• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VARIOUS GAP RIFLES for sale?

kyle1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Corpus Christi
just to solve my curiosity... if GAP rifles are so accurate/good...why are there always so many for sale? Is it just a "trading up" issue, or is there something I'm missing? From what I've seen here, it seems like they shoot well enough, but there are always quite a few in the classifieds for sale.

Re: GAP's for sale?

My guess is a good portion has to do with the economy. When push comes to shove people would rather lose a several thousand dollar rifle than their car or house

GAP is for sale? Oh, nevermind.

[...brought to you by the society for the preservation of the apostrophe.
laugh.gif
]

Re: VARIOUS GAP RIFLES for sale?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awwwwww great.... an internet ninja!

LOL

wise ass! </div></div>Internet Ninjas have to stick together; otherwise how could we ever derive why so many used cars exist out there. Is it that they don't work, or what?
grin.gif

Some of us have rifle ADD. As for now there is no cure and we will take donations for further research
smile.gif

I'm going over buying another rifle... I've never owned anything on that level, and just wondering if money is better spent going down a different path...

the one thing I am sick and tired of, is buying an off the shelf rifle, only to find out 1.5 MOA is the best it will shoot after spending 5 months and hundreds of dollars on ammo.

last gun I bought was an LTR, which shot great with one particular load, but not worth a shit with everything else. problem was, I don't handload, and that one particular load was not cheap.

Don't read too much into it. Lots of reasons people sell rifles. Not just GAPs. As mentioned the economy has hit people hard and they need money. Also you get a fair share of people who just NEED another custom rifle and then get it in and use it a couple of times and then 6 months later they see something else they NEED.

The amount of GAP rifles for sale has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the product as they are some of the most accurate rifles available. No real "trade up" to go to in my opinion.

I see lots of cars for sale. I see lots of the best Bass Boats for sale as well. It means nothing except when the GAPs come up they torture me because dont have funds to purchase them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going over buying another rifle... I've never owned anything on that level, and just wondering if money is better spent going down a different path...</div></div>In my opinion the only comperable option is an AW. Not only are GAPs excellent rifles, but George and crew stand behind them for repairs and are happy to do modifications should you need them. If I saw a used GAP that was configured the way I wanted it I would not hesitate to buy it.

You will also see optics go through selling cycles on the forum about 3 months ago it was USO's then there were alot of NF F1's for a while.

My guess has always been that one person posts it for sale then other guys go "Hey I can get how much money for my XXXX then you see 3,4, 7 for sale at a time.

Also alot of guys here are swapping around perfectly good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP is for sale? Oh, nevermind.

[...brought to you by the society for the preservation of the apostrophe.
laugh.gif
] </div></div>

Made my day...thanks.

check other gun sites, prolly not nearly the amount of GAPs for sell on them. The reason is the group of guys on this site know how valuable a gun a GAP built rifle is, so why not sell it to guys that appreciate it and understand its price tag? If one was to list one on other sites theyd get replies like "gee wilickers, that der rifle is 3,000 dollars? whats it made of, pure gold, my SKS with countersniper is just as effective"

as to why they are being sold, as stated these days some guys need the money more than the rifle to support their families, and they can get a substantial amount for their GAP, and they are worth every penny of it.

dipshit fucktards on barfcom would never spend their money on anything outside of us Cavalry in the mall

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check other gun sites, prolly not nearly the amount of GAPs for sell on them. The reason is the group of guys on this site know how valuable a gun a GAP built rifle is, so why not sell it to guys that appreciate it and understand its price tag? If one was to list one on other sites theyd get replies like "gee wilickers, that der rifle is 3,000 dollars? whats it made of, pure gold, my SKS with countersniper is just as effective"

as to why they are being sold, as stated these days some guys need the money more than the rifle to support their families, and they can get a substantial amount for their GAP, and they are worth every penny of it.

dipshit fucktards on barfcom would never spend their money on anything outside of us Cavalry in the mall </div></div>

Lol. Well put.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a GAP rescue service. I'll take any GAP you can't afford to feed any longer.
smile.gif

</div></div>

I have one for sale...

I'm selling mine because I can't afford to keep it. Which for lack of better words, sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a GAP rescue service. I'll take any GAP you can't afford to feed any longer.
smile.gif

</div></div>
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just to solve my curiosity... if GAP rifles are so accurate/good...why are there always so many for sale? Is it just a "trading up" issue, or is there something I'm missing? From what I've seen here, it seems like they shoot well enough, but there are always quite a few in the classifieds for sale. </div></div>

Here's a question for you Kyle, in the hopes of answering your own question.

How many used Chevy's, Toyota's, and Winnebago's would you expect to see at the average Ferrari dealership? How about a Ferrari website? How about even, a "high-quality and performance minded vehicle" website?

Care to guess?

Sorta has something to do with demographics. Compare that "whole-bunch for sale" with the other tangent of "how many are owned" and decide for yourself.

Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of us have rifle ADD. As for now there is no cure and we will take donations for further research
smile.gif
</div></div>

BIG +1, alot of people (including myself) like to try out different rifles, stocks and other parts from time to time. Alot of people will buy a rifle and find that it is not the setup they were looking for, then decide to try something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amount of GAP rifles for sale has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the product as they are some of the most accurate rifles available. </div></div>

Rob you got that right.

Might also be because GA Precision is one of the largest custom rifle building shops in the world and they have built a shit ton of rifles and there are lots of them out there. Sure as hell doent mean they arent put together right. I've got six different rifles smithed by four different guys who work there and they are all hammers and put together as well as anything I've ever seen.

