closed.

By the looks of the videos they posted the action isn't very smooth and have to slam the bolt closed.
They posted this the other day. That was a question I had too.

Ive seen a couple of the rimx now and they are incredibly smooth. But I think that having the magazines set to the action make the biggest difference as some vudoos are just as smooth some not quite as smooth.

I've been running a Vudoo for a little over a year now. Shoots great, had some extracting issues in the beginning. Stopped extracting altogether this summer. They turned the bolt around so fast it made my head spin! Great customer service for sure. Just picked up a barreled RimX today. I did some testing on a prototype and had some issues that have since been resolved. I need to get it put together and do some more testing. Time will tell. I like the fact a barrel just screws on and your good to go. Pre fits are just a call away.