• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varmint or Tactical?

mpmilton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Prattville, AL
Hey everyone, Im a newb here so pardon any errors. Im wanting to get in the LR game but I have been hunting my entire life. Thanks to the large knowledge gained on this site and others I have narrowed my options down to the SPS tactical or varmint in .308. This rifle will be for punching paper at 300-500 yds and hunting white tail and hogs at 100-200 yds tops. Im a college student so the budget is limited and I will be shooting factory loads. I like the idea of a 20 inch barrel but the varmint is a little cheaper. Im not seeking extreme accuracy either. Im content with MOA results. My main question is what are the main benefits of each? or will they be negligible at these ranges. Do I pay more for the barrel length I want or go with the cheaper option? Sorry if I forgot any need to know information.

Re: Varmint or Tactical?

I would say go for the tactical. I think it will be what you are looking for. Also because you are on a budget you can reinforce the hogue stock your self to increase the accuracy a little, I did this my self and it worked good. Also look into the aac-sd it is pretty much the same but with a threaded 1-10 twist barrel you can later install a brake on it.
my 2cents

The tactical seems more suited to your needs, but the SPS Varmint has a $75 rebate running until the end of May.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...teRoundup1.aspx

Just something to consider. They are close to the same gun in many respects. If you plan on swapping out the stock at any point I would go with the SPS-V and take advantage of the rebate while it lasts.

Buy the sps.If you want take off the milk jug sell it and pick up the hogue cheap and you will still be money ahead for ammo.
I have a sps in 22-250 with the original stock and handloads it did really well and shot factory loads moa or better.My groups got smaller when I put it a B&C then I robbed the B&C for another rifle and put a hugoe take off on the sps.I have been happy with the hogue but when buying a new rifle I would not spend more for it.

I have them both in 308 and shoot them both regularly.
The SPS-V will be less expensive to purchase and shoot, as in my experience the 26" will shoot the cheaper ammo with much more accuracy. Not saying the Tac is less accurate, but you will have to move up to better ammo.

The Tac is much more lighter and easier to maneuver with the 20"bbl.

I put my Tac in a M40 clone config and the SPS-V into the hogue stock. Here is what I came up with. BTW Krylon Fusion camo will stick with a middle coat of Fusion clear and dust with camo to knock off most of the shine. Just dont run a fingernail across it.

DSC03516 by roggom, on Flickr

if you will be swapping stocks, get the cheapest one, the one with the rebate. you can always cut a barrel down. is the contourthe same, just longer for the two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you will be swapping stocks, get the cheapest one, the one with the rebate. you can always cut a barrel down. is the contourthe same, just longer for the two? </div></div> That's my understanding.

If you're going to keep the original stock I'd go with the SPS-T. I say that because I did :p

A little work on the SPS-T's stock and you can take care of the flex issues (if you even have them).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> is the contourthe same, just longer for the two?</div></div>

Same contour and same twist.

If money was not an issue I would say Tac all the way.

If I were you, I would go with the Tac. your not going to save that much money by going with the other gun and in about 3-6 months that $75 won't seem that big compared to the fact that you didn't buy the rifle you wanted to.

I went with the tactical. Lighter, easier to maneuver and the hogue stock is way better than the remy stock on the varmint.

I'm probably going to get an SPS varmint. Why? it is cheaper, and I dont mind the longer barrel. And I plan to replace the stock.

get them before may ends and get that rebate. the sps-v is 490?ish?? brings it down to close to $400

Thanks everyone for all the comments and inputs. I plan to go with the tactical, the difference in price would be almost made up if I decided to get it cut down and then the $75 rebate isn't a game changer over time as stated. And I plan to replace the stock either way in the future.