I'd like to throw in a few other points: Anything for sale is only worth what someone is actually willing to pay you, not what your asking, it appears the GAP's rifles do well on holding their value. As the economy turns down (continues to turn down)people sell those items that have held their value first (history) in order to meet financial demands ( or those things that have increased in value). People die, people can no longer shoot for what ever reason, people get divorced and need to "split assets", etc.. I would expect a lot of "high dollar" optics to to come on the market next, for the above reasons-It will be a buyers market as obama continues his program of economic destruction in the U.S.. And I actually hope I am wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would expect a lot of "high dollar" optics to to come on the market next, for the above reasons-It will be a buyers market as obama continues his program of economic destruction in the U.S. </div></div>

Come on man. . I have to hear this crap everywhere. The biggest side perk of this forum aside from the non-stop functional info is that I don't have to read these same tired political injectures constantly.

As far as the OP, a lot of it is the fact that custom rifles = frozen capital, just like the other members suggested. And a lot is people just want to try something different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would expect a lot of "high dollar" optics to to come on the market next, for the above reasons-It will be a buyers market as obama continues his program of economic destruction in the U.S. </div></div>

Come on man. . I have to hear this crap everywhere. The biggest side perk of this forum aside from the non-stop functional info is that I don't have to read these same tired political injectures constantly.

As far as the OP, a lot of it is the fact that custom rifles = frozen capital, just like the other members suggested. And a lot is people just want to try something different. </div></div>

+1, that's why I like coming on here. People talk rifles and gear, and the discussion pertains to these topics and avoids politics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amount of GAP rifles for sale has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the product as they are some of the most accurate rifles available. </div></div>

Rob you got that right.</div></div>

I guess I got screwed on my used Schmidt and Bender.............
crazy.gif

I will say this about GA Precision - yes, they are that good of a rifle. If you ever felt the action and shot them you would know the difference in a minute. That being said, there are lots of gunsmiths that make that level of precision on this site. And, I seem to making my ways around the site smiths. I have two GAP's, working on a Underground Skunkworks Perseus, and Short Action Customs is re-working a Remmie 223 bolt for me now.

I came to this site a couple of years ago with limited knowledge on Precision rifles but over time I found out what rifles and smiths are the top of their field and started saving money to buy the rifles. It is an addiction. And, I can see why some guys sell their rifles to move onto something else. Once you start on this road it is like Lay's Potato Chips - you can't just have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say this about GA Precision - yes, they are that good of a rifle. If you ever felt the action and shot them you would know the difference in a minute. That being said, there are lots of gunsmiths that make that level of precision on this site. And, I seem to making my ways around the site smiths. I have two GAP's, working on a Underground Skunkworks Perseus, and Short Action Customs is re-working a Remmie 223 bolt for me now.

I came to this site a couple of years ago with limited knowledge on Precision rifles but over time I found out what rifles and smiths are the top of their field and started saving money to buy the rifles. It is an addiction. And, I can see why some guys sell their rifles to move onto something else. Once you start on this road it is like Lay's Potato Chips - you can't just have one.
</div></div>

Well said
smile.gif

Cant wait for my GAP rifle as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess is a good portion has to do with the economy. When push comes to shove people would rather lose a several thousand dollar rifle than their car or house </div></div>

What he said, with economy the way it is alot of people who a few years ago could afford to drop a few thousand on a rifle are now in economic trouble and need help. I might just sell my car rather than part with a GAP rifle though,LOL.

I sold one of mine to fund a Hendsoldt for another
wink.gif

Politics aside, a lot can change in ones financial situation in the 4-8 month interim between ordering a rifle and delivery. The above poster who mentioned tied up capital is also correct. I have two GAP target rifles and sometimes can't help but think about the $7000 sitting there waiting to become an AW, or a S&B, or several house payments or...whatever. AG

Maybe because there are so many GAP's for sale is a testimony that it is one of the most desireable, sold custom built rifles out there being purchased. GAP is not the only excellent custom rifles out there and George will probably agree. Terry Cross with KMW rifles is a hell of a builder but doesn't sell any rifles without his patented stock anymore. Surgeon is probably the front runner in my opinion. If you can get a GAP built rifle with a surgeon action which will cost you a little less than a full build surgeon then you have a life long shooting stick imo.

Look at how fast Gaps sell and how much the guys are getting for them. That is a huge testament to their customer service, quality and durability. Try buying a new car, driving the piss out of it and then selling for damn near what you paid for it five years later!!!

The way they hold their value I think I might put all my retirement funds into buyingGaps!!!
smile.gif

I just sold my Gladius here. Had absolutely nothing to do with wether or not I liked it or if it was a quality piece.

Awesome rifle, great build......simple truth, I needed to thin the herd and I know the GAP name gets me the highest resale and the quickest sale.

I'll buy another without a doubt.

I am pretty happy about it. That is how I have gotten mine : )

They hold their value pretty well and are in high demand. If I needed cash in a hurry, I would sell mine... then hopefully pick up another when I could.

Something like that is probably why you are seeing it OP.

As others have posted, most of the sales are because of the economy or that people just want to try out something else instead of what they have now. With the resale of GAP's, you don't lose that much. If you do buy a used GAP or anything else, make sure the barrel is not shot out. A buddy of mine just got a 7wsm from someone a couple of months ago that was supposed to be shooting 2-3in groups out to 500 with ease. After he bought and shot it a couple of times, it would not group worth piss. Found out the barrel is shot out and there is erosion about 3-4 inchs up in the barrel. Make sure you buy from someone reputable.