• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VA/MD/SW PA training ranges or land leasing?

chillindrdude

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
NOVA
Having been bitten by the LR shooting bug, I am looking for a range or 400+ acre land lease to practice shooting steel at out to 800-1000 yds. Must be within 3hrs driving from DC. Suggestions appreciated

Re: VA/MD/SW PA training ranges or land leasing?

This is the $64,000 question. Where can I shoot in one of the most highly developed areas in the country.

If you're looking for a training day that can't be beat, talk to Ed Shell with Central Virginia Tactical. He's down in Louisa (next to Mineral), about an hour's drive south through Culpeper.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Ed's a regular here. I've known him for a long time. He's the best teacher I've ever known, bar none. He'll get you out to 1000 yards and farther if you want.

Thanks for the link but a tad too far for regular day trips. Anyone else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the $64,000 question. Where can I shoot in one of the most highly developed areas in the country.

If you're looking for a training day that can't be beat, talk to Ed Shell with Central Virginia Tactical. He's down in Louisa (next to Mineral), about an hour's drive south through Culpeper.

Ed's a regular here. I've known him for a long time. He's the best teacher
I've ever known, bar none. He'll get you out to 1000 yards and farther if you want.</div></div>

I just wrapped up a 2 day session with him last week. Immensely educational and valuable. Ed is knowledgeable and a great instructor. If you reside in the DC metro area, and want to get trained up, Ed is the guy to see

The property he shoots on is ideal. Land of that size and location are going for 1mil to buy. Since i am not rich, i d love to find a landowner open to leasing.

I would think its a win win, monthly income with minimal effort, and i get a place to shoot multiple steel targets at different ranges.

One can dream...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the $64,000 question. Where can I shoot in one of the most highly developed areas in the country.

Ed's a regular here. I've known him for a long time. He's the best teacher I've ever known, bar none. He'll get you out to 1000 yards and farther if you want. </div></div>

If you want to shoot LR, you've really got two good options outside of paying for a lease somewhere (good luck finding one). The first is joining Peacemaker National Training Center in WV (1.5 hours from DC). That will cost you $200/year and you'll have a range out to 1000 yards. Here's the link: Peacemaker National Training Center.

The second option is to get scheduled with Ed Shell. He'll take you out and you'll shoot from 100 out to 1250 or so on Ed's range. He's a great instructor and the best spotter I've ever seen. Here's a 3-shot group out of a Gradous 7WSM from my last class with Ed:

1z1fkg4.jpg

I've lived in DC for about 2 years and have constantly struggled to figure out how I was going to keep up my LR skills. Peacemaker + Ed has worked well for me.

Chillindrdue- I've been contemplating a day trip out to Peacemaker from here in NoVa myself. Hit me on PM if you want to link up for a run out there sometime in the next few weeks.

what about the place in louisa with the 1000 yard range ? forget the name, sorry.

I highly recommend Peacemaker as well... Cole (the owner) does offer private Long Range classes that are well worth it, he knows his stuff, but he is no Ed Shell (nor does he pretend to be, nor does he cost as much). The facilites are top notch there, i honestly can say this, its the best $200 I have ever spent to become a member, and having been a member for a few months, when it cost $500 to join 6 months ago, i still think it would have been worth it... I really like that place.