• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget for AR-15 .223/5.56

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
I've read randomly all over the web that Varget is not a good powder for an AR-15. I'm about to buy one and of course I want to stamp out my own rounds and I'd love to use the same powder for all my loading..so...thoughts on Varget in a semi-auto???

Thanks

~Mac

Re: Varget for AR-15 .223/5.56

I use 26.0g varget with Montana Gold 55gr FMJ for 3000FPS out of my 20" AR. Works great. A friend uses Ramshot TAC for a very similar load. The TAC meters better through Dillon b/c it is a ball powder. Also has slightly less flash at night than Varget. Varget is a pain to drive in my Dillon 650, but I have a ton of it.

Thanks, Tim. I suppose you're lightly crimping your rounds as well, right?

~Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget is all I use in my AR. Works great with 55g, might be good with others, but I haven't bothered to try.</div></div>

Humble284,

I can't wait not to use 43 grains of powder (for my .308) for each load! Gonna love saving some cash!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humble284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 26.0g varget </div></div>

Curious what brass your running with those Varget loads?

Varget is great for the loads I want accuracy from and don't mind taking time to load them. I run H335 for fmj ammo because ball powder meters SO much nicer in a progressive press.

Varget has good velocity, but you'll never get anywhere near the max with 55s because the case won't hold 27+ grains of powder. I bet Varget would work great with 69s or 75s, though.

I'd try a faster stick powder for 55s.

Personally I use ball powder with 55s, but I don't shoot them beyond 200 yards.

I'm using a 75 gr BTHP, 24.1g Varget, 2.262" OAL, CCI 400 primers. Great load. Varget does seem to shine when placed under heavier bullets though. YMMV
-Perf

Somebody needs to talk Hodgdon into releasing a Varget SC version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somebody needs to talk Hodgdon into releasing a Varget SC version. </div></div>

hmmmm.... verrrrrrrry interesting....

I run Varget in my AR. 25grains with the 55fmj and I dont crimp either. I run whatever primers I have and whatever brass I can find that is in decent shape. Hell I pick up brass at the range and FL it and run it. My AR is for fun so im not going for extreme accuracy like I am with the 308. Its not a princess and it doesnt get treated like one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrgreentie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read randomly all over the web that Varget is not a good powder for an AR-15. I'm about to buy one and of course I want to stamp out my own rounds and I'd love to use the same powder for all my loading..so...thoughts on Varget in a semi-auto???

Thanks

~Mac
</div></div>

WHat you've read is nonsense. I have read posts from some very adamant guys out there who swear up and down that varget is too slow and will blow up your AR. The giveaway that they are talking shit is that a couple of them stated that they use RL-15 for their favorite AR loads. Hmmm, don't varget and RL-15 have very similar burn rates?

I use 25.3gr Varget, Lake City Brass, Wolf .223 primers, and 75gr Hornaday Match bullets. Shoots quite well with reasonable velocity and no pressure signs. Varget is a bit slow for lighter bullets.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the new IMR 8208 XBR. This is supposed to burn slightly faster than Varget and be very temperature insensitive.

--Rootshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The giveaway that they are talking shit is that a couple of them stated that they use RL-15 for their favorite AR loads. Hmmm, don't varget and RL-15 have very similar burn rates? </div></div>

I consulted 3 burn rate charts and two list Reloder 15 as slower, and one as faster than Varget.

Given the load data, I'd think that RL-15 is faster burning than Varget.

Whoever told you too slow of a powder will blow a gun up is an idiot. Too slow a powder might give you lots of velocity spread and unburned powder in your gun, but too slow a powder is way safer than too fast. If you don't believe me, put a few dozen grains of pistol powder in a rifle case with a heavy bullet and let me know how your rifle looks afterward.

IMR 8208 XBR is slightly faster than H4895, a bit faster than Varget. However, It'll probably work for what you want - be sure to post up some results. Grains are sized about the size of Benchmark. It meters pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The giveaway that they are talking shit is that a couple of them stated that they use RL-15 for their favorite AR loads. Hmmm, don't varget and RL-15 have very similar burn rates? </div></div>

I consulted 3 burn rate charts and two list Reloder 15 as slower, and one as faster than Varget.

Whoever told you too slow of a powder will blow a gun up is an idiot. Too slow a powder might give you lots of velocity spread and unburned powder in your gun, but too slow a powder is way safer than too fast. If you don't believe me, put a few dozen grains of pistol powder in a rifle case with a heavy bullet and let me know how your rifle looks afterward.</div></div>

The logic behind their argument had something to do with the timing of the bolt disengagement. I don't remember exactly what they were talking about because I pretty much dismissed it after concluding that the argument was illogical due to their preferred powder choice. Anyway, I think Varget is a fine powder to use for an AR, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. It has also yielded pretty good accuracy so far, so I see no reason to switch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The giveaway that they are talking shit is that a couple of them stated that they use RL-15 for their favorite AR loads. Hmmm, don't varget and RL-15 have very similar burn rates? </div></div>

Whoever told you too slow of a powder will blow a gun up is an idiot. Too slow a powder might give you lots of velocity spread and unburned powder in your gun, but too slow a powder is way safer than too fast. If you don't believe me, put a few dozen grains of pistol powder in a rifle case with a heavy bullet and let me know how your rifle looks afterward.</div></div>

The logic behind their argument had something to do with the timing of the bolt disengagement. I don't remember exactly what they were talking about because I pretty much dismissed it after concluding that the argument was illogical due to their preferred powder choice. Anyway, I think Varget is a fine powder to use for an AR, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. It has also yielded pretty good accuracy so far, so I see no reason to switch. </div></div>

The bullet is long gone before the bolt ever moves, so that is nonsense, too.

To the other poster, I crimp with the Lee FCD for my AR.

Varget and Reloader 15 are fairly close, look at your manuals an compare the loads. The chart I have lists Varget as slower than Reloader 15, but they are next to each other. H335 is faster.

I own 3 AR-15s and Varget is pretty much the only powder that I have used for all of them.