• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Van Orden Sniper stolen

BSully

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
ATLANTA, GA USA
Rifle belonged to a good friend, he got the rifle from me. Was stolen the afternoon he was moved to Hospice. The rifle was in the living room when the family left, it was gone when they returned. My Friend passed soon after and I am trying to help the family. A police report has been filed with the Cumming Police Department ( Cumming, GA) and the rifle entered into NCIC.

Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, heavy / target barrel in a sporter checkered stock mounted with a Unertl target scope and target sights,

Serial number 220285

Any help would be appreciated. Contact the Cumming PD or PM here if you have any information.

Only firearm taken but was the only firearm out. Hate to think any of the EMS folks took it. He was very selective of who he spoke firearms with and was even more private about his illness and its progression. A small circle of suspects for sure. No signs of forced entry and nothing else disturbed.

That is bull shit! I hate people who steal! Best of luck with finding the person and nailing their ass to the wall...

Sorry to read this. I 've also read that 70,000 guns a year are stolen! If you have not already done so, spread the word far and wide. Area pawn shops, area gun shops, local paper. And even internet. If thief tries selling it you have some chance of finding out. Good luck and again so sorry. I hate thieves if I hate anything.

A rifle is not an easy thing to swipe without being noticed unless you're alone.

It's very likely that none of the EMS workers was there on his own, without partners, so while they are all suspects it's not likely an EMS dude took it.

My money is on a relative.

Reactions: LG65CM
100% family member stole it. Someone younger that thinks they can sell it or another gun person who knows what it is.

No, they have no idea what it is and will take $75 for it at any venue willing to pay.

Pawn shops are risky as in most places they are required to enter incoming items into CJIS/NICs if it has identifiers on it.

The fastest turnaround for the fastest access to self medication is all that the thief cares about very often.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Only question I have, because I basically know who it was, is how did they get into the house and what family member/family friend who is a shitbird, wasn't accounted for at the time? You'd do well by calling who you suspect (I bet it is pretty obvious) and asking if they know anything and passively mentioning that the local police, ATF and FBI are apparently getting involved and whoever stole it is going away for a LOOOOOOONG time. See what happens.

Put an ad up on CL and your local facebook looking for vintage sniper rifles, paying top $$$. Set up burner number.

This is how my gun club in Florida caught a guy who stole some custom wildcat one of a kind rifle out of the clubhouse. He went to sell it and ended up meeting the police.

Only question I have, because I basically know who it was, is how did they get into the house and what family member/family friend who is a shitbird, wasn't accounted for at the time? You'd do well by calling who you suspect (I bet it is pretty obvious) and asking if they know anything and passively mentioning that the local police, ATF and FBI are apparently getting involved and whoever stole it is going away for a LOOOOOOONG time. See what happens.

Put an ad up on CL and your local facebook looking for vintage sniper rifles, paying top $$$. Set up burner number.

This is how my gun club in Florida caught a guy who stole some custom wildcat one of a kind rifle out of the clubhouse. He went to sell it and ended up meeting the police.
The problem with giving the dirtbag a warning like this (telling your personal suspect about the heavy pressure going into finding the firearm), is that then they will be motivated to either destroy it or bury it,/throw it in the ocean/river. Any of which ruins any chance of this very personal item becoming any sort of legacy.

Reactions: davidb187
A rifle is not an easy thing to swipe without being noticed unless you're alone.

It's very likely that none of the EMS workers was there on his own, without partners, so while they are all suspects it's not likely an EMS dude took it.

My money is on a relative.

This.

My father-in-law lives in a rural area in another state and he said that under NO circumstances are we to post a death announcement when he dies. He said as soon as word gets out that someone dies the vultures descend and grab whatever they can get their hands on.

He told me where he hides his rifles so I told him I'd take care of them if the scumbags don't get to them first.

Reactions: Kilosierra
if it was there when the family left but gone when they got back, I would start with the person who "noticed" it gone first. I would eliminate all women just because typically they couldn't tell you what it is or how to handle one. I would rule out the EMS as they typically aren't the kind of people you have to worry about and I would assume they left before the family left.

not sure how many "suspects" you have nor their demeanor but it shouldn't be hard to read a person if you already have them as a suspect. I would add pressure to whoever knew/mentioned/handled/eyeballed the gun the most. someone knew the right opportunity to go in and steal the gun therefore they knew the family schedule. I'm no Joe Kenda but this shouldn't be hard to track down IMO.

Reactions: gatorbait308
Due to the circumstances the family avenue is, probably a mute point. I am sure if the "borrowed" rifle was returned via one of the avenues available there would be no questions asked.

Rifle "located" by family. Was found in the house. Not where it was originally when they left the house but in a case not used for the rifle and not where the other rifles were stored. It was in a location where firearms were not stored. House had been searched for the rifle prior to reporting and was not where it was found during that search...... None the less, thanks for all the contacts, thoughts and concerns!

Only firearm taken but was the only firearm out. Hate to think any of the EMS folks took it. He was very selective of who he spoke firearms with and was even more private about his illness and its progression. A small circle of suspects for sure. No signs of forced entry and nothing else disturbed.
Family members with access and a drug problem. Check local pawn shops.

It's tough to think like that of family members, but emotions cloud judgement... as do drugs.....

Rifle "located" by family. Was found in the house. Not where it was originally when they left the house but in a case not used for the rifle and not where the other rifles were stored. It was in a location where firearms were not stored. House had been searched for the rifle prior to reporting and was not where it was found during that search...... None the less, thanks for all the contacts, thoughts and concerns!
Hmmmmmmmmmm....... what a shocker........

I'd forgotten all about this. Glad the rifle was "found" but still seems mighty suspicious. If there hadn't been such a search 'n' all over it, probably wouldn't have been seen again.

Reactions: clcustom1911