• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget shelf life

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
Did not want to step on the other thread.
How long can my three 8lb. Sealed jugs be kept for use and expect same as current performance? These are cool, dry in the house stored.

2 years 3 months 4days and 56 seconds, LOL no one can answer that question with any accuracy.
When you are ready to use it open it and inspect it for any deterioration.

With that said, I just went through 2 one pound cans of Dupont IMR4831 from 1983 it ran fine in my 6mm creedmoor.

Reactions: SporterII
I've been using h335 out of cardboard containers that were stored in a shed for who knows how long. Never got wet, still works fine. I'm guessing they're from the 70's.

I recently used some H4895 that had been in a controlled environment for ... 15-20 years, and it worked just fine. FWIW

Reactions: SporterII
I have recently loaded H4895, easily 6 yrs old and 52 SMKs were stacking nicely.
I guess I could have my spare 8tw. Broughton chambered for another 5000 223 rds.

I'm still using some Hodgdon 4831 from WWII. Just finished up using some Alcan 5 from the 1950's in some hand gun ammo. Powder can last a very long time when it is kept under controlled conditions.

Your Australian made Varget is not going to go bad anytime soon.

If it's dry and moderately temperature stable probably damn near forever. They're still shooting 50 Cal ammo that was loaded in the 40s during WWII.

Reactions: LRDD
I have used powder for competitive shooting that is more than 10 yrs old. Still shoots great.

Like everyone has said, keep it dry. If it makes you feel better, take a roll of electrical tape and wrap the caps tight.

Don’t worry those 75 Amax’s and Varget are still going good use and neither have gone bad.

Thanks again!

When I read this topic here, I was reminded of a thread where some 110 year old Egyptian milsurp 8x57 was pulled down and the OP used the recovered powder to test some .308Win loads and others. I was impressed. The Mideast is not known for hospitable climates or appropriate munitions storage methods.

The thread took me a while to find, it's almost 2 years old:

Egyptian-Powder.jpg

When I read this topic here, I was reminded of a thread where some 110 year old Egyptian milsurp 8x57 was pulled down and the OP used the recovered powder to test some .308Win loads and others. I was impressed. The Mideast is not known for hospitable climates or appropriate munitions storage methods.

The thread took me a while to find, it's almost 2 years old:

Egyptian-Powder.jpg
WOW comes to mind...

I had an 8 lb jug of Varget that I just used last year to load a bucket of 223. The price tag was still on and it was $120.

Oh, the ammo shoots just fine.