• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision **Value of a PVS 7b night vision goggle?

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
Question for the more knowledgeable.

What's the value of a set of PVS 7b goggles?

Or is there more info I need to gather?

Thanks guys

Jake

Generation
Type of tube ( which will give you generation)
Blemishes (image quality)
Condition of the lenses and body

That's the major stuff, unless I'm missing something :rolleyes:

5-10 years "if" it's USGI without a DRMO end use cert (DLA form 1822). Now if it's after market, go to gunbroker and e-bay to see what they go for. Buying any NV from a second or third party is just to iffy, unless the seller has the receipt from TNVC or the like. This coming from the guy that lost a CCO to CID. Bought it on e-bay :(

5-10 years "if" it's USGI without a DRMO end use cert (DLA form 1822). Now if it's after market, go to gunbroker and e-bay to see what they go for. Buying any NV from a second or third party is just to iffy, unless the seller has the receipt from TNVC or the like. This coming from the guy that lost a CCO to CID. Bought it on e-bay :(

CCO? cid?

That would be an Army issue aimpoint (CCO M68). CID would be Criminal Investigation Command. They look at auction sites for stolen stuff. In my case (long story short) a supply soldier at Bragg sold some stolen scopes, was caught and the Army tracked the buyers down.

I see good ones for 2000-3000. I've seen em go cheaper many places but I haven't looked through one of them. All the ones I looked through for the high prices did look really good. I payed 3400+TAX for a used pvs14 with no paperwork but it is the clearest one I ever seen. I would like to see some of the ones I see go for 1000-2000 cause they might be just as good. THe real wide prices of NVD's make me question a lot of things.

You served 5-10 years for having a stolen CCO? What that is rough. Most folks get off with just having it confiscated.

The PVS-7B isn't as desirable as a PVS-14 to many people, so the resale value is lower. I have seen them go for $1000 to $1800. The $1000 either had gen 2 tubes in it or very early gen 3. The $1800 were factory commercial units with nice late model gen 3 tubes in it. The majority I have seen are in the $1500 range. I've seen a few people ask $2000-2200 for a PVS-7B, but I don't think they had much luck.

The PVS-7B is a great unit and I really like mine. I prefer it to my PVS-14, but I am not doing anything more dangerous that riding a mountain bike with it. It is comfortable and dual rear lens is less stressful on my eyes when observing things for long periods of time (like star gazing). So while it is a great way to get into a nice gen 3 unit, the resale value isn't as good as a PVS-14. But as long as you buy in low, you can resale low and not lose much.

I love my 14 don't get me wrong but I still prefer the comfort of using a 7 over both eyes. It was what I was issued and got my feet wet on. Couple of my good friends have sets and I love using them still. Obviously the 14 beats it in terms of versatility and weight but 7's still have a place in my stable. If I ever get a chance to get another set cheap I will.

I hate 7's with a passion. I would do some terrible things to sport a 14 over the 7's. Im kind of lying, if the price was right I'd get a set, but I'm around three little girls and a wife all day, so the whole concept of being dramatic to make a point is wearing off on me.

I do not like 7's for driving, fighting, wearing for extended periods of time with a poor helmet (ach...a nice helmet makes 7's a much nicer piece of gear IMO), walking, or transitioning between light and dark areas such as in a city or in and out of buildings on short notice.

Things that 7's are good at is sitting in a lawn chair that has a high enough back so that your head can rest on it while you stargaze, prolonged observation from a fixed position, using handheld with a magnifier, and getting in to Gen3 at a more affordable price than 14's.

PVS 7s with magnification make an INCREDIBLE long range observation platform! Add a 3X, 5X 6X (my favorite) or even a 10X and you have a platform you can really reach out with. What we do is put an iphone adapter on the right eyepiece, then look through the left eyepiece with your right eye and you can film WHILE looking at your subject directly! This is what 7s excel at!

PVS 7s with magnification make an INCREDIBLE long range observation platform! Add a 3X, 5X 6X (my favorite) or even a 10X and you have a platform you can really reach out with. What we do is put an iphone adapter on the right eyepiece, then look through the left eyepiece with your right eye and you can film WHILE looking at your subject directly! This is what 7s excel at!

That sounds awesome Pete!!