• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget users.

goatliver

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2010
Quebec, Canada
I have just finished my first batch of varget, and now starting a second lot. I am reloading for .308 with Lapua brass and CCI BR2. Has varget gotten better with inconsistencies? How much fine tuning can I expect to do with my loads?

Thank in advance.

Re: Varget users.

What inconsistencies? There were a couple of lots a few years ago that were slower than others but I have gone lot to lot and never changed my load and gotten basically the same performance. You should be fine.

I use a lot of Varget and I have always been real happy with it.
I am using 168gr Amax, 44gr Varget , CCI BR2 and winchester .308 case.
It works so well in my .308 that I have no plans of ever changing it.
I have not herd or seen any inconsistencies?

Been using Varget for several years, and have never seen any inconsistencies. My preferred load is 168gr AMAX, WLR, Lapua brass, and 42.5gr of Varget. I get between 2650 and 2700 on the crony depending upon temperature, and a consistent 5 shot group.

Allways reduce your load by at least 5% just to be safe and work
up to your original load. That way no surprises.I don't trust any
manufacturer enough to not back down on a new lot of powder.

The guys I shoot with, we all use it. Four Remington 700s(.308 Wins) and all like the same load. 168 grn Amaxs on top of 45 grns of Varget. Been shooting it for years. Wish my new 260 ack.
liked it!

I ran into a new jug to old jug "irregularity" that gave me hot loads.

But after a couple reload batches, the new jug accumulated just enough added humidity that the static electricity went down and the new jug started acting just like the old jug.

I shot 24#s of Varget and thought it was very consistent. I am now @ 17#s in to RE 15 and like it better simply for metering reasons for both 7.62 and 5.56. I recently bought 8#s of TAC for 5.56 loads but I will likely work up some 7.62s as well. TAC is really something from a metering perspective as it is a ball powder.

Good luck

I learned the hard way not to trust Varget from lot to lot. BUt the, I dont trust ANY powder lot to lot. Just too easy to test a new batch and also too easy to mess things up if you dont. Got some toasted Lapua brass to prove it on the last lot. :-(

I've gone through a little over 10lbs of varget and its always been very consistent with the exception of one 1lb bottle I bought last year. It was very temp sensitive, more so than a lot of other powders that show temp inconsistency. It was bad enough to throw groups off by 1" at 100 yards. I posted about the problem here to see if anyone else had ever experienced it and no one seemed to believe that the powder could have possibly been the problem. However, I determined it definitely was after using an infrared thermometer and a chrono. Like I said though that was one pound out 10 and I've yet to hear of the same problem since. It did'nt deter me from continuing to use the powder, I just check to make sure its not the same lot# as the pound that had problems.

So far its been consistant for me... Il see how it changes this summer when the temps reach brain fryingly hot levels

I headed that one off at the pass by pouring 7 lbs. from multiple lots (all I could get at the time) into one empty 8-lb. Varget jug. Then gently turned it upside down a few times and mixed it all together.