• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Varget and 52gr. SMK in 223 ?

Should be plenty of room.

I have loaded the 52 Gr bullets from other manufacturers and they worked out O.K. You start getting tight at about 26.5 Gr Varget in a LC case.

Hodgdon data shows max 27 grains of Varget with a 53 grain bullet getting velocity around 3380. That is a compressed load. I know it will work but my thinking is that Varget is just a bit too slow for that bullet to give max performance.
Also, take note that rduckwor is giving you a clue about what brass you will be using and factoring in case volume.

I might stick with H4895 for now and perhaps find some BL-C2 to try. I get 3300 with room to spare and all my brass is Lapua.
I agree that the Varget may not be worth using for this though It would be handy inventory wise.

My pet load was 24.5 gr varget with 52 gr berger varmint bullet when i loaded for it.... using varget of course.... i think theres better powders for small calibers like mentioned above.

my Ar's love the 52 SMk at mag length in any brass with 26 gr of varget, I load tons of those every year.

25.5 gr of Varget w/53gr SMK. Is my Blaser's favorite! Crony shows just under 3000fps. 1/2 moa, 2.250 col.