• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

varmint rifle ideas

thechristianbear2001

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Canadian, TX
I have a r-15 that I use primarily for my predator hunting adventures but have recently received my stamp and now am in possession of a yhm titanium phantom suppressor. I realize that bolt rifles will be quieter than a semi auto so I began thinking about lightweight, short barreled, and threaded barrel guns I could use for my calling. Figured I would ask y'all…. Any .223 factory threaded guns out there that y'all like with great accuracy out of the box? My shots are typically 200yds and in but would use it for hitting steel at the range also much further out

Ruger American, particularly the Predator model (not sure if the Predator is available yet, though)

I have a heavy barreled savage 24" .223 that came factory threaded 5/8"-24 for just such a task. Accutrigger, accustock, reasonably priced, shoots under and MOA. Since you haven't bought it yet you might see if that suppressor is rated for a 22-250 or .220. While a bolt .223 is certainly fine and up to the task, the higher velocity of these alternatives will really open up a varmint. I will be making my third trip out west this summer prairie dog shooting, shooting suppressed you will have a great time.

the ruger predator .223 is out there, I've got one. it has a 1-8" twist, so it will shoot heavies. they are sub-MOA accurate. my suggestion would be to have the barrel cut to 18" like the .308 or the compact version, and then use it with the suppressor. you'll be amazed at how good these rifles feel in the hands with the short barrel.

22-250..... Hard to beat.

Grab a used Savage and if you fall in love the pre fit barrels from mcgowan are superb.

Im planning to pick up a Ruger American-Predator if that counts for anything.

Either that or a Savage. Id stay away from the lower end newer Rems unless you intend to mod it. Though I do have a 1970s R700 in .222 that is a gem to shoot. Triple deuce may be a "old" round but I think most have forgotten its one of the most accurate .224-cal cartridges in existence. Pick some good 40 or 50gr varmint bullets and it will still produce the velocity too.