• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget.....Has anyone seen Varget?

Scoby

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2010
Upstate SC
Title pretty much sums it up.
I can't find it anywhere.
Anyone know where a guy might get his hands on some?

I'm in the same boat. I lucked out and picked up the last 3 pounders the dude had at a gun show about a month ago. Otherwise, it has been a unicorn.

Get on the backorder list with MidSouthShooters.com. According to the last flyer I got in the mail from them, they get Hodgdon powder in about every 3 weeks. I was on the backorder list for a couple months, and the wait rewarded me with 2 - 8 lb. jugs. You can always cancel your order if you find some sooner somewhere else..

Get on the backorder list with MidSouthShooters.com. According to the last flyer I got in the mail from them, they get Hodgdon powder in about every 3 weeks. I was on the backorder list for a couple months, and the wait rewarded me with 2 - 8 lb. jugs. You can always cancel your order if you find some sooner somewhere else..

Yeah, I'm on the "now in stock" email list at a couple of places.
I actually have a brass and bullet order with MidSouth that is supposed to deliver tomorrow.

Got 10 lbs from Third Generation Shooters about 1month ago
It was in stock for about 15 minutes. If your taking
A dump when you see it, don't wipe, order!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm on several email lists and am watching several sites but haven't gotten any, I just got on the backordered list as well.

Two different vendors has 8-1 pounders each at local gun show, but would not sell it all to one person, ME.

Bought what they would sell me and one said he had 8 pounders coming next week and he is holding one for me.

If they come in anyone in East Texas that needs Varget, let me know and I will try to pick up another 8 pounder. If he will let me have two. Too much hazmet fee to ship.

Walked into a large ACE Hardware yesterday. One that actually has a pretty good gun/sporting goods section but usually very little in the way of reloading components.
Wouldn't you know, there sat two pounds of Varget. Bought both of them.

It appears. You have to keep looking

I walked into a Walmart in SW VA early October, and they had 3 pounds on the shelf. 1 pound limit, but my wife was with me, so got two. I decided to be nice and leave the other one, instead of going back the next morning to pick it up.

I have 25# of it and picking up another 16# this weekend.

5yzunuze.jpg

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

I saw about 100lbs about 2 weeks ago and got 8. It was local though they won't ship and I paid a little too much, however I needed it. It's out there, you just gotta look and be willing to pay a little more if that's what it takes.

IMG_20131129_120849_136.jpg

What I have been seeing with powder is one person buying every pound of powder that the store has.I saw one person buy six 8# containers of H4350,thats all the store had of it and I needed some.He said it was all for himself and would not even sale me one container.How many years do you think that would last him?When I find some I buy what I need and leave the rest for another shooter.That powder will probably go bad before he could possibly use it.

Go bad? When have you had powder go bad?

But I agree with you, I buy what I need, and if there is more, I leave it for others who may need it.

What I have been seeing with powder is one person buying every pound of powder that the store has.I saw one person buy six 8# containers of H4350,thats all the store had of it and I needed some.He said it was all for himself and would not even sale me one container.How many years do you think that would last him?When I find some I buy what I need and leave the rest for another shooter.That powder will probably go bad before he could possibly use it.

Here's the thing with bench rest shooters if that guy was one. Once we find a load with a particular powder and lot number we prefer to find all the powder we can in that lot number and buy as much as we can afford. Now I'm sure this guy will burn out a barrel or two before he uses up all the powder he purchased.
Another scenario would he just don't ever want to be caught like this again what we all have been thru in the past year and half. I myself fit in both categories so I am buying all same lot numbers and as much as I can afford in primers powder and bullets. I've built a special underground bunker thats 12'x12' and have been storing all this now for the past 2 yrs and for ammo I've been buying and storing for past 10 yrs.

The thing about "hoarding" is that someone has as much right to purchase as much as they want as anyone else does. I dont begrudge any man from buying all the powder, primers, or bullets he can, as many of us are doing the same thing, and have been doing it since long before this current mess.

I have 25# of it and picking up another 16# this weekend.

5yzunuze.jpg

And this is why most of us can't find any... I loaded 150 .308 last night which leaves me with about 3 lbs out of 24 I bought 1.5 years ago.

Been looking for 10 months and the only Varget I have seen in stock was 1 lbs with a limit of one or two (not worth the Hazmat) or 8lbs for $179+... There is almost no powder in stock around San Diego (I was told by a LGS they are limited to 30lbs in stock by the sheriff so finding specific powder in stock locally is nigh impossible). Price gouging should be a crime. Where is Hillary to start a congressional inquiry like when gas prices shot up? ;)

I have 16lbs on backorder at midsouth (only discovered that path last month).

I have never had any go bad,but I have seen some that has.I shoot every week weather permitting [bench rest] and like to have supplies on hand to do so.Believe me I know what a struggle it has been to find components.But I also think about the next guy thats coming in the door behind me having the same problems.

I've also been looking for Varget for a while now, as have a number of my shooting friends in the greater Denver metro area. I've found none in at least 10 months, and I'm down to my last 1-pounder. Things are looking bleak right now, and I checked three stores tonight (and the clerk laughed at me in two of them when I asked what the chances were of finding Varget there).

The only place I've seen Varget was asking nearly $50/lb, which is a price I simply will not pay (because I don't want to support the reseller who keeps cleaning out store shelves so that they can charge me double to retail price for the stuff).

It sucks here in Colorado, powder-wise.

In the last 10 months, I have bought Varget at least 3 times online.

And once in a shop (Walmart).

You have to keep looking and be quick.

Yeah I think I'd consider that guy an ass but, it is his right I suppose.

2 pounds of powder is not a lot of powder and I'm working on some load development.
I've been looking for a month to find it and when I did I bought what I thought would last me until I possibly need more.
If they'd of had 10 pounds I don't know that I'd of bought any more than two.

I picked up 7 pounds online yesterday it shipped today, supposed to be a pound limit but didn't know at the time, think I ordered their last 7, they were out when I went back immediately to order some more H4350. Anyway, I went back to 4064 for my 308 loads, I forgot how good 4064 was, its as good as Varget for me and my 5 308's. Varget will be used for 123 SMK's out the 260.

I looked for like 2 months (even went to a gun show) to no avail. Then one day I just happened to swing by my LGS and there was a 8lb jug sitting on the counter. Walked right over and hugged it. Thought about licking it/peeing on it just to be safe.

Just saw over 100 lbs sitting on the shelves at Grand Forks Scheels about mid Nov and there was still about 75 of it left last week. It's out there.

None around here either. I traded a good man some other powders to get a 1lb container.

I just bought an 8#4064 jug from Butch's reloading in Alb.,

Anyone care to share a decent load using 4064?
I'll be using LC brass, CCI primers and some 155 scenars....
Rifles are Remington SPS tactical 20" .308....
Thanks

When I was looking for some a few months ago, I had about 10 online vendors saved, and checked 4X per day. Also, need to check their facebook pages (esp powder valley), then be quick. Helps if you have some other eyes looking also who can call you if some becomes available, and then work as a small group to buy, and of course split the hazmat cost. My brother bought one 8lb jug of 4064 last week, totaled about $190 with shipping and hazmat. When I bought a few months before, I got 20lb varget, 8lb cfe and 8lb pistol powder on one hazmat, and sold him what he needed, dropped the total cost per pound down by about $5/lb or so because the hazmat was split on a much larger order.