• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix PLRF or Leica HD-B

XOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Oregon
Hello All,

Obviously yes, I've researched this question and read all the places you'll find on Google. So, I'm looking for new/updated input.

I have a pair of Bushnell 1 Mile ARC LRF binoculars. They are a good value and I like the idea of a rangefinder and binocular in one unit very handy in the field and competition. However, the glass on these units are just mediocre and in bright sunlight they have a problem really working well over 800m. In dimmer conditions they are reliable though out to 1 mile most of the time. However, I think I want an upgrade to get very consistent readings at least to 1000m in all conditions. Further is fine if the range finder can do it, but I want 1000m to be the minimum consistent range due to my style of shooting.

I can buy a Vectronix PLRF15C for a good price. I am also looking at the Leica HD-B LRF binoculars. I know that the PLRF15C will undoubtedly be better at ranging and will consistently do 2K+ without trouble. So they are king of the hill in terms of ranging.

The Leicas appear to be maxed at 2K, but I'm hoping will be OK for out to 1000m consistently. Plus they have the ballistic computer, barometer, etc. built-in so it's less gear to fumble with when in the field. I give up absolute maximum range for better magnification and bells and whistles for the computer, atmospheric compensation, etc.

My question then for people who hopefully have used these products (or close to them like Terrapin, etc.) are:

1) For people that have moved from a Vectronix to a binocular like the Leica HD-B, do you regret it?

2) Anyone move from an all-in-one binocular back to a separate binocular and high performance range finder like the Vectronix and been happier? Why?

3) Has anyone used the Leica's in foul weather for ranging? Was it reasonably reliable? Understanding of course that all range finders are affected by bad weather like fog, rain, snow, etc. I'm just trying to find out if they go blind as a bat, or are still usable to some degree with accuracy. I suspect the Vectronix will perform in bad weather, but just want to see if anyone can give input on the Leicas.

4) Assuming the Vectronix PLRF15C and Leica HD-B are the same price, which would you buy given all of this and why? I can't buy both!

5) In the Leica, would you get the 10X or 8X? Assuming use for hunting, glassing for game, competitions, etc.

Anything else you can provide for input on this buying decision is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am fortunate enough to have both (PLRF10). Important question, how large are the objects you'll typically be ranging? The Leicas are very nice but I have difficulty ranging small objects (steel plates etc) accurately with them. The PLRF is much better in that regard. Obviously, the magnification on the PLRF is less and the Leica's are much better for observation.

If you can only afford one, I'd get the PLRF and also carry a good (but less expensive) pair of compact binos in 8-10x. Of course that means two pieces of gear to manage vs only one if you go with the Leicas.

Let's say ranging anything from 6-9" plates at under 1000m, IPSC at 1 Mile and 1 sq. meter at 2000m. Ranging game anywhere from 100m-1000m in alpine environments. Also ranging in bad weather conditions (rain/fog) is common when hunting and the sun at mid-day is very strong.

The Bushnells for instance are reasonably good in most situations, but in light fog and bright sun they start to suffer. At the last match it cost me two stages where the range was wrong/imprecise on one target near 500m, and basically no reading at another near 1100m. I had to bracket/guess to get something reasonable (but at that range a slight error means a miss which is what happened). At one mile and beyond the Bushnells just weren't reliable enough which was expected.

I was thinking the Leicas would be better than the Bushnells in terms of ranging (e.g. good enough for 1000m consistency), but I still get to keep the convenience of the all in one unit. I am just concerned that they will let me down in a pinch for really tricky ranging situations or not work well in less than perfect weather.

Last edited:
The Leicas can definitely range that far. It's the size and accessibility of the object that makes accurate ranging difficult. Also, if there are any tree limbs etc remotely in the area of the target, they'll throw the Leica off. It has to do with the size of the cone of the laser. It's a technical matter that someone smarter than me can better describe.

Another consideration is magnification. It is difficult to hold steady on a small target with 8-10x magnification. The lower magnification on the Vectronix is easier to use when ranging small targets off hand.

I love both pieces of equipment and they'd be the last things I'd ever sell. But if I could only have one, For the objects and distances you describe, the Vectronix is the obvious choice IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Basically it has come down to:

1) Best ranging: PLRF
2) All in one/less equipment to juggle: Leica HD-B

So I will pick my poison and move on...

I looked at the Steiner only briefly. I didn't consider them because I thought they lacked ballistic computer, barometric pressure and angle compensation though. How do we know they are better than the Leicas or not for ranging? Anyone tested them? Do they do angle compensation or density altitude readout?

The only thing that has kept me from buying the Vectronix honestly is the fact that I moved from separate binos/rangefinder to an all in one unit specifically because I didn't like juggling around different pieces of gear. Plus, finding and ranging targets quickly with the binocs is so much faster than going from binos back to the LRF, then back again, etc.

The only reason I'm debating going back to separate pieces is because the Bushnells just didn't cut it in bright sun at 1000m+ ranges. And I'm not sure the other binos are going to work better yet or not.

I figure in five years that binoculars will have totally replaced independent rangefinders anyway as the tech improves. They probably will have wind reading features by then also.

Last edited:
I linked the thread where real end users like Pike have used all three; the Geovids, the Terrapin, and the Steiner with LRF. That's how we know the Steiner's are better at ranging, people who are top finishers in matches using them and giving real world reports on how they work in hot, sunny conditions.

Read the thread, lots of good info. No the Steiner's don't have a ballistic computer but the Geovid's is only in MOA anyways and nobody is JUST using that for come-ups for good reason.

I hear you on the single unit for scanning and ranging. I'm wanting the same. I may still do a Terrapin. The angle compensator does not matter to me as much and the ballistics computer is lame in the Geovids so no matter. Reliable ranging to 1500 yards and working in sunlight is the most important thing to me.The Geovids have a known problem of not performing in bright sunlight past 800 plus or minus. The Steiners seem to only lag a bit behind the Terrapin in ranging, even in sunlight, again look at my thread.

In short, people that are using the Steiner Bino's with LRF are actually considering selling their Terrapins. The same cannot be said of those with Geovids. That should say enough right there. Plus you could save $1000 by getting the Steiners. Things are moving fast in the optics arena and Steiner is becoming a big hitter with a lot of bang for the buck.

PLRF, just in my experience, primarily because I need to know the distance, regardless of weather (PLRF gated is great) and I need to know it on my first try.

Forget warranty, electronics. End of story. 5 Vectronix units and never a problem...Swaro (4X) never an issue. All but one Leica = excellent. One bad sig.

Only one Leica gave me an issue the Leica 2200R - brand new 10 minutes on rear deck wouldn’t range to 600 on a clear day. Had to return them as “used” to the dealer...just the way it is.

My first Sig2000 was a 35 yard max RF. Sig responded 4 months after I filed, fortunately the dealer simply stepped up and gave me a new unit, which worked very well.

I have owned, used terrapin, 10/15
Leica 1000/1200/1600
Leica original 8x42 Geovids / 2000B/2200R
Sworo’s / Zeiss / Sig /Leupold/ Bushnell

Over 20 Rf’s in the last 20 years...only 3 failures

Great deals on some PLRF’s right now.