• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix PLRF05 pics

ChrisF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand
Hi Guys ,

Has these for a couple of weeks , finally took a photo of the pdf pages , only way i could think of to post these pics .

Later Chris

DSC05302.jpg

DSC05303.jpg

DSC05304.jpg

DSC05305.jpg

Re: Vectronix PLRF05 pics

i saw an earlier post on these, whats the approximate cost gonna be compared to the 10 and 15???

From word of mouth around the forum. for the plrf05 - under 2k
for the plrf10 3700ish

u cannot compare this to the 10 or 15. Its expensive and really NOT worth that kind of money for a basic rangefinder.

Save up and get the real deal 10 or 15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> u cannot compare this to the 10 or 15. Its expensive and really NOT worth that kind of money for a basic rangefinder.

Save up and get the real deal 10 or 15. </div></div>
i will take this into consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> u cannot compare this to the 10 or 15. Its expensive and really NOT worth that kind of money for a basic rangefinder.

I wonder if it would have some value in the hunting market. I know the IV/21 is not light, not sure how the 10/15 compares. For a light hunting model, I'd trust a vectronix over competitors. Just depends on compactness.

Save up and get the real deal 10 or 15.</div></div>

I would really like to see this side by side with the Swaro or Leica 1600. Based on the bare stats, it looks like an expensive version of these, in which case, they are just cashing in on the name. If they are being conservative with the figures, it would probably be worth the cash for those of us shooting medium capacity cases.

Anyone know the beam divergence? Is it 6 volt like the 10's?

Jeff

Yeah , just got a copy of the manual & brochure .

range 20-2400m

specified range 1800m

beam 0.4 x 2.4 mil

yds , meters or feet

weight 500g

glass reticle ( lit as well )

Price point $1950 USD

Thanks!!

beam 0.4 x 2.4 mil

Please correct me if I am wrong, So at 1000 yards the beam is about 14.4" tall and 7' 3" wide.

Pretty wide compared to the PLRF10 that is only 4 1/2'.

Jeff

Yeah, it's a big beam, so that is kind of a downer. Basically the same size as a Leica. But the range seems significantly more than what is available in the marketplace today (for the sporting rangefinders).

Would have been nice with a bit more power on the lense 5x magnification seems to be not enough.
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mirage98</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> u cannot compare this to the 10 or 15. Its expensive and really NOT worth that kind of money for a basic rangefinder.

I wonder if it would have some value in the hunting market. I know the IV/21 is not light, not sure how the 10/15 compares. For a light hunting model, I'd trust a vectronix over competitors. Just depends on compactness.</div></div>

The IV/21 are huge the 10 and 15 are same size as the 5. There is no RS232 output on the 5 as it only ranges nothing more.

Hunting? Just how many hunt at beyond 1600yds on game?? Not many.

From the Vectronix brochure:
- - - - -

<span style="font-weight: bold">PLRF 05 Technical Data*</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Optics</span>
Observation monocular Magnification 5x

Field of view 142 mil / 8°

Objective diameter 24 mm

Fixed focus

Recticle illuminated glass reticle with 5 mil graduation

Eye relief 20 mm

Dioptric setting ± 4 diopters

1064 nm laser protection attenuation factor O.C. >4

Range Finder (distance)

Laser type 905 nm, class 1 eye-safe per IEC 60825-1 ED 2.0 (2007-03), ANSI Z 136.1 (2007)

Range capability 20 m to 2400 m

Specified performance 1800 m at visibility 30km, 2.3m target, albedo 0.6 detection probability >90%

Accuracy ± 3 m

False alarm rate < 2%

Resolution on display 1 m / 1 yd / 1 ft

Multiple targets up to 3 targets in line of sight

Time per measurement 0.9 s

Repetition rate 12 per minute

Beam divergence, typical 0.4 x 2.4 mil

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Display</span>
Type light emitting diodes (LED) with automatic brightness control and dimming for image intensifiers

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Data displayed </span>
Slope distance and other functions according to the user manual

Unit Settings meter, yard, feet

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Physical</span>
Housing aluminium anodized
Colors: coyote brown, green
Tripod interface standard 1/4 inch thread

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Dimensions</span>
length 128 mm / 5.0 in

width 104 mm / 4.1 in

height 47 mm / 1.9 in

Weight with batteries 500 g / 1.15 lbs

I spoke with Vectronix today and we'll get some details on a variety of their products and solutions as well as some hands on for people to compare to other available units.

