• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    Just opened new 8# jug of varget loaded the same charge I have been loading 44.6 and the groups went from 3/8 to 7/8. This different Lot # but has anyone seen this much of a difference in lot #s or is this normal.

Varget has had a history of lot to lot variations. What are you chrono speeds? Sure you weren't having a bad day, or the bore wasn't fouled?

Chris

The speed was 2680 this load was running 2730 using the same chrono. I thought it might be me cleaned barrel shot 20 more same results, I am going to try bumping up load to 44.7 and see if groups tighten up this weekend. POI was also low from zero.

If speed was higher with new lot number.... wouldn't you want to drop powder charge? Or is this crazy talk?

How did you find this load? Ladder test, OCW, groups?? What is the recipe?

The speeds should be reversed my lysdexia kicked the load was developed useing OCW, it is 44.6 Varget Winchester brass BR2 primers OAL is 2.85.

The speeds should be reversed my lysdexia kicked the load was developed useing OCW, it is 44.6 Varget Winchester brass BR2 primers OAL is 2.85.

You left out the bullet info.
    If it were me I would look at it like this; I came up with my load by using the center of a node in an OCW test. If I switched powder lots and my POI changed then I am obviously out of that node I found originally. To make sure that it wasn't just me that day or maybe something had shifted with the gun or the scope I would shoot some of my known GOOD ammo I had left over with the OLD powder to check POI against the new powder. It will only take 3 shots so why not try it?
    You do have some ammo left over with the old powder, right?
    If you truly found the center of a node in an OCW test then I wouldn't have expected a POI shift. An accuracy change maybe but the powder lot would have to be a good ways off to change POI. Most of my OCW tests so far have shown that there would have to be anywhere from .4 - 1gr difference in the charge to change POI. I would suspect I had a bad day or something in my rifle system changed if I got your results.

Well, the good news is that you have 8 pounds of the same lot now. I have had to piece my Varget stash together one or two pounds at a time, whenever I can find it, so I now have numerous 1 pounders of various lot numbers. I haven't been loading for 308 much lately because I've been playing with another gun, but I'll be interested to see if I find much variation when I start switching lots of Varget.

First, I wish I had the problem of useing a new lot.............................

shoot your old load too, make sure something else didnt change

Load down to match your developed load velocity and your accuracy should return. Varget is notorious for varying burn rate lot to lot. Matching the velocity will put you back in the promised land.

Jeffvn

Thanks I have 10 bullets from old lot I will try, I am loading 175 SMK I did check to make sure everything was tight I will find out this weekend. We got lucky and ordered 24LBS before the shit hit the fan.

I have kept a 8# jug and when I get a pound here and a pound there, I pour them into the jug and shake it like hell.

Be it right or wrong, I'd chrono old load, then work up or down to match the new load. Easy breezy, Done. Hopefully the groups will match at that point.

I think I found out what happened the brother of my buddy that I reload with came and was going to reload some shells he had 100 CCI large rifle primers that he put in same sleeve as BR2s no telling how old these primers are. I have to pull some bullets and kick primers out and then see how new lot of powder works with BR2s.

A stupid, possibly dangerous question... ahemm. If you have lot to lot variations of the same powder... ahemm, uh... could one just uhhh.. mix the lots all up together to reduce the effects? :eek:

Edit; To be totally clear, I'm talking about varget with varget or H4350 with H4350 NOT IMR with Hodg or other such nonsense.

A stupid, possibly dangerous question... ahemm. If you have lot to lot variations of the same powder... ahemm, uh... could one just uhhh.. mix the lots all up together to reduce the effects? :eek:

Edit; To be totally clear, I'm talking about varget with varget or H4350 with H4350 NOT IMR with Hodg or other such nonsense.

A thread was brought up about this a few days ago and the concensus was about 50/50. I for one plan on doing exactly what you're discussing. I am very very lucky though. The gods of reloading blessed me with 2 orders of 10 1lbs from different vendors of the same lot number.