• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes varminting scope - 22-250???

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
What scopes are yall using on your varmint rigs? I want a 50mm objective, and something that collects light real well to use at night with spot lights...

I have a steiner military that is awesome but too expensive for what i want here.... then the SWFA scopes i have are great during the day.. but i cant see the reticle at night under spot lights....

last scope i had that worked real well was a zeiss conquest... but i sold all my scopes a while back and went to mil/mil only with 30 inch tubes....

what you fellers think?

Like said above this is for a 22-250... i dont need it for shooting past 400 yards during the day, and at night most times shots are 100 yards or closer

a 3-15 power scope or something would be nice for me here...

I like a nice thin reticle or small target dot for vt rifles.
Currently I'm using a Leupold vx-3 LRT 6.5-20x50 with 30mm tube, side focus, & varmint hunter reticle on a cz 550 varmint rifle in 22-250 rem & am VERRY impressed with it. You can buy these scopes for under a grand.
I like them much better than the Zeiss conquest, especially the micrometer dials. If I were going 1 inch tube, then I might choose the Zeiss.
I hope this helped.

Ill have to look at those... i forgot about leupold... lol never owned one tho either...

I think this would be a solid choice: Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 Swarovski - Camera Land NY

The BRH and BRX reticle are mil-based. Exceptional light transmission and clarity/ resolution and super light weight. Can't ever go wrong with a Swaro :cool:

Good point on illumination.

The Vortex in the 50mm objective 4-16x and 6-24x would be decent, though the coatings aren't quite up there with euro hunting glass for darkness performance, but still plenty useable for twilight.
Others in the PST's ballpark price (illuminated) would be: Weaver Tac 3-15x50, and Burris XTRII 3-15x50. Both should be nice.

One other to look REALLY hard at is the new Nightforce SHV. 4-14x56 with illuminated MOAR reticle. Word on the street is they are fully the optical quality of the NXS and has extremely good twilight performance. I kind of forgot about this scope til just now, but to me it stands out as a top contender for the OP's use.

Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 MOAR Riflescope C522 for sale!

I had the same quandary a few months ago. Ended up getting a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50.

As far as glass quality its the best for the $ spent.

I was wanting to get the sightron s3, but a few spoke about eye fatigue after spending an afternoon shooting pdogs with it.

I already had a conquest 3-9x40 my yote rifle so I went with another since I had confidence in their quality.

Leupold would be my 2nd choice, but for 400 yds and under a 1" conquest will serve you well.

For varmints I would never pick vortex. Glass quality isn't to my liking at all.