• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

varget and 308 loads

jmontgomery

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
dexter mo
what loads are you guys using with varget for 308.The bullet i will be using is the 175 matchking with a 20'' barrel.i also have alot of once fired brass all different makes but i am going to sort it and use one brand.

varget and 308 loads

Look in the .308 loads section. They're all there. 42-45 is the spread, depending on chamber and seating depth. If your rifle doesn't shoot well with any reasonable Varget load you have a gun problem. Personally, I would also try 4895 and BLC(2) in a 20" barrel, but Varget will work fine.

i bought the rifle originally to just shoot subsonic. I then started reloading and wanted to get into long range shooting so i have some loads worked up with 180grn noslers but they are running slow 2400fps or so with 41.0 grns varget. My rifle is getting a new barrel,stock and receiver work at the moment and i am needing some new load data im going to seat prob to mag length.Iknow reloading supplies in my area are still hard to come by but i will be testing other powders like you mentioned. Also heard someone talk about H4350 i believe it was ill have to double check on that like i said im new to long range shooting and have only been reloading for a little over a year.

I'm running 44.5 of varget in winchester brass. 210m and 175smk. 20" 1-12 sps chrono'd at 2581. Can't give coal because I seat ogive. Its at 2.265. Ill check the overall length when I get home. Its right at mag length but I'm running an alpha type 1. I had a sweet spot from 44.2-44.8 during my ocw.

I'm using black hills brass. My brain was tracking something else for some reason. Although I've heard black hills brass is actually Winchester. I haven't checked water volume.

Black Hills is/was made by Winchester, doesn't mean they are identical.

I'm running 44.5 of varget in winchester brass. 210m and 175smk. 20" 1-12 sps chrono'd at 2581. Can't give coal because I seat ogive. Its at 2.265. Ill check the overall length when I get home. Its right at mag length but I'm running an alpha type 1. I had a sweet spot from 44.2-44.8 during my ocw.

44.5 runs well in my 20in tube with 175 SMK's, But I brought it down to 44.0 so I can get more space in my case seated at mag length to fit the Hornady 178gr BTHP & Amax. The Idea was to Interchange between the three so depending on availability I can use what I can get my hands on. All three seem to be doing the same so far for my Elevation/wind adjustments, but have not used them beyond 400 Yards. I do get slightly better accuracy with the 175's though.

Last edited:
44.5 runs well in my 20in tube with 175 SMK's, But I brought it down to 44.0 so I can get more space in my case seated at mag length to fit the Hornady 178gr BTHP & Amax. The Idea was to Interchange between the three so depending on availability I can use what I can get my hands on. All three seem to be doing the same so far for my Elevation/wind adjustments, but have not used them beyond 400 Yards. I do get slightly better accuracy with the 175's though.

I'm in the same boat. I've only stretched the 175's and 178's to 300. Waiting for a good day to drive to a place that has 1k potential. I'm running 44.5 in both the 175smk and 178amax. I chrono'd the 175's and used adjusted mv on shooter by entering dope at 2 and 300 with 178amax. It says 2531 which kinda makes sense being its a tad heavier. I didn't figure 3gr would drop 50fps.Someday I chrono to verify .

What does your reloading manual give you for loads? Start there and work up for your rifle. What is best in mine may not be the best in yours. I run max loads in some of my firearms, and lower loads in others. Unless I am trying to reach out to 1,000 yards I load for accuracy. Sometimes it is the max load, sometimes it is not.

I'm running 42.5 g Varget with a 168 smk at 2500 fps. I show no pressure signs going up to 44.5g but this 42.5g load is the most accurate and easy on brass.

44.5grns seems like a lot of varget. I would think if you dump that into a case it would be compressed.I guess I will try a couple different loads when I get my gun back from the smith.

44.5grns seems like a lot of varget. I would think if you dump that into a case it would be compressed.I guess I will try a couple different loads when I get my gun back from the smith.

It comes up to just the bottom of the case neck. In may compress slightly depending upon seating depth. Nothing wrong with compressing within safe limits. I'm running Lapua and the 175 SMK's. 44.4 Varget with a CCI LR primer is my best node with that bullet.

Good Luck,

RMD

I run 44gr. Varget under a 185 berger juggernaut set out long. Some primer dimpling. 20" barrel 1/10 twist. Very accurate at 1000 yards.

43.8 gr varget with a 175 smk lapua brass 2.200 ogive 26" barrel 1:10 twist very accurate

I must have a real tight chamber, because 43.6grs Varget pushing little 168s, although very accurate, is ragged edge in my rifle. Lapua brass, so that factors in. 2830fps average, which is screamin' for 308.

I'm running g 44.8gr and still have alot of room in there, with winchester brass. Compressed is more like 48+ for my load, as I recently found out when I accidently replaced my 4 with an 8 whole loading :x