• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varmint AR-15 barrel

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm putting together a long range varmint gun for rabbits at 300-400 yards. This rifle will be my first gun for reaching beyond 100 yards. Here are my priorities for the barrel in order of importance.

1) accuracy
2) price (~$500, less would be nice)
3) weight (I'm young and can move a heavy gun, but would prefer not to)
4) can shoot common bullet weights

This is what I've come up with at this point
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156629/...?cm_vc=wishList

I like the versatility for the 1:8 twist, and I'm under the impression that a 24" barrels may not be worth the extra weight if you have to lug the gun around on a long hike.

I am very open to suggestions. Please weight in.

Thanks

Re: Varmint AR-15 barrel

I have a Krieger on my Varmint money pit.

If I do it again: I will just get the 20-inch Noveske varmint barrel.

AnschutzNerd

OP

I think you'd be quite satisfied with a 20 inch tube, 1/8 twist, chambered for .223, instead of 5.56, which has too much free bore to get the bullet off from the best start. The 20 inch, 1/8 tube will accommodate most any bullet; and, it will produce enough velocity to get most any bullet to twice the distance you are shooting to. For long life, as well as accuracy consider a cut rifled SS barrel from Saturn. In my opinion, Steve Saturn's cut rifled barrels are very good. Choose a contour that's pleasing to your eye as even a moderately stiff quality rifled barrel today, whether cut, forged, or buttoned will not have the tendency to distort from the heat of rifle fire as was a possibility long ago.

I had a 20" WOA (white oak armament) that was a tack driver.

Sold the AR to fund a different purchase.

I built a rifle this past year that would fit in with your idea a little. I put an 18" 1:7 Noveske SPR on it. It fits your budget and comes with a matched bolt, and gas block. It has proven its slf to be quite an accurate little shooter with 75gr Hornady OTM and 60gr Nosler BTs...

Its lighter than "varmint" barrels, but I wanted it to be nimble and reasonably light weight while retaining accuracy.

C_K

all the above suggestions are solid though. most importantly get good products and build something you will be happy with.

I've got the 20" Noveske upper and really like it. If your looking for a Noveske barrel try getting a hold of the guys at Werner Arms they were very helpful.

NovVar_zpsffcc3fb8.jpg

I went with the WOA 18" SPR profile
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/white-oak-armament-223-wylde-ar-15-match-barrels-prod54526.aspx?avs|Length_1=18

They do 20" as well. All reports on them are great that I've seen and they are very cost effective