It has no jack for a data cable at all , it ranges ONLY .

If any one is so interested as to want to see the manual , flick me a PM , and will send .

The " F " , function button , just changes the units , m , yd or feet etc .

I look at this as a milspec/ruggered veraion of the Swaro at 2 to 2.5 times the cost .
Retail price is around $1950 USD

Cheers Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has no jack for a data cable at all , it ranges ONLY .
Cheers Chris </div></div>
sucks... looks like i'm gonna have to wait on a 10 or 15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hunting? Just how many hunt at beyond 1600yds on game?? Not many. </div></div>

I'm not referring to the range capabilities of the unit. Rather, the repeatability and accuracy of Vectronix units. However, from this thread, it looks like the beam divergence isn't much better than the other commercial units.

I used the vector in Iraq, EXTREMELY durable.... it'd be the better choice (depending on the use,and the depth of your pocket)

Sigh. I know it's possibly a no-go for .mil purposes... but I'd really like to see somebody step up with a good LRF that does Bluetooth (RS-232 is so 1960s!).

Device/Software + BT Kestrel + BT LRF = Firing solution with one button press, and no cables to deal with.

That would take all the fun out of it. First round hits would only make you have to buy a bigger badder gun!I am leaning on the 10 maybe a 5

In EU / Italy his retail price is € 1.700,00 + 21% VAT , availability in 3 weeks ,

PP out

good to be in the USA, our price is $1995, no VAT, no sales tax.

You're right , the prices in USA are always cheaper then in EU , even on EU products , I still have to understand why ?

PP out

There is a BT model Vector, as well as a BT attachment for the PLRF 10 and 15. The US military has still not approved BT for field use, for obvious reasons.

@Pinco, it is interesting. I think there must be some hidden costs in distribution, bumping up the base price, not to mention the VAT which is not so hidden.

Regarding BT, I have also thought about a nice BT local network tying Kestrel, range finder, and ballistic computer together. Ideally all but the Kestrel would be in the scope itself, and we would read the solution on a scope HUD display that could be turned on/off. And this scope sw would be readily upgradeable as much as a smartphone app would be. That would be something pretty cool.

I thought the jack in the PLRF 10 was only for a remote to range? Only the PLRF10C would actual communicate with a Recon? Am I missing something?

If that's the case besides a tighter beam what does the PLRF10 really have over the 5? If it does take a PLRF10C to work with a Recon or other device now we are talking a big difference in price (4300.00ish)

good question... not clear that the 10 has measureably longer range spec (2500 vs 2400m). I suspect it can more reliably range within the 2500M spec, esp with targets that exhibit lower IR reflectivity.

Hi Wes ,

sorry for taking so long to reply my friend , I have one PLRF10-C , outstanding & rock solid , absolutely reliable even under the worst weather condition instrument indeed

PP out

I agree 100%,,,,,If your're gonna step up to the plate, step up to the plate and swing. I've owned several swaro's and have a leica 1600,,both of them have issues kissing 1,600 yards during mid day. I also have the PRLF10, and it smokes the swaro and Leica. I can get a solid 1,900 yards during mid day in scorching sunlight and a solid 2,500 yards when the sun is not beating down on the hill side.
I would not encourage anybody to spend $2,000 on a range finder that isn't much better than the Leica or Swaro. Save your money and get a PRLF 10.
My 2 cents
zman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree 100%,,,,,If your're gonna step up to the plate, step up to the plate and swing. I've owned several swaro's and have a leica 1600,,both of them have issues kissing 1,600 yards during mid day. I also have the PRLF10, and it smokes the swaro and Leica. I can get a solid 1,900 yards during mid day in scorching sunlight and a solid 2,500 yards when the sun is not beating down on the hill side.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I would not encourage anybody to spend $2,000 on a range finder that isn't much better than the Leica or Swaro.</span> Save your money and get a PRLF 10.
My 2 cents
zman</div></div>

Really???
vovo6o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree 100%,,,,,If your're gonna step up to the plate, step up to the plate and swing. I've owned several swaro's and have a leica 1600,,both of them have issues kissing 1,600 yards during mid day. I also have the PRLF10, and it smokes the swaro and Leica. I can get a solid 1,900 yards during mid day in scorching sunlight and a solid 2,500 yards when the sun is not beating down on the hill side.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I would not encourage anybody to spend $2,000 on a range finder that isn't much better than the Leica or Swaro.</span> Save your money and get a PRLF 10.
My 2 cents
zman</div></div>

Really???
vovo6o.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">So you're telling me that the new PRLF 5 that has a Specified Range of 1800 meters, and cost $2000, is going to range 4938 yards?????
They have either invented some super awesome technology (if this is the case, who wants my PRLF10?) OR you are smoking some wild weed my friend!!!</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree 100%,,,,,If your're gonna step up to the plate, step up to the plate and swing. I've owned several swaro's and have a leica 1600,,both of them have issues kissing 1,600 yards during mid day. I also have the PRLF10, and it smokes the swaro and Leica. I can get a solid 1,900 yards during mid day in scorching sunlight and a solid 2,500 yards when the sun is not beating down on the hill side.
My 2 cents
zman</div></div>

Really???
vovo6o.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">So you're telling me that the new PRLF 5 that has a Specified Range of 1800 meters, and cost $2000, is going to range 4938 yards?????
They have either invented some super awesome technology (if this is the case, who wants my PRLF10?) OR you are smoking some wild weed my friend!!!</span></span> </div></div>

You realize the guts on the PLRF05 are probably not that far off from the older model PLRF10 right?

Mine doesn't do quite as well, best was around 4500yds on reflective targets. It easily doubles what I could get with my Swaro and Leica on non-reflective objects.

You see the picture yourself and the numbers its says !! I ranged 4300 yards last week with mine-obviously the clearer the atomoshere the better rainging will be -the Terrapin is a very good device .I had trouble rainging some things over 3km when the air wasnt clear but then again all devices have limitations when conditions are not good !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see the picture yourself and the numbers its says !! I ranged 4300 yards last week with mine-obviously the clearer the atomoshere the better rainging will be -the Terrapin is a very good device .I had trouble rainging some things over 3km when the air wasnt clear but then again all devices have limitations when conditions are not good ! </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> I have to tell you that my PRLF 10 wont do much over 2,500 yards..Although I have seen fotos like the above with the PRLF 10 showing close to 3,000 yards on reflective targets. But most of time we are ranging hill sides for long range shooting and when the sun is not blaring it will hit 2400 yards to 2500 yards. And most of the other PRLF 10's that I have seen are similar.

I am yet to get mine into the hills to range and will report back my findings .All my rangeing has been from one side of our harbour into our city at different buildings .White buildings have produced better results more often and I used a tripod. For me and my rifles a mile is all I will need for now so in reality this tool is amazing and well priced to boot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see the picture yourself and the numbers its says !! I ranged 4300 yards last week with mine-obviously the clearer the atomoshere the better rainging will be -the Terrapin is a very good device .I had trouble rainging some things over 3km when the air wasnt clear but then again all devices have limitations when conditions are not good ! </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> I have to tell you that my PRLF 10 wont do much over 2,500 yards..Although I have seen fotos like the above with the PRLF 10 showing close to 3,000 yards on reflective targets. But most of time we are ranging hill sides for long range shooting and when the sun is not blaring it will hit 2400 yards to 2500 yards. And most of the other PRLF 10's that I have seen are similar. </div></div>

Also, if your prlf 5 is smoking our prlf 10s, there's going to be a few pissed of folks on here who purchased their prlf 10
s last year for $3,700. To pull these kinds of distances, Vectronics would have needed to develop newer technology, and if so, why they would not put the same in a higher end unit (prlf 10) is beyond me????
Tell me, how far will your unit range mid-day on open hill sides, (rock, trees, vegetation, etc)?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see the picture yourself and the numbers its says !! I ranged 4300 yards last week with mine-obviously the clearer the atomoshere the better rainging will be -the Terrapin is a very good device .I had trouble rainging some things over 3km when the air wasnt clear but then again all devices have limitations when conditions are not good ! </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> I have to tell you that my PRLF 10 wont do much over 2,500 yards..Although I have seen fotos like the above with the PRLF 10 showing close to 3,000 yards on reflective targets. But most of time we are ranging hill sides for long range shooting and when the sun is not blaring it will hit 2400 yards to 2500 yards. And most of the other PRLF 10's that I have seen are similar. </div></div>

Also, if your prlf 5 is smoking our prlf 10s, there's going to be a few pissed of folks on here who purchased their prlf 10
s last year for $3,700. To pull these kinds of distances, Vectronics would have needed to develop newer technology, and if so, why they would not put the same in a higher end unit (prlf 10) is beyond me????
Tell me, how far will your unit range mid-day on open hill sides, (rock, trees, vegetation, etc)????? </div></div>

Funny my PLRF10 ranges trees at 2500m+ and individual power lines at 2700m+

I am sure I am correct in saying the PLRF10 has a much tighter beam divergence which is what you are paying for also hence being able to range cables at such distances .
I got my Terrapin because I had trouble with my Swaro in a flat feild at 7-800 yards not only hitting the object aimed at but stuff way behind and sometimes the beam wasnt strong enough out past 1000 odd yards .I have hit 1800-1900 with the Swaro before but not consistantly where as the Terrapin 2 km wham bham thankyou mam its reading straight away -so far

The PLRF05 fills the gap between upper end hunting range finders and the PLRF10. I was out shooting what the Swaro and Leica could consistently and accurately range. After using the PLRF05 for the last couple of weeks I find it to be all the range finder I will ever need and well worth the money. The more expensive Vectronix range finders are very cool but to run my gun out to a mile I just don't need them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see the picture yourself and the numbers its says !! I ranged 4300 yards last week with mine-obviously the clearer the atomoshere the better rainging will be -the Terrapin is a very good device .I had trouble rainging some things over 3km when the air wasnt clear but then again all devices have limitations when conditions are not good ! </div></div>

Tell me, how far will your unit range mid-day on open hill sides, (rock, trees, vegetation, etc)?????</div></div>

I can range rocks, trees and vegetation well over 2500 yards every time and I'm a non-smoker
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree 100%,,,,,If your're gonna step up to the plate, step up to the plate and swing. I've owned several swaro's and have a leica 1600,,both of them have issues kissing 1,600 yards during mid day. I also have the PRLF10, and it smokes the swaro and Leica. I can get a solid 1,900 yards during mid day in scorching sunlight and a solid 2,500 yards when the sun is not beating down on the hill side.
I would not encourage anybody to spend $2,000 on a range finder that isn't much better than the Leica or Swaro. Save your money and get a PRLF 10.
My 2 cents
zman </div></div>

I have to disagree with this as well. I just got my PLRF05 last week and it absolutely kills what my swarovski could do. The Swaro was a great unit for its cost but I wanted something that could range further.

IMO the terrapin fills that role perfectly. I measured a white building at 4431 a few days ago in the middle of the afternoon. I was able to justify the 2k.... I don't think I could have justified the added cost of the plrf